PDA

View Full Version : weather

vertex42
03-20-2007, 10:11 AM
has anyone else gotten really crappy weather?

im 5 patrols into the career and every patrol, except the 1st one which lasted 5 minutes because i landed a spy, has been continuously bad...

storms everywhere, fog everywhere, rain, haze you name it if, if it stinks its always happening...i never have a nice day i can sit on the deck gun and sink ships....and these super merchant vessals take 3 torps to sink so instead of wasting a torp 5 rounds from my deck gun saves me fish but i can't use it because its always friggin raining and bad seas....so im stuck navigating and firing a poor deck gun...

im just slamming my head...trying to vent...all in all its a great game just needs tweeks...

banzai_billy
03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
its the open ocean. it rains. it gets foggy. theres storms. go play a different game my friend! If you played SHIII you'd probably be relieved of the 6 week storms.

vertex42
03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
see i realize that but seeing how for the 27 days im out to sea it can't possible be that bad all the time...it has to at one point clear up...the pacific ocean is the calmest of the two and only during summer months does it rain and that is only the typhoons close to the asian mainland....beside the periodic storms out to see its got to be better than rain for a month straight...

banzai_billy
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
You just answered your own question.
Are you out during the summer months?
Because during typhoon season
it rains all day
every day
for the vast majority of days.

kennitz
03-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I have only played a campaign starting at the very begining of the war. Too date, I have only had sunny or partly cloudy skies. Not rain once, and I think you might be playing during moonsoon season.

glen55
12-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I am on my first mission, beginning of war. I reached station off Hokkaido Dec. 26, ordered to sink merchant shipping. It's now Jan. 3 and has been pouring rain the entire time. The only ship I've actually had a run at, I had to get inside minimum torpedo range to even see it (and see that it was a fishing boat), and of course the deck gun was useless.

8 days seems like quite a long time for constant pouring rain. Is this normal?

alanschu2
12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Hmmm, my weather tends to be pretty variable, but occasionally I get caught in some persistent storms (nothing like SH3 though).

At the same time, sometimes I get stuck in weather that makes the ocean so smooth it's like a sheet of ice.

ancient46
12-23-2008, 10:01 PM
All is not lost when the weather tunrs bad and stays that way for seemingly ever. The remedy is easy,Ctrl N. Use the keys, save and restart the saved game since it causes strange effects at times with environment Mods.

bubblehead1980
12-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I understand the complaint but remember this is a simulation of submarine warfare in the Pacific during WW II and the weather is realistic.I spent a week in a storm but didnt bother me much because I had unloaded my torpedos and was heading home, it kept me from dealing with constant air contacts.I

The best thing is to just submerge during storms if in your patrol area and surface for air...that way not burning fuel(you do burn fuel when sitting idle, not as much as if running but you do burn fuel to power lights etc as real subs did) The weather will clear up eventually.

As far as torpedos go, it depends on what type of torpedo you use and where it hits, different ships react to hits different.Sometimes two torpedos can mortally wound a large merchant but will not sink it until 30 minutes later, which happened quite a bit.

For example, the large merchants or large tanker, usually require 4 torpedos to bring them down instantly but I had taken a huge european line down with one.

General rule....

Large Merchants and Tankers= 4 or more torpedos, 4 usually does the job though.

Medium Merchants and Tankers=3 or 4 torpedos, 3 usually does it.

Small Merchants and Tankers= 1 or 2..1 usually does it.I rarely fire two, if one does not sink it, it will damage badly , then I surface and use deck gun.

You can aim torpedos at different parts of the ship....if you use auto targeting....just point the crosshairs of the scope or TBT over the desired impact point of the torpedo and hit the fire button.For manual TDC...you have to aim the crosshairs and send a new bearing to TDC for each torpedo or use the spread knob.

For example when attacking a medium old tanker.....aim one torpedo for the forward mast, one at the center of the ship and one at the rear, just before the smoke stack.

Some torpedos pack a more powerful punch like the Mark 23 hits hard, thus doing more damage and requires less torpedos to sink a target than a Mark 10 or Mark 14.

Just remember, not every attack is the same so it may take what seems to be too many torpedos to sink a ship but its realistic.

glen55
12-23-2008, 10:16 PM
It's good to hear people saying the weather will clear eventually, because I don't really have enough experience with the game to know that. I hate to go all ctl-N on it - clear weather all the time (Pirates of the Burning Sea) is boring.