PDA

View Full Version : Some quick FB graphics questions, any help....

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 12:21 AM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me which part of my computer would be responsible for the problems I am having. Let me add that I am not saying FB is responsible in any way for my problems, I have just been curious for a long time concerning these issues. They are not really problems, just examples of when I have poor performance. So could someone tell me whether it is my graphics card, cpu, and/or memory that is the problem with the following issues.

My setup is Radeon 8500-64MB, Athlon 1800XP, 512 pc2700(333mhz) Ram, and soundblaster live value. The game runs great in OpenGL at 1600x1200, and with all excellent settings except when:

-When I fire the cannons on the Me-262 my game freezes for a slight moment. This seems to be the only plane that this happens with, and I suspect it is due to the huge muzzle flash. So would this be a graphics card issue? No problem in external view when firing.

-When I fly over cities the game chops a little. I guess this is cpu and memory combo?

-When I accelerate time the game chops. Again I would guess this is a cpu and memory issue.

-Game runs poorly in perfect mode. I assume this is all three needing to be upgraded, still I am curious which is most responsible.

-Game slows down when flying through explosions. I don't know, I assume it is the same as the 262 problem.

My main concern for now is the 262 flash=pause problem. I will be upgrading soon to Athlon 2800XP, adding another 256MB's of RAM, and buying a 9800pro or something similar.

One last question, does your sound card effect performance at all as far as cpu usage, etc. Would it make any difference if I went from SB live value to Audigy 2ZS?

Any help would be appreciated.

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

Message Edited on 10/10/0311:24PM by kyrule2

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 12:21 AM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me which part of my computer would be responsible for the problems I am having. Let me add that I am not saying FB is responsible in any way for my problems, I have just been curious for a long time concerning these issues. They are not really problems, just examples of when I have poor performance. So could someone tell me whether it is my graphics card, cpu, and/or memory that is the problem with the following issues.

My setup is Radeon 8500-64MB, Athlon 1800XP, 512 pc2700(333mhz) Ram, and soundblaster live value. The game runs great in OpenGL at 1600x1200, and with all excellent settings except when:

-When I fire the cannons on the Me-262 my game freezes for a slight moment. This seems to be the only plane that this happens with, and I suspect it is due to the huge muzzle flash. So would this be a graphics card issue? No problem in external view when firing.

-When I fly over cities the game chops a little. I guess this is cpu and memory combo?

-When I accelerate time the game chops. Again I would guess this is a cpu and memory issue.

-Game runs poorly in perfect mode. I assume this is all three needing to be upgraded, still I am curious which is most responsible.

-Game slows down when flying through explosions. I don't know, I assume it is the same as the 262 problem.

My main concern for now is the 262 flash=pause problem. I will be upgrading soon to Athlon 2800XP, adding another 256MB's of RAM, and buying a 9800pro or something similar.

One last question, does your sound card effect performance at all as far as cpu usage, etc. Would it make any difference if I went from SB live value to Audigy 2ZS?

Any help would be appreciated.

<center>

Message Edited on 10/10/0311:24PM by kyrule2

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Soundcard wise, the Audigy will help reduce CPU cycles for sound effects etc. This could be the fix for your freezes during gun firing.

If you have 5.1 surround speakers and place them correctly, you will get amazing sound too.

Why not try the cheaper player package by creative. It will be less expensive than graphic card or ram.

Correct setup of hardware devices are also important, as they might be the route to problems.

My advice is soundcard usually put in 4th PCI slot(2nd from bottom).

There were some threads relating to Audigy in tech support, so search 4 those here.

All the Best

If you decide to get Audigy only install stuff you need from CD.

Message Edited on 10/11/0312:12AM by Btl_Avon

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the advice Avon, will do.

<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:49 AM
My 262 freezes on firing too, but most of the time it does not. I never figured out why it does sometimes and others there is no flash at all.

My cities slow framerates too, nothing new.

Like any decent flight sim, FB calculates all the physics and AI stuff needed every unit of time. When you accelerate time FB must still calculate everything multiple times for the above given unit of time. Exceed FB's ability to calculate in real time and you see chop. I think that is the game slowing down to allow all the needed calculations.

Try an experiment:: Set up a massive FMB mission with maybe 100 aircraft and see the chop framerate, then slow down time and you see an improvement. Accelerate time in such a massive mission is impossible.

-Game runs poorly in perfect mode.

Awww, poor thing. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Lexx, I think you missed my point. I am looking for what component(s) of my cpu would be responsible for these issues. The 262 thing is interesting on your end. Like I said I am not blaming FB, and I know that accelerating time demands more from my pc. I was just wondering what would improve the different issues, whether it be adding more memory or increasing cpu speed. Does the soundcard effect performance? What would increae framerates in cities, memory or cpu? Nice comment about not being able to run the game in perfect mode. I wasn't expecting to do so with my current computer, and I think your comment was uncalled for. I just wanted to know what computer component is responsible for making this more playable. I understand why my game runs poorly at times as a whole, but I am wondering/curious as to what part is responsible for each issue (like the 262 thing).

*THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT

<center>