PDA

View Full Version : Real footage of near disaster during Axis Scramble at rain soaked runway

Mysticpuma2003
02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Brief clip, but incredibly lucky/skilful pilot as he leads a Scramble take-off from a rain-soaked runway.

Cheers, MP

http://blip.tv/file/4803479

kimosabi79
02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
That's what you call a brown pants moment. Lucky that was under take off with plenty of prop wash.

shop21BB13F44
02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
that's a good clip and the other one on your site, "not my time to die" is excellent too. what a great story! and good use of the IL2 engine.

WTE_Galway
02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Seen that a few times.

Though I think "near disaster" is a slight exaggeration.

Bremspropeller
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Well, almost even more interesting is the SC250-armament hanging on those Doras' bellies... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Plunkertx
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
water can do just as much damage as the terrain. I would never fly that same plane after that incident. Props are probably a little bent out of shape.

M_Gunz
02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
In conditions like that the amazing part is that there wasn't a crash!

Plunkertx
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
yea, that's why you always keep the stick back when flying taildraggers!

rnzoli
02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Norbert Hannig writes about a real crash in his book, in the same conditions. The problem is not what you see in the clip: the nose-over or bending the airscrew is a minor issue, survivable. The real big problem is the immense difficulty to gain sufficient airspeed for takeoff, so the real problem is waiting for the pilots where the runway ends.

In his story, IIRC they were flying out from Kurland, runway very wet and covered with patches of water, still they got the order to take off for ground attack mission against the Soviets with their FW-190 A's. They tried to indicate takeoff is extremely dangerous, still the order stood. 2 pilots were selected, both struggled to gain speed, one of them ran onto a dry area just before the runway ended and he could lift off and climb, the other had insufficient speed, tried to lift off before an embankment at the runway end, stalled, crashed into the embankment, flipped over and the engine caught fire, with the pilot trapped in the seat.

They all ran to the rescue immediately, but without heavy equipment, they could not lift the plane loaded with fuel and armament. Moreover, quickly they had to widthdraw due to risk of explosion. The trapped pilot was screaming and begging them to shoot him so he wouldn't burn alive. Hannig writes that the screaming stopped when they ran away from the plan, i.e., before the fire engulfed the cockpit, so probably someone indeed did what the trapped pilot was asking for, but nobody at the scene wanted to talk about this at all, not even later, so he never knew himself, who did it, and it didn't matter at all.

The order for takeoff was cancelled after this incident and they were never ordered to take off in such conditions again in the short remainder of the war.

major_setback
02-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for uploading.