PDA

View Full Version : Should a cover system be implemented in ACR?

KrYpToNiC95
08-28-2011, 12:20 AM
From playing other games such as Uncharted and Batman I realised how being able to tack over was vital in stealth aspects. Excellent example was the first mission in uncharted where you sneak past all of those guards. Do you people think that being able to take cover in ACR would enrich the gameplay a bit?

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 12:37 AM
I think a crouch button would. Not an actual cover system, though.

acjake
08-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah a cover system would be pretty awesome. Like crouching and being able to lean against walls.

eagleforlife1
08-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Yes, I've wanted this for a long time.

alastris
08-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the AC series was one of the first games to rely on social stealth. As the series progressed to brotherhood, they've started to deviate away from social stealth and often times I felt like I was playing a splinter cell game with some missions to avoid detection. This deviation isn't a bad thing, but they should give us the tools we need, and if there are going to be "dont get detected as you infiltrate this area" kind of stealth then we would need a cover system.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by alastris:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the AC series was one of the first games to rely on social stealth. As the series progressed to brotherhood, they've started to deviate away from social stealth and often times I felt like I was playing a splinter cell game with some missions to avoid detection. This deviation isn't a bad thing, but they should give us the tools we need, and if there are going to be "dont get detected as you infiltrate this area" kind of stealth then we would need a cover system.

You can use hide spots, sides and roofs of buildings, and careful timing and analysis of enemy guard patterns to get through said missions. no cover system is needed. you want cover, you hold down the jump button while standing behind something to crouch.

Admittedly, this is a little annoying, so that's why I think ubi should give us a crouch toggle button, while not making us slap onto walls and such.

And really, AC1 wasn't that much about social stealth, expecially if you count blending by yourself, which was really strange and unconvincing. It was really about not being spotted by guards by staying out of their LOS.

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:

That's one of the things I mentioned in my first post on this board when UBI was asking for our input.

An assassin should be able to duck and crouch so they aren't seen. All we can do is stand there like an idiot lol

That feature would really improve the game imo.

waynedavies89
08-28-2011, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

That's one of the things I mentioned in my first post on this board when UBI was asking for our input.

An assassin should be able to duck and crouch so they aren't seen. All we can do is stand there like an idiot lol

That feature would really improve the game imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the the crouch option.
just standing there feels disconnected, even more so when your waiting at a corner for a target. Maybe implement a cover system there?

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Just crouching, no fancy cover system.

Xanatos2007
08-28-2011, 08:46 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Ubisoft were onto something when they introduced the 'social stealth' aspect in AC1. It didn't rely on hiding behind cover or using disguises to remain undetected, but rather on minding your behaviour and blending in with the populace to move about unnoticed. Of course since AC1 was a bit of a rushed development they didn't have time to push this mechanic to its full potential, but now that the core engine is out of the way they can try concentrating on developing the 'social stealth' more instead of giving us so many damn tools.

The "stealth" in the previous two instalments was more focused on running about on the rooftops and hiding behind chimneys, the occupants of the buildings below apparently having stuffed their ears with chalk before going in. With the AI and character controls these sections quickly became rather frustrating: the game was not designed for this sort of stealth. The few times we had to blend into the populace, by contrast, were a lot smoother and fit better with the notion of being "a blade in a crowd".

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:

Ubisoft were onto something when they introduced the 'social stealth' aspect in AC1. It didn't rely on hiding behind cover or using disguises to remain undetected, but rather on minding your behaviour and blending in with the populace to move about unnoticed. Of course since AC1 was a bit of a rushed development they didn't have time to push this mechanic to its full potential, but now that the core engine is out of the way they can try concentrating on developing the 'social stealth' more instead of giving us so many damn tools.

The "stealth" in the previous two instalments was more focused on running about on the rooftops and hiding behind chimneys, the occupants of the buildings below apparently having stuffed their ears with chalk before going in. With the AI and character controls these sections quickly became rather frustrating: the game was not designed for this sort of stealth. The few times we had to blend into the populace, by contrast, were a lot smoother and fit better with the notion of being "a blade in a crowd".

I really wonder why you're on this site sometimes...

I mean, sure, you can communicate your criticisms, but most of the time you come off as an while doing it.
<span class="ev_code_RED">Language please. Also insulting others is not ok...</span>

Xanatos2007
08-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't mean to sound cynical, arrogant or direct, but I am so that's how it comes out.

C112408E
08-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I really think a cover system would be perfect for this game. It's a little too late to add something like that, though. For such a big feature, it would've already have to have been shown.

nickfern19
08-28-2011, 09:14 AM
You can't always rely on social stealth in this game. I don't remember gentle pushing my way into the Castel Sant'Angelo, no, we really need some sort of tiptoe button. At least something stealthy enough where we can jog and not be caught. I'm pretty sure we've seen Ezio take cover and look around corners before, why can't Ubisoft try it out?

naran6142
08-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by nickfern19:
You can't always rely on social stealth in this game. I don't remember gentle pushing my way into the Castel Sant'Angelo, no, we really need some sort of tiptoe button. At least something stealthy enough where we can jog and not be caught. I'm pretty sure we've seen Ezio take cover and look around corners before, why can't Ubisoft try it out?

always thought that myself, in cut scenes ezio sometimes takes cover but we cant do it in game.

cover system would be a great improvement, a way of being stealthy without more weapon. though if it isnt in ACR now then its probably to late to put it in the game. but for but it would be nice for AC3

dxsxhxcx
08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I would like to see something like this implemented, they should also create a feature where we are able to draw the guards' attention from a corner or hiding spot (benches, haystack, etc) without being detected, something similar to MGS when Snake hit a wall or whistle to make a sound and the guards near him start looking for him, I know we have the bombs now but there's a lot of difference between the sound of a bomb and a whistle..

GunnarGunderson
08-28-2011, 04:04 PM
just put the cover system (including corner kills and such) in

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Yep .
How many times are you in an area where there aren't other people milling around - - inside restricted areas trying to stay undetected as you move closer to your targets.

I'd say to the previous poster, I'm not so sure why it has to be one or the other (social blending vs. crouch/duck) instead of both.

E-Zekiel
08-28-2011, 05:40 PM
For those of you who haven't tried it, hold R1(high profile) and press X (leg button) without moving http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You will crouch/duck.

I've covered a few times this way. Though it's not quite the same as actual cover.

DeclanMinty
08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
(Copied from my post on AC:B Feedback thread)

Yes. For a franchise which is so fixated on the concept of covert assassinations, the lack of an intuitive stealth system is a truly bizarre design choice. Assassinations in the previous games have required little if any skill, and many descend into wanton daylight slaughter - hardly the work of a professional.

To their credit, some AC:B memories and parts of the Leonardo side-missions required the player not to be seen, but the current 'stealth' system makes this clumsy and impractical.

Might the developers consider adopting a more challenging and immersive approach to assassination? They need look no further than Ubisoft's very own Splinter Cell series to gain some creative inspiration.

NewBlade200
08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

This is not Splinter Cell, this is not Prince of Persia, this is not Call of Duty, this is Assassin's Creed! Why can't people understand that? Is it that frightening to have something different? Why is it that everywhere I look I see people who can't stand the thought of a single series being different, so they want to change it into something they see every day? Now we have bland stories, despicably easy combat, and scripted explosive missions that bore me to sleep! Even the devs are doing this. Assassin's Creed should not have bland stealth that focuses on cover. It should have stealth that is based on being a blade in the crowd.

I wont respond to anything else from this thread, because I will obviously get flamed by halfwits who wouldn't notice quality if it was kissing you right on the lips.

Which already happened.

In Assassin's Creed 1.

acjake
08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
During the gamescom demo where Ezio places a tripwire he just sort of stands behind the horse carriage. It would just fit better if he could lean against the carriage or even crouch behind it.

luckyto
08-29-2011, 08:29 AM
I would like to see this implemented, but in bringing back the LOW PROFILE button from AC1. Move Low Profile to L2 (PS3) and use it for Blending, to walk without drawing attention to yourself, or if pressed against a wall to cover.

Get rid of Assassin Signals.

blazefp
08-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by acjake:
During the gamescom demo where Ezio places a tripwire he just sort of stands behind the horse carriage. It would just fit better if he could lean against the carriage or even crouch behind it.

Yeah or sited on the back wheel eating an apple and waiting for the dumb guards to fall in the trap xD

naran6142
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:

This is not Splinter Cell, this is not Prince of Persia, this is not Call of Duty, this is Assassin's Creed! Why can't people understand that? Is it that frightening to have something different? Why is it that everywhere I look I see people who can't stand the thought of a single series being different, so they want to change it into something they see every day? Now we have bland stories, despicably easy combat, and scripted explosive missions that bore me to sleep! Even the devs are doing this. Assassin's Creed should not have bland stealth that focuses on cover. It should have stealth that is based on being a blade in the crowd.

I wont respond to anything else from this thread, because I will obviously get flamed by halfwits who wouldn't notice quality if it was kissing you right on the lips.

Which already happened.

In Assassin's Creed 1.

even if they put a cover system in AC it will still be one of the most unique games out there

and i dont think anyone here dislike the stealth in the games, but they just want some improvements to it.

a cover system, if done right would make the stealth look more fluid

but i to would like more "blade in the crowd" type stealth missions where you have to walk among the people to get to your target

acjake
08-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by blazefp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by acjake:

Yeah or sited on the back wheel eating an apple and waiting for the dumb guards to fall in the trap xD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol what?

Calvarok
08-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Which already happened.

In Assassin's Creed 1.

Prince of Persia and Call of Duty don't have cover systems.

If games never took features from each other, then games would never evolve. Being unique at the cost of not having a feature that exists and could improve the game is stupid.

Assassin's Creed 1 was quality with no polish, which actually means it wasn't quality at all. Great concept, not enough testing or content, lots of bugs and unfinished mechanics.

Assassin's Creed 2 was quality period.

shobhit7777777
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
A Crouch option would sort things out.

The closest thing to cover in AC should be an option where Ezio casually leans over a wall, folds his arms...as he follows/tails a target...make him look inconspicuous

nickfern19
08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Now we have bland stories, despicably easy combat, and scripted explosive missions that bore me to sleep! Even the devs are doing this. Assassin's Creed should not have bland stealth that focuses on cover. It should have stealth that is based on being a blade in the crowd.

Which already happened.

In Assassin's Creed 1.

Fine. Then they should utilize that original, unique idea that was presented in Assassin's Creed 1 of being a blade in the crowd. That was the thing that brought up hype for the game, the social stealth and the way crowds reacted to you. If blending and gently pushing people out of the way brings people to Assassin's Creed, then they should bring it back in all the missions! It's not like what they did in AC:B has to go away completely, but it's really ineffective in reality to stand facing a wall and trying to see if a patrol has passed yet.

It doesn't make any sense, the older Ezio gets the more he actually wants to take on an army 1 vs. 100? Stealth doesn't make your back crack as much.

D.I.D.
08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Here's a good example of why they shouldn't add crouching/cover until the AI of the townspeople improves: http://youtu.be/20QBe43tyVM

Joking aside, if you go crouching behind a fountain in a busy square, that's how the NPCs ought to react. They should spill away from you and cause the guards to immediately come and check you out.

Samuel032593
08-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by DoubleclickTF:
Here's a good example of why they shouldn't add crouching/cover until the AI of the townspeople improves: http://youtu.be/20QBe43tyVM

Joking aside, if you go crouching behind a fountain in a busy square, that's how the NPCs ought to react. They should spill away from you and cause the guards to immediately come and check you out.

I love that guy lol I've watched a couple of his videos, and they are freakin' hilarious lol

iN3krO
08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:

I really wonder why you're on this site sometimes...

I mean, sure, you can communicate your criticisms, but most of the time you come off as an while doing it.
<span class="ev_code_RED">Language please. Also insulting others is not ok...</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is in this site for the same reason as me, i'm sure he prefers ac1 over ac2 and acB, and we are not getting a better ac game then ac1 from what ubisoft is doing.

I really understand everything he said and i think like the same.

Calvarok
08-29-2011, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewBlade200:
Now we have bland stories, despicably easy combat, and scripted explosive missions that bore me to sleep! Even the devs are doing this. Assassin's Creed should not have bland stealth that focuses on cover. It should have stealth that is based on being a blade in the crowd.

Which already happened.

In Assassin's Creed 1.

Fine. Then they should utilize that original, unique idea that was presented in Assassin's Creed 1 of being a blade in the crowd. That was the thing that brought up hype for the game, the social stealth and the way crowds reacted to you. If blending and gently pushing people out of the way brings people to Assassin's Creed, then they should bring it back in all the missions! It's not like what they did in AC:B has to go away completely, but it's really ineffective in reality to stand facing a wall and trying to see if a patrol has passed yet.

It doesn't make any sense, the older Ezio gets the more he actually wants to take on an army 1 vs. 100? Stealth doesn't make your back crack as much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ezio is actually at his strongest right now. The only times he's complained about his back or how difficult things were getting was when he was either seriously injured or still not fully healed from a serious injury.

He is more able to take on 100 men or climb a building now than he was at 20.

And while I support AC taking good features from other games, I don't think an actual cover system would be good. An animation system that allows Ezio to crouch, and changes depending on if he's crouching at a wall or peering around a wall is a much better idea in my opinion.

The whole blade in the crowd thing is cool as something you can do, but basing the entire game around that is impossible, as we've seen in even AC1, where most of the targets had to be reached using non-social stealth.

EDIT:
And I personally enjoy a whole lot of the things that have been done in AC2 and Brotherhood. But just as even you will have to admit that AC1 had problems that meant it wasn't perfect, both of them do too. However, all they need is a little tweaking and the right design philosophy, and they'll be perfect.

Revelations has that design philosophy behind it (Give players the tools and environments and missions to allow them to play how they want, scripted action sequences should rely on the player using more actual gameplay elements within them so they don't feel so jarring gameplay-wise.) and hopefully it will have some of the existing mechanic-tweaking.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say to your "I liked AC1's style of play better, I think it is the best AC" is that I liked AC2's style of play better, I think it is the best AC.

And quite honestly AC stealth IS cover-based. We just don't call it "cover". We call it line of sight. And crowds in AC are mobile (or stationary) cover. You can throw all the fancy names at it you want, but all stealth is based on being in places that the enemy can't see you, wether it's because there is a wall in the way, or because you blend in with the environment you're in.

I hide behind walls and smokestacks to avoid rooftop guards ALL THE TIME. That's use of cover. The only difference between that and a splinter-cell like system is that I can't rely on ONLY it. And the suggestion in this thread isn't even about making cover the only thing used in stealth. It's about giving us a system that makes the times where we used cover ANYWAYS much smoother.

acjake
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
And while I support AC taking good features from other games, I don't think an actual cover system would be good. An animation system that allows Ezio to crouch, and changes depending on if he's crouching at a wall or peering around a wall is a much better idea in my opinion.

Exactly!

eagleforlife1
08-30-2011, 01:44 AM
I didn't want bombs in the AC world at all but unfortunately it happened. However, I've got the choice whether to use them or not. To all those who say they don't want a cover system why can't one be implemented with the player's choice of whether they want to use it or not?

Moultonborough
08-30-2011, 01:54 AM
I have often thought it would be nice to have a crouch button. But nothing else.

LightRey
08-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Ezio is actually at his strongest right now. The only times he's complained about his back or how difficult things were getting was when he was either seriously injured or still not fully healed from a serious injury.

The whole blade in the crowd thing is cool as something you can do, but basing the entire game around that is impossible, as we've seen in even AC1, where most of the targets had to be reached using non-social stealth.

EDIT:
And I personally enjoy a whole lot of the things that have been done in AC2 and Brotherhood. But just as even you will have to admit that AC1 had problems that meant it wasn't perfect, both of them do too. However, all they need is a little tweaking and the right design philosophy, and they'll be perfect.

Revelations has that design philosophy behind it (Give players the tools and environments and missions to allow them to play how they want, scripted action sequences should rely on the player using more actual gameplay elements within them so they don't feel so jarring gameplay-wise.) and hopefully it will have some of the existing mechanic-tweaking.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say to your "I liked AC1's style of play better, I think it is the best AC" is that I liked AC2's style of play better, I think it is the best AC.

And quite honestly AC stealth IS cover-based. We just don't call it "cover". We call it line of sight. And crowds in AC are mobile (or stationary) cover. You can throw all the fancy names at it you want, but all stealth is based on being in places that the enemy can't see you, wether it's because there is a wall in the way, or because you blend in with the environment you're in.

I hide behind walls and smokestacks to avoid rooftop guards ALL THE TIME. That's use of cover. The only difference between that and a splinter-cell like system is that I can't rely on ONLY it. And the suggestion in this thread isn't even about making cover the only thing used in stealth. It's about giving us a system that makes the times where we used cover ANYWAYS much smoother.
You said everything that needed to be said in this thread.

the_atm
08-30-2011, 07:22 AM
no. he's an assassin, he hides in plain sight...

luckyto
08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
You can hide, but expanding the LOW PROFILE mechanic from AC1 does make sense. This could include crouching, hiding behind objects and blending.

nickfern19
08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

EDIT:

You said everything that needed to be said in this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually agree with everything you said. I was just saying that since he's saying he wants to be a blade in a crowd, they should have added a couple more missions involving social stealth so it's balanced out, and makes the game more "original".

What I also meant by Ezio being older is that he sure does have a lot more skill and experience than he did when he was 20, but since he's aging he won't have quite as much energy to fight so often, and that's why he would take the chance to avoid fighting and use stealth to his advantage. He can definitely climb a lot more efficiently, but with that scene with the doctor in AC:B and in the demo from AC:R Ubisoft emphasized the fact that Ezio is having a lot harder time doing things that "used to be easy".

I think I posted before that an actual cover system might be too complicated for the controls and would get really sticky. I just want there to be some animation, like you said, to see without being seen. It doesn't make any sense to be able to look around a corner just because you can move the thumbstick around, while Ezio's head is kissing the wall he's being covered by.

So I just wanted to clear up that I don't think AC1's style has to be slapped onto the next game, but blending has really only been used in a few missions in Brotherhood and otherwise used when I'm completely notorious. I typed it out completely wrong, and meant that we should have all those options for stealth back, and if we're going to use a lot of designated freerunning paths and hiding to avoid being seen, they should add some sort of cover or make half the missions based on the original concept for AC1, which was awesome to weave and hide in crowds to get to your target. I do the same thing when it comes to hiding on rooftops using chimneys and whatnot, but it's just ineffective that you have to fast walk behind one where pressing one button could get you up next to it and trying to see where the archer went.

Jamison_J_B
08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
I like the idea of a cover system. With the advent of guns, and the uses that cover would have for stealth and unseen "scouting". I'd think cover would be of great use to the game.

jmk1999
08-30-2011, 10:15 PM
i'd like a shadow and lighting system implemented... a la Thief Deadly Shadows. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

acjake
08-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by dom1999:
i'd like a shadow and lighting system implemented... a la Thief Deadly Shadows. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Do you mean something like splinter cell?

jmk1999
08-30-2011, 10:43 PM
most likely... though i don't play splinter cell, so i couldn't say for sure. pretty much just a means of ducking in the dark corners or cast shadows (obviously no night vision stuff). but... at the same time being more visible in light. it adds a nice bit of challenge and depth to an otherwise semi-realistic game (leap of faith into a haystack? really? lol). just think it would be a cool feature. i'm constantly being impressed with how they've brought up the AC series after AC1's mediocrity and repetitiveness.

acjake
08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
That sounds like a great idea. I totally agree with you about how the AC series is constantly changing and getting better. It is amazing how the devs create such artistic and fun games in such a short time.

CRUDFACE
08-31-2011, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by dom1999:

It's funny, how the beginning post talks about the cover system in Human Revolution to something that was in the original I believe. I think they had a light/dark system going on to. But I KNOW that the thief system is praised for its first and second game.

Gasketfuse
09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I think they should change the profile structure so that Low Profile is stealth (with appropriately stealthy-looking kill animations), High Profile is the same and just walking around is No Profile or Medium Profile or something.

CRUDFACE
09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Gasketfuse:
I think they should change the profile structure so that Low Profile is stealth (with appropriately stealthy-looking kill animations), High Profile is the same and just walking around is No Profile or Medium Profile or something.

I thought low profile was stealth?