PDA

View Full Version : Depth charge attacks

Carlos1123
04-08-2005, 11:54 PM
I have a few questions about depth charge attacks since I have the game saved in one and I cannot seem to be able to sneak out of there.

Here is the problem: I keep getting tracked down by 2 destroyers circling my position while being submerged. I have been changing depth regularly, shut down engines and been running on silent. However, the destroyers keep going over my position and since I'm playng in 100% realism, all I can do is stare through the periscope and go ahead flank as I see the ship's hull head towards me.

How can I get out of this one? I think the main problem is that the sea floor is only 40M from the surface and I can only go down to 35M just so that I don't slam into the bottom if a charge pushes me down. The inner boat is repaired, just some damage to the AA gun station.
Also, I'm not very familiar with a ship's sonar, but will the active sonar (or the pinging) send waves 360 degrees and through any depth? Because if this is so, then the problem is not trying so be quiet but out of the sonar's range. Please help, I have tried everything that has gone though my mind to just get away from the destroyers.

Carlos1123
04-08-2005, 11:54 PM
I have a few questions about depth charge attacks since I have the game saved in one and I cannot seem to be able to sneak out of there.

Here is the problem: I keep getting tracked down by 2 destroyers circling my position while being submerged. I have been changing depth regularly, shut down engines and been running on silent. However, the destroyers keep going over my position and since I'm playng in 100% realism, all I can do is stare through the periscope and go ahead flank as I see the ship's hull head towards me.

How can I get out of this one? I think the main problem is that the sea floor is only 40M from the surface and I can only go down to 35M just so that I don't slam into the bottom if a charge pushes me down. The inner boat is repaired, just some damage to the AA gun station.
Also, I'm not very familiar with a ship's sonar, but will the active sonar (or the pinging) send waves 360 degrees and through any depth? Because if this is so, then the problem is not trying so be quiet but out of the sonar's range. Please help, I have tried everything that has gone though my mind to just get away from the destroyers.

Frederf220
04-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Normally you can go flank safely if the DD is going AWAY from you, not toward you.

And I think these DDs can hear your flank engines even over DC's and their own propellor wash.

Gouldjg
04-09-2005, 01:42 AM
I think you have had it mate.

Those circumstances are special enough to attmpt to destriy DD before they destroy you.

reumatiib
04-09-2005, 02:20 AM
well for starters if you sink a destroyer in 50 meters water, chances are if it sinks by the bow or stern 1/3 of it will be sticking out of the water. Once this is done, move up along side it, under the over-hang of the ship. Now the other one won't run over the top of you anymore. It will cirlce. You can finsih it off easily.