PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Fighters - Need help from expereinced.

morrizee2001
11-27-2004, 03:50 PM
I just recently bought the Pacific Fighters game and have come to realize that this is a hard game o learn. I am not going to give up learning how to even fly the plane though...I know nothing about planes or how they operate so it is even harder for me to play the game..I am still learning how to take off the carrier. Can someone give me tips on how to fly the plane better...like..Is it easier to fly the plane with a joystick since I am using the keyboard...etc...what kind of joystick should I use....Any inf. on helping become a good pilot would be appreciated.

morrizee2001
11-27-2004, 03:50 PM
I just recently bought the Pacific Fighters game and have come to realize that this is a hard game o learn. I am not going to give up learning how to even fly the plane though...I know nothing about planes or how they operate so it is even harder for me to play the game..I am still learning how to take off the carrier. Can someone give me tips on how to fly the plane better...like..Is it easier to fly the plane with a joystick since I am using the keyboard...etc...what kind of joystick should I use....Any inf. on helping become a good pilot would be appreciated.

BuzzU
11-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Any joystick will be easier to fly than the keyboard. 500% easier. Buy the best stick you can afford if you're serious.

Brutal67
11-27-2004, 04:00 PM
A joystick is a must. I use and old Saitek X36 and X35 digital. I like it because it is easy to progam, has a built in rudder (which is a must with IL2 series), and I like the feel of the seperate throttle and stick. Also helps that thier is a hat on the throttle that will emulate mouse so I use that to look around the cockpit and keep my eyes on the enemy. You will not believe how much better you will fly with these in hand. Practice, Practice, and more practice is all that will help you become a great ace. Start with easier settings then slowly bring more and more realism into the game. I hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to contact me. My email is duabau@yahoo.com.

Jason Bourne
11-27-2004, 04:50 PM
also, practice taking off and landing on dry ground first, it is MUCH easier than a carrier landing.

lronSight
11-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Buddy, anything is better than the keyboard.

I mean, this is my joystick:
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/7b/67/S0147480-Micro_Terminator-resized200.jpg

It was $5 and it's terrible, but it sure is 1000x better than your arrow keys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lethal_Hobo
11-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Once you get your joystick, the best thing to do is JUST HAVE FUN. It's good to bend and twist your plane around and get the feel for it, do some flips, see what happens when you try to climb up and dont have enough speed, and see how close you can get to the ground without crashing. I find I learn best trying to do the impossible first, for example, I tried landing on the carrier as it was moving towards me before I tried to land with the carrier moving in the same direction as me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
11-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) for a decent joystick. A joystick is a must for this sim. You cant fully enjoy it without it. Get a quality stick. The site I linked is for reconditioned X45s. At $79 US retail the X45 is a good buy... reconditioned at $39 US they are a steal. Practice. Practice. Practice. If you want something that you can master in a month then this isnt for you. Get an X box or try any of the earlier CFS titles... If you want something that will challenge you, inspire you, expand your understanding of aerodynamics and history, provoke you to spend large amounts of money and give you hours and hours of fun... more fun per dollar in fact than any other software product you hav ever owned.... (provided of course you take the time to learn it ... which is part of the fun) the This sim is for you. If you have Pacific Fighters only I highly recommend you spend the money and get the Forgotten Battles GOLD pack which contains 3 CDs (Forgotten Battles and the ASces expansion pack) .... un install Pacific Fighters. Install FB, then The AEP, then re install Pacific Fighters and download the 3.01m patch from this site. Get that joystick or you will never fully appreciate this sim.

Tully__
11-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Joysticks: click on the "Joysticks & FB" link under my signature picture. Get one. As soon as finances allow. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maj_Death
11-27-2004, 07:58 PM
A joystick is a minimum system requirement for any flight sim. Any joystick will do but I have a few recommendations. The Saitek Cyborg and evo first rate entry level sticks. They cost about $35 US, come with a 2 year warrenty (never had to use it btw) and come with good capabilities. The Saitek X-45 is the best you can get for less than $100 US, it costs about $85 and includes both the flight stick and the throttle slider. It has enough buttons and hats so that you will never have to touch your keyboard in flight. CH products also produces good joysticks but they are insanely expensive. If my memory is correct the cheapest one they have is $150 US and it has only a single hat and a couple buttons. Bu they do last forever, I had one of their yokes and it worked for 10 years.

TAW_BlueDevil
11-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Ch sticks currently run about $115 for the CH fighterstick, and another $110 or so for the pro throttle. I love my x45 , but after 3 years of hard flying its developed small play in the center, and hopefully I'll be upgrading to the fighterstick next month after my move, then will use my x45 as my backup.

Raptor_20thFG
11-29-2004, 03:41 AM
Yeah you need a joystick I use a MSFFB2 They are hard to come by and god knows this sim will make you pull your hair out but it is addicting good look and see you in the skies then youll probly shoot me down http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

HotelBushranger
11-29-2004, 04:17 AM
i got a logitech wingman extreme, which is acceptable i guess, but with only 4 buttons, and a twitchy POV hat which i cant use, i wouldnt mind another one. that X45 or whatever you posted looks pretty **** good.

CRSutton
11-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Once you get a stick, then just practice. Don't even fool with carrier landings until you get proficient with regular landings. Learn how to fly your planes slow. Just circle the airfields at low speed with your flaps and gear down. Landing is really getting to know how your plane feels and handles in this type of situation. Once you get a feel for low speed flying, landings come easy. Takeoffs are a cinch compared to landings.