PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Button 1 And 2/MGs and Cannons

IZT
10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Is there anyway i can toggle between Button1+2 and button 1 alone? it would b very convenient this way?

IZT
10-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Is there anyway i can toggle between Button1+2 and button 1 alone? it would b very convenient this way?

Marek_Steele
10-17-2004, 05:44 PM
If you can program a shift funtion in your stick (either by proprietary soft or a third party as joy2key) you could go away that way. Altough by this means you'd have to keep other button pressed at the same time, this task should be done with your other hand, pe: easy on a joy with base buttons if that's your case and even abuse the shift for more funciontions as alternate tap trim on hat.
If you have a x45 it's a very quick task as you have the mode switch to alternate between complete profiles.
Surelly you'll have better input to your question than mine, but if you post what stick do you use it will be much easier. Good luck.

IZT
10-17-2004, 06:56 PM
i use a microsoft force feedback 2

Bearcat99
10-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Then do your self a huge favor and get a Saitek X45. Keep the FFB as your main flying stick but use the throttle of the Saitek and the stick as a button bay only. You wont be dissapointed. This would give you enough programmable buttons and sliders to put every command you can think of on your joysticks.... I have my flaps on the Saitek rudder rocker. All my flight controls and weps are on the MSFFB....I have button 1 as MGs,2 as rockets, 3 as cannon and 4 as bombs so when I want to go between cannon and mg I just press 1 or 2 or both. My X45 throttle has a little black button on it next to the mouse pan. In mode 1 that button is my ALT key, in mode 2 it is CTRL and in mode 3 it is SHIFT. ALT 3 & 4 are gunsight distance increase and decrease..... SHIFT 3&4 are gunsight size increae and decrease. Do you see the potential if you have a stick with a whole lot of buttons and sliders? My MSFFB throttle is used for prop pitch. Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) for an X45 first. They generally go like hot cakes there but you might luck out.

antifreeze
10-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Just a thought. On some planes you can allocate a key to disable cannons (most Allied planes don't support this though, unless the cannons are a special 'add-on'). Your trigger would then only shoot machine guns, even if it was set as '1+2'.

But really, I have both on one trigger all the time with no problem. Basically, I don't pull the trigger unless I'm near enough and I know I'm going to hit. The 'line up using your Machine Gun, then give it to them with the cannon' technique never sat right with me; it always seemed a waste of time and ammo.
The only occasion where I think using 'only MGs' would be useful is when shooting soft ground targets. MGs on their own don't seem damage to aircraft much.

If you are finding yourself short of buttons and cash, maybe think about this... I use two cheap joysticks (saitek cyborgs). That gives me double the amount of buttons, and also I use 'NewView' (a trackIR emulation dll file) so that I can use the second joystick to look around. It's extremely intuative and cheaper than either trackIR or the X45.