PDA

View Full Version : Question about firecracker

luth411
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Firecracker has been an awesome tool for offensive strategies for me. It's particularly effective in manhunt. In my limited experience, I notice that using it causes all the NPCs to fall and cover their eyes while any player characters will stand dumbly looking obvious.

On the receiving end, do players affected by firecracker experience a white screen? I've been blinded several times like this, and while I don't lose control (I've both evaded and assassinated while blinded) I can't see anything. I wasn't sure if this was a seperate ability or the same one.

Munktor
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
imho it's dumb and they should fix it where if you're blinded you react just like an npc - but to answer your question YES.

If you're blinded by firecrackers you still have full control of your char and can assasinate/stun/evade/run what haev you with no penalty or minus other than there's a white haze on your screen for a bit.

I've been seeing players use it for the very same reason you described. It's obvious who is who in a crowd being PC's just stand there and every NPC hits the ground covering their eyes.

luth411
11-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. Your comment about it being 'dumb' is curious. If you're blinded and react like an NPC, what is the purpose of the ability?

Clearly, this ability (like every other ability) should offer a distinct advantage when successfully executed. If firecracker offered no evidence for the pursuer...what's the point? Say the contract persona is blinded by a white screen. If I just wait out the blind effect, eventually it fades and the pursuer saw nothing that would indicate his mark.

If you mean that once you've been affected by firecracker you're basically S.O.L., I agree with you. It's very difficult to counter.

However, I have been blinded and had time to quickly deploy a smoke bomb. The blind clears before the smoke does. I can stun and move on at that point. This only happens when the pursuer is too slow or just too far away to react in time.

Munktor
11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
The reason for my comment is it's TOO definitive of who the contract is.

I think firecracker should be used defensively and offensively.

On offense you should be blinding your target to limit their escape capability NOT determine who is who in a crowd.

On defense you should be blinding your hunter to allow for quick escape or stun.

Defense it works fine - on offense NOBODY is using it to merely blind their target but instead to pick them out of a crowd which I don't believe is in the "spirit" of the mode personally.

luth411
11-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I can see that point. It does seem to be more effective for offense than defense. Other than a quick smoke bomb, I'm not sure how you would reliably anticipate and counter that. I hadn't thought of using it defensively, and I will be sure to try that out next time I log in!

KCizzll
11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I find this comments odd. The whole POINT is to pick your target out of a crowd... So complaining that it succeeds at this is bizarre. I find it to be one of the least effective methods, at that. Since your target can still run/stun. I have about 50% stun rate while blind because the pursuer pauses to see which one is standing.

Munktor
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Cronstintein:
I find this comments odd. The whole POINT is to pick your target out of a crowd... So complaining that it succeeds at this is bizarre. I find it to be one of the least effective methods, at that. Since your target can still run/stun. I have about 50% stun rate while blind because the pursuer pauses to see which one is standing.

But the "reason" it picks them out of a crowd is because there is NO animation for a contract being blinded.

If it worked properly you'd also grab your face like every NPC does when blinded.

The firecrackers were intended to BLIND the opponent so they had less ability to evade/stun NOT to simply pick them out of a group.

obliviondoll
11-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Actually, according to the text about them in the game, they ARE intended to pick the target out for you.

Problem using them is, like Cronstintein said, you can stun them while they're waiting to see who doesn't duck.

I've only managed the stun once, but I haven't been playing too long yet. I've also had an opponent drop firecrackers, then immediately dropped my own and run away on an angle, and they killed the wrong person.

Munktor
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Actually, according to the text about them in the game, they ARE intended to pick the target out for you.

Problem using them is, like Cronstintein said, you can stun them while they're waiting to see who doesn't duck.

I've only managed the stun once, but I haven't been playing too long yet. I've also had an opponent drop firecrackers, then immediately dropped my own and run away on an angle, and they killed the wrong person.

Fair enough - still think that's silly. If i'm blinded, I should be grabbing my face.

obliviondoll
11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Munktor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by obliviondoll:

Fair enough - still think that's silly. If i'm blinded, I should be grabbing my face. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try covering your eyes with both hands.

Now, without removing your hands from your face, try pulling a knife on someone. Or punching them (not elbowing, PUNCHING)

Doesn't work, does it?