PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Graphics Cards

SkyCobra
10-29-2005, 07:58 AM
A simple question, is it possible to get a new graphics card for a laptop as my current one is rather old and is having some trouble handling modern games. So, does anyone know if it is possible to change a graphics card in a laptop?

Jumoschwanz
10-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Laptops video chipsets are integrated into the design of the laptop and not upgradeable UNLESS!

1. They are just now coming out with laptops that have "mobile PCI-express", which the owner can swap-out and upgrade. But unless you just bought your laptop in the last few months and ordered it with this you don't have it.

2. You might be able to do a firmware update to the graphics in your laptop, just like they do to upgrade ATI X800s to x850xt specs and performance.

Time to do some research on what you have and what you can do with it.

Jumoschwanz

VVaFFenPanZZeR
10-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Just go get a desktop pc, dont kid urself, it won't play smooth for long. Laptops, don't have the ventalation for gaming. atall.

Shadow1706
10-30-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by VVaFFenPanZZeR:
Just go get a desktop pc, dont kid urself, it won't play smooth for long. Laptops, don't have the ventalation for gaming. atall.

Oh? FB+PF+AEP works fine on my computer when eye candy is turned down a bit. No overheating problems of any kind. Not bad for a four year old laptop.
You're right though. Laptops aren't primarily designed for gaming. They usually aren't upgradable (only expception I know is Dell's Inspiron-series and that upgradability is not officially supported) and they are a compromise between mobility, battery life and cpu power.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
10-30-2005, 04:54 AM
rgr that, I had a HP, and man I wish I did some research b4 investing that chuck, it worked ok for the first 6 months, then down hill, proformance wise, booting was a wait, and trying to run a virus, and adware/spy detecter, and play online, LOLOL yeah right, thats why I got a 3'tall, x 10" wide, x 2' long tower with fans, and a liquid cooler, with 650Gigs of HD space FREE, as in vitual memory, and thats 7200rpm Sata for all 3 SCIS HD's, 1.5 gig of ddr400 ram, 64bit AMD 3400+ cpu, Gforce 6800ultra gtoc card, with any hiccups.

SkyCobra
10-30-2005, 06:06 AM
Well I bought my laptop in September 2003, and since then it has run to very high standards. Take last night for instance, I had it turned on from about 3PM, playing games on and off until about 7PM, then had it on again for about 2 hours playing games, and from about 11PM until 2AM (1AM if you take into account the turning back of the clocks) I was playing a game solid for that time. I could even run Half Life 2 well for long periods of time, and the only lag I ever had with that was about 2 seconds at the main menu when I clicked on load game. So what i'm trying to say is, it runs well for long periods, no overheating problems, not much lag on games, the only problem is a new graphics card is needed for modern games, but now I know it isn't possible to change it, it looks like i'll have to invest in a desktop quite soon.

Thanks for the help.

raisen
10-31-2005, 03:12 AM
Interesting to hear about the Dell policy.... "Let's see, I pay for a lappie with upgradeable video, which you designed into the package, but for which, you are not going to support any upgrades.....". Doesn't sound like a winning policy to me. I'd have thought a few tests would be in order when products become available.

I recently bought a new laptop and was impressed by the ATI Radeon 9700 video card, quite a lot of power for a laptop video card.... The only problem is that even faster laptops are available, but the suppliers seem to spec almost all latops with 256 MB of RAM.

Whilst 256MB is enough for users to run all of the usual suspects -office programs for most laptop users, almost all of the currently available flight sims require 512MB to run at all smoothly. Pacific Fighters UK release packaging even says that it requires 512MB to run at all.

If you are buying a laptop, stuff it with as much RAM as either it will take, or you can afford.

Raisen

Tachyon1000
10-31-2005, 10:24 AM
I play PF on my laptop without a problem. My video settings aren't ramped up or anything but I can play pretty much in normal mode. Running an AMD64 3000+, 512MB RAM, 64MB Video RAM. I'd prefer a desktop PC sure, but I am not much of an upgrader, and I needed a laptop. So I replace my desktop which was 5 years old with the best laptop I could find in my price range. Be that as it may, it runs PF fine, online, offline, what-have-you.

VC81_GLIDER
10-31-2005, 11:22 AM
I have a Dell XPS that I bought last Christmas. It is a 3.4Ghz with 1G Ram and an ATI Radeon 9800 Mobility with 256. I play the merged version with perfect settings and no lag. Just last week at our FNATF Session we played a solid 5 hours including the races we held afterward. The session itself had 100+ AAA guns firing at a given time (includes both sides). Never a lag or stutter. We have a guy that uses a laptop that was a 2.4Ghz, 512 RAM, and 32M Video card (not sure of type) that ran very well in Medium mode until version 4.0 & > came out. So yes a laptop can run it... just don't expect to get the Compaq or HP off the shelf to do it for you if you want the higher graphics settings.

raisen
11-01-2005, 03:41 AM
If you want all the graphical bells and whistles, buy an alienware. Easily the most capable laptop I would think. Heaviest too though, you really wouldn't want one on your lap.

Raisen