PDA

View Full Version : M4T forums??

KRISTORF
04-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I can access M4T but not the forums, is anyone else getting this message?

The URL that you requested, /index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=search&search_id=newposts, requires preauthorization to access.

You are trying to access a restricted area.

We're sorry, but we have reserved this area of our site for administrators only

Thank you for your understanding

AndyJWest
04-02-2010, 08:15 AM
From here (this page still works):
http://www.mission4today.com/i...?name=Home-Community (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Home-Community)

FORUMS DEACTIVATED
Despite several warnings and requests, rewriting and clarifying of rules members have proved themselves incapable of posting in a civil, constructive spirit.
Everybody needs to learn a little tolerance, exercise some manners and practice self restraint. You all need a reality check and I think a short sharp shock is the best way to deliver it.

I am disgusted by the behaviour and demands made by members who seem to think they have the right to dictate site direction or yell or whinge about a small irritation and blow it out of all proportion. blaming the perceived problem on a small number of people when it is their attitude that constitutes a bigger problem in the first place.

I am sick and tired of reading whinging whining threads about how bad M4T is getting, you want to see how bad things can become? Well your looking at it.
If and when I decide to reopen the forum it will be under the condition that rules are followed, on the understanding that even though you may have been a member for years you could still be wrong.
Members old and new be prepared to change your ways

I personally think the whole thing was a storm in a teacup, but this forum isn't the appropriate place to debate the rights and wrongs of the issue. I fully expect it to be back online in a day or two, but that is up to the administrators. You should still be able to download stuff.

KRISTORF
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
'Fair nuff

crucislancer
04-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Very interesting. I haven't really been there much over the past few months, or here for that matter, but I would usually go there when I wanted civility and this place was living up to it's nickname. Things must have really taken a turn there. That's too bad.

FlatSpinMan
04-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow. That's what it was. Hope that snuffs out the people who are ruining things over there. It's always a nice, even place to visit.
Andy is right - the downloads section still works.

jarink
04-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Best to nip it in the bud before it got too bad.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I never really used the M4T forums but it's a shame it's come to this. I'm still angry over all the jerks on the overclocking forum I frequent who could not follow the rules and killed the chat room.

Ba5tard5word
04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Wow. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I haven't been to the forums there in a long while because I usually just come here where the forums seem livelier. I wonder if it was moderator burnout. Seems like if one enforces forum rules there shouldn't be any problems at a forum but again I don't know the details.

WTE_Galway
04-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I only ever used the M4T forums for posts specifically related to mission building and skinning projects though I had noticed the generally helpful and mature tone of the place deteriorating in recent months.

b2spirita
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a <STRIKE>childish</STRIKE> over the top way to respond. Whats wrong with banhammering? How many were there?

crucislancer
04-02-2010, 07:42 PM
It certainly was an interesting reaction, still have no idea what happened over there but it must have been bad. I've rarely seen anything get out of hand there, so it's really surprising, I thought it was an April Fool's joke at first.

BillSwagger
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
For me, i don't mind the arguments/debates but some of the discussions or members tend to make it a personal issue for themselves. That's when it gets lame. It gets to the point where you can't even debate an issue with out someone hijacking a thread and taking it to extremes.

In the end, its that attitude and exposure that ends up ruining it for everyone and so on....

I find the Ubi forums much more flexible or tolerant of certain behavior compared to most other sites. There are other forums that take a more active roll in making sure the atmosphere remain good natured and relevant.

I really don't see all the fuss sometimes, its not like the world has a shortage of pies, or does it?

Bill

crucislancer
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
I really don't see all the fuss sometimes, its not like the world has a shortage of pies, or does it?

My world does. I love pies. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Zeus-cat
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by crucislancer:
It certainly was an interesting reaction, still have no idea what happened over there but it must have been bad. I've rarely seen anything get out of hand there, so it's really surprising, I thought it was an April Fool's joke at first.

The same with me. I must have been missing all the threads where people were bashing each other.

LtLenny
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I saw a thread about the firebombing of Dresden that got a bit nasty.

AndyJWest
04-02-2010, 09:08 PM
From what I can tell, there were a couple of threads where some tactless things were said, and one or two of the 'old hands' used it as a justification for a nostalgia trip about 'how it used to be'. Whether if ever actually was that wonderful I have no idea, but little constructive to 'restore' this was being offered, from what I saw. I have a suspicion that there was more going on behind the scenes, via PMs. Otherwise, I honestly don't understand what all the fuss was about.

Maybe the problem is that people expect too much from a forum, and a little bit of honest verbal abuse is more effective at clearing the air than self-censoring and avoidance of controversy. We are (theoretically at least) mostly adults, and should be able to have a stand-up-row occasionally without bringing the universe crashing down on us. To quote that infamous mad/radical poet, William Blake:

Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence.
That's us, that is....

AndyJWest
04-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by LtLenny:
I saw a thread about the firebombing of Dresden that got a bit nasty.

Well, the firebombing of Dresden was 'a bit nasty'. I'd be worried about anyone who could discuss this in a 'dispassionate' way. I think the debate went fairly well, considering. Like it or not, if you are going to play with a WWII air combat simulator, questions like this are likely to arise occasionally...

WTE_Galway
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
It would have been better if they could have just disabled all posting.

The older threads on M4T forums were a handy source of profiles, download links and other info for skinners and mission builders and often saved a lot of searching.

VW-IceFire
04-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow weird. I've only posted maybe a dozen times to those forums but everything seemed to be so friendly and happy there. I think it's a great site... maybe a few growing pains? Sometimes it's hard to not take things personally (I used to run websites too).

LEBillfish
04-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Frankly....WHatever the site owner wants to do is perfect.

M4T and what it grew from has been an awesome resource for this community for a long time. The message is clear, here are X rules, this is not a democracy and even if it was that democracy follows guidelines.

Now you can take it as "the admin is punishing all for the few".....Yet I see it as the admin is reminding the many of their responsibilities. It is the communities responsibility to stop such BS...Up to you as a member to take the ownership you demand YET also the responsibilities of it and when such antics happen as a community shut it down.

The admin just had to do what the community should have.

Same same r/l.....Bob opens a crack house in your neighborhood, get your neighbors and go tell the cops they WILL run them out or THEY will be out on their backsides. It's your community, protect it....and if those given the power to do so do not then run them out or if there is no other option give them a ghost town to run.

It's that simple.

K2

Ba5tard5word
04-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Other users can't ban trolls and generally if you flip out at their posts you just encourage them. So no, it's not like that.

FlatSpinMan
04-03-2010, 01:59 AM
What the admin at M4T want to do with their own website is completely up to them. They built it, maintain it, monitor it, it's theirs to do what they want. It is up to the user to follow the rules or else go elsewhere.
It's a lot like here, in fact...

The forums are open again. Discussion over.