PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gas Prices

WilhelmSchulz.
07-01-2006, 05:12 PM
My dad was filling up and I saw this "$3.25" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

What are thr gas prices in the rest of the world?

Goose_Green
07-01-2006, 05:31 PM
In the UK it's probably far more expensive here than the USA, in the UK we have bizarrly gone metric and kept Imperial measurements at the same time. I think the Dutch and the UK pay the most for fuel per the litre in Europe but I'm not sure about the rest of the world.

Unleaded Petrol (Gas or Sans Plom) ranges from 92.9p per litre to 98.9p per litre but it depends on geographical constraints - like where you live in the UK.

One of the reasons I walk to work now, fuel is getting more expensive - besides I'm getting fitter now and it's rather nice to escape the congested roads, I have enough trouble with traffic problems when I'm in my truck!

Kaleun1961
07-01-2006, 05:34 PM
When I filled up my Charger on Thursday, it was up to $1.06 Canadian per litre for regular unleaded. Now how to convert that to terms you would understand escapes me. In Canada, our gallon is different to yours; we use the Imperial gallon whereas you use the U.S. gallon. Very confusing.

Anyhow, $1.06 per litre is expensive to us, but as compared to European pricing we still pay much less. I haven't checked the prices since Thursday but I bet they are up from then. This is a long holiday weekend in Canada; the gas companies usually jack up the prices on the long weekend and average prices tend to be higher in the summer months, when there is more demand for fuel. Some would call that price gouging and others would call it the law of supply and demand. It just depends if you are buying it or selling it as to what you call it.

WilhelmSchulz.
07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Goose_Green:
In the UK it's probably far more expensive here than the USA, in the UK we have bizarrly gone metric and kept Imperial measurements at the same time. I think the Dutch and the UK pay the most for fuel per the litre in Europe but I'm not sure about the rest of the world.

Unleaded Petrol (Gas or Sans Plom) ranges from 92.9p per litre to 98.9p per litre but it depends on geographical constraints - like where you live in the UK. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Kaleun1961
07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Europeans have little sympathy when us North Americans complain about gas prices. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

cwhense
07-01-2006, 08:28 PM
well here in the heartland of the USA, Iowa that is I paid 2.83 per gallon for unleaded plus, and 2.89 for diesel last Friday.

they are talking about 3 dollar plus here by the end of summer. Not looking forward to it I have a 45 mile commute everyday for work plus I have pay 12 dollars per day to park. Lucky my truck get about 18 combine city/highway. I am I plumber so need the truck for work, taking the wifes car not an option.

blue_76
07-01-2006, 08:50 PM
$2.92/USgal by my place. I feel sorry for the people with SUVs if i'm filling up for $40, they must be filling for $100 which sounds crazy.. one other thing.. in europe people usually don't drive too far off to work or have other means of transportation.. it is not always so here in the US. sometimes you drive 60 miles one way just to get to work through congested traffic.

Lochmann1957
07-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Here is the toughest part of high fuel prices...

I own a truck that last year to fill cost me about $200, now when I pull up to the pump I am at $500 to $600 to get the same run done, (yes, large obnoxious cross country freight hauler).

It usually takes about six months for the freight rates to catch up, but at some point they will catch up. When they do people always stand around and try to figure out why everything, ( and I do mean everything) costs more.

Inflation on the horizon Captain!

TooFastForLove.
07-02-2006, 12:32 AM
And to think 2 years ago I was beside this 40 foot motorhome at the pumps. When I went to pay for my gas the wife of the man driving the motorhome came in. She was complaining that the pump kept shutting off and she needed about 500L of diesel.

As I left I was trying to fathom the cost of that in my head. But I suppose if you can afford an RV that probably cost well over $100,000, the cost of 500L of diesel isn't that bad.

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Here in Aus' it's $1.68 per litre (Aussie dollars), but Propane is $0.49c per litre. As my car runs on Propane, I get the better deal than my boss.

Rab09
07-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Here in northern California, U.S.A., the gas priceses last week was $3.29/gal and yesterday I saw it for $3.03/gal. It doesn't look like it will ever get below $3.00/gal. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

WilhelmSchulz.
07-03-2006, 03:43 PM
and 10-20 years ago they/we where complaning when it broke $1/gal. If only they could see... Stupid Bush. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Kaleun1961
07-03-2006, 03:46 PM
WS, you gotta be careful when typing numbers. I think you meant to write $1 per gallon, not $10 per gallon. The scary thing is, we aren't that far away from gas at $10 per gallon.

WilhelmSchulz.
07-03-2006, 04:02 PM
there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

turnip_tick
07-03-2006, 04:04 PM
6 years ago i paid .75 per gallon in tulsa oklahoma. i thought it was cool.
the real reason for all the complaining here in the US i believe is because 18 years ago gas in SO CAL was .99 per gallon and minimum wage was 3.25 per hour. now in 2006 minimum wage is 5.5 and gas is over 3.00 nat. avg. that means that while minimum wage went up by a little more than 50 percent, gas went up over 300 percent. and the rise in prices hasnt been smooth, only a few years ago it was 1.30-1.50 a gallon. so its not he price so much as how much it has risen in comparison to other commodities and in comparison to the minumum wage which is often used as a gauge of cost of living. its not the 3.03 i paid yesterday its the fact that it is so high so fast and with no real reason behind it.
i would ask that we try not to make it a political argument. the president doesn't set oil prices, he cant even set domestic enviromental regulations. the president, for my younger readers and those not familar with US political structure, is mainly a political figure head. we call it 'checks and balances' the reality is that it is a built in argument system where in nothing gets done.

comanderFritz
07-03-2006, 04:29 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
Except wage cant go up more. Small businesses that can hardly make it as it is with the high cost of living cant afford to pay there employs more, neither can some big companies. You can€t drive the companies into the ground. If wage goes up so must profits but until profits go up the company can€t afford to pay its employs more. Where will the money come from? A tree? I mean look at the airlines and corporations like GM they pay there employs far above minimum. but some people want more where do they expect the money to come from. the fact is we are all suffering everybody and for those of you blaming the president he desnt controll enything. If you€re going to blame somebody blame environmentalists. If it was not for the laws passed about restrictions to refineries we could build newer more efficient ones and refine more gas faster. There isn€t a shortage of crude oil, Just gasoline. I also believe we should tape into the biggest oil fields in the world Alaska and Siberia why we are not I do not know.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif and do not say because of a danger to the enviroment because that is a bunch of BS

(if i am forced to ill explain in another post but im done for right now

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
OK, as a member of the 'Institution of Gas Engineers, Australia' I need to say something.
C,Fritz, gasoline is manufactured during the 'craking' process of crude oil, as is Diesel oil, as is petroleum and propane. The cost of the extraction of crude oil has only increased by US$2 per barrel over the last 7yrs, the reason we are paying more is however, due to the standard fields drying up. Put it gradually out of reach to the populace by making it more expensive, thus conserving any reserves. This buys time for finding more supplies, or alternatives. BTW, now China is becoming more middle class, more pressure on world oil, this also becomes a huge money maker for governments due to tax revenues

comanderFritz
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
alright wolf your right on that one

exsept 2 more questons then
is that in the US satistics or aust statistics?

but my main point if we need more reserve theres plenty in alaska why dont drill there?

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
The cost of running a pipeline to the nearest port facility, in both wages and materials just now would outweigh any profits. They will do it eventually, but they'll wait till Chinas limited reserves have dried up

comanderFritz
07-03-2006, 05:06 PM
that i must disagree there is so much there it would be worth it. it is estimated there is more there than the mid east. besides there are many piplines already. some run through canada directly to US.

now sibrea need piplines

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM
You missed the point. They wish to maximise profit, therefore, wait till the need is greatest. China has a giant population, growing economically every day. By the time their plots are empty, they will even help fund a pipeline project or two. See what I mean now? Goverments in the western world who already sit on these plots, will use this to milk others for pipeline construction funds - calling them 'joint ventures', they can then get max profit for minimum outlay

comanderFritz
07-03-2006, 05:24 PM
ya we will just wait till there is no more gas left. then open up the oil feilds when the world is starved for it and make a killing. i better buy some land in alaska. lol

turnip_tick
07-03-2006, 05:27 PM
all of that is true. that is most certainly why prices have gone up.
fritz, my reason for using minimum wage over the years still stands. the cost of gas has gone up over 300 percent, while wages have not. that is why people are mad. the point is angry people. when the cost of a commodity that we all depend on soars over 300 times the rst of the economy people get mad. and BTW minimum wage could go up quit a bit in WA state it is 7.63, more than two dollars an hour more than the rest of the country,and yet there are still plenty of gas stations ready to take three bucks a gallon.

turnip_tick
07-03-2006, 05:29 PM
NOOOOO dont buy land in alaska!!!!

when the oil dries up in the rest of the world you will lose your alaskan hidaway to the govt right of way for the oil. the state and fed govt still retain mineral rights, and they will put an oil rig in your living room

comanderFritz
07-03-2006, 05:47 PM
it was a joke i probably wont even go to alaska

i think the gov will contract it out to corporations first before they confenscate land

however the land that does belong to the gov already should be used for whatever the gov wnats to use it for

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Very good point turnip. Don't buy in Alaska, but you'll be on a potential gold mine if you can sell to the Govt now.
Once neccesity kicks in, they'll just kick you out and pay CNN to make you look like a greedy so and so.
Nasty business, but also consider this - all western govt's have shares in certain tobacco co's, with these under threat and smoking under pressure, they must make this loss of revenue up from somewhere, well oil looks like an environmental threat - so they'll tax it more heavily and tell us it's for helping reduce greenhouse emissions

Kaleun1961
07-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Some of that oil up north, I can't say for certain how much, is in areas that have a limited drilling season. These sites are under permafrost and can only be worked during the winter. Because of global warming, the winters are shorter each year. My friend is working for an aviation firm that flies in supplies and equipment to Yukon oil rigs. This past season he says the supplies and gear are just backed up.

Some may hate environmentalists, but they help to keep the government and business honest. There are some cold hearted capitalists out there who don't give a **** for anything but unbridled profit. Look what Union Carbide did to those poor folks in Bhopal, India: killed thousands of them because they took safety shortcuts that would not have been allowed here. Those big lawsuits after incidents like the Exxon Valdez force the corporations to be better citizens and use better technology, like double hulls for oil tankers.

I'm no Red, but if we don't watch what big business does, they'll screw us every time.

hueywolf123
07-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Absolutely! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

comanderFritz
07-03-2006, 09:08 PM
sometimes there is nothing worng with making a profit however safty should never come second

Kaleun1961
07-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Profit should not be a dirty word. It is like money, just a word. It is the love of profit or the love of money that is the root of all evil, as the Bible says. Everybody should have a reasonable expectation of gain for their efforts and labour. It makes the system work, otherwise we would all be living in the worker's paradise, pretending to work while they pretended to pay us.

Sadly, there are real life counterparts to the Hollywood character Gordon Gecko in the movie Wall Street. I mean, how much is enough? For some men there is apparently never enough. They can be sitting on billions and still they scheme to get more. It has gotten to the point where people are treated as expendable assets. You should use money and love people, the corporate world has turned that around to where they use people and love money. We've been there before in history. For a while the working stiff got a fair share and could make a decent living for himself and his family. Now it is going back in the opposite direction.

My brother, a warehouseman, had to take a 20% cut in pay the same year the top 15 execs got at least a million dollar bonus each. Yeah, we really believe it when they tell us we must accept less so the company can survive. Except that "we" means us, not them. My company has never lost a dime since I've been with them and have managed to post record profit quarters numerous times over the last twenty years. But it never satisfies them.

Celeon999
07-04-2006, 02:40 AM
As my post seems to be lost due to the forum downtime .... here are the prices again :

per litre

Diesel : 1,14 "
Normal : 1,34 "
Super : 1,36 "
Super/Plus : 1,45 "
Truck/Diesel : 1,14 "

I leave Biodiesel and Gas and Hydrogen out of this list as only very few people have the necessary car to use it and so its hard to find the actual prices on the internet.