PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming and the economy

AubreyWilborn
02-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Is the bad economy making it harder to make games for the PC? Discuss.

LCGuardian
02-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Good question, but I think it actually divides into three different areas of influence:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>The effect of current economic conditions on the purchase of gaming titles in general.
<LI>The effect of current economic conditions on the purchase of the hardware needed to support those titles (PC components and consoles.
<LI>The effect of current economic conditions on the developers and publishers of games.
[/list]

AubreyWilborn
02-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for responding, man. You bring up a great point with the hardware, and the bells and whistles which go in to making a gaming PC.

I spent...a little over 300 dollars to upgrade my PC, and make it more of a gaming machine. It's still not a top of the line machine, but it will run most of the current games without a hiccup.

I still would'nt trade it for an X-box, or PS3, though. I guess I just like the fact that-like the PS3 commercials say-my PC can do everything. I can use it to develop important data, watch movies, surf the net, balance my checkbook, watch TV.....AND play games. It doesn't get any better than that, for me at least.

ThaWhistle
02-05-2011, 11:39 PM
computers and parts have become ALOT cheaper in the last few years than they have ever been, with inflation.

Game sales have, for the most part, not been heavily affected by the recession, especially with massive blockbusters like Halo, COD, etc.

A lot of tech companies have done pretty good, intel, microsoft, nvidia, they've all been doin pretty good. As far as I know EA has been doing good too, but I never looked at their financials that hard.

I'll say no, certainly the industry hasn't been affected anymore than most others, but I'd go as far as to say its taken less of a hit recently.

I think in the next few years, the price gap between low performance components and high performance components should drop more. I've been making alot of money on that premise as it is.

LCGuardian
02-05-2011, 11:47 PM
And to answer the question generally, I'd say that in my opinion the PC hasn't suffered any more than gaming generally as a luxury good.