PDA

View Full Version : Attacking Bombers?

Ace_Hyflyer
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm about half way through the BI-1 campaign, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to shoot down the bombers in several of the missions. Can anyone provide some tips, tricks whatever? I always end up running out of ammo before doing anything useful. I've tried high six, low six, dead six, slashing attacks, head on, everything I can think of and I at best manage to get a bombers engine smoking. Help!!!

I'm on IL-2 v1.2

Thanks,
Chris

Kasdeya
04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
What type of bombers? what speed are you flying at, and what is your convergence for you guns set at?

This all plays wiht your accuracy.

Ace_Hyflyer
04-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Kasdeya,

I'm generally travelling between about 320 and 500. Convergence is set, 200m for Machine Guns and 300m for Cannon.

I'm flying against Ju-88's and He-111's.

Thanks,
Chris

Tooz_69GIAP
04-26-2005, 08:10 PM
go for the engines, or the cockpit (i.e. kill the pilot).

Ju-88s flame nicely when you hit the engine or wing root, and He-111 pilots are easy to kill (although with the BI-1 it may be a little more tricky, dunno).

Another way is to blast off the elevators of the aircraft, that will make them bail out, or go straight down.

Kasdeya
04-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Alright, try this in the QMB. set up four bombers and your BI-1

set convergence at 300 to 400. since the cannons on the rocket are close together and on the nose convergence isnt that big of a deal except for lobbing the bullit. any way, when you attack the bombers, especailly these two try to get them from Twelve high and head on. Look for where there gunners cant hit you , and aim for wing roots, and engines.

Practice will help you more than anything anyone can tell you. tips will help but you still will hafta practice. I fly the QMB alot for just that and to learn the diff planes weakness. that will help you when you fight against them. YOu will know what the can and cant do.

Kasdeya
04-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:

Another way is to blast off the elevators of the aircraft, that will make them bail out, or go straight down.

I could never get the HE-lll and the JU88 to go down like that. the PE 8 will helluva lot faster. I will try that in the future.

Atomic_Marten
04-26-2005, 08:19 PM
If I am on your place, I would go for head on.. at least initial pass.. Aim for nose (cockpit) -- with little luck you will kill the pilot.

other than that, you can BnZ em to death (high, almost vertical attack from above); wait 'till the bomber is 1k below you, the dive on him. You should not have much problems since they are over 2 times slower than you (don't push that throttle hard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

You can go for safe and shoot the engines, or you can go for lucky shot at cockpit (pilot). Your call. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ace_Hyflyer
04-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I have a lot of practicing to do. I've been playing a lot in the QMB against JU88's and HE111's so far, 3 pilot kills, and nothing else. Seem to be having trouble lighting the engines up. I've gone so far as to have put about six 20mm BI-1 rounds into an engine (it has a huge gaping hole in it) and no smoke, fire, even fuel leak? Ah well, back to practicing.

Thanks,
Chris

h009291
04-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Invincibility turned off? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Call_me_Kanno
04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Blast off a wing tip. Aim for the wing from the engine on out. Three feet of missing wing tip will do it everytime.

chaikanut
04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
You have chosen the hardest airplane to fly, gunnery-wise. You can never trim it perfectly, its speed changes alot due to the short bursts from the rocket, it will probably be going fast during the dive, therefore needs more deflection and on top of that has two relatively weak guns (against bombers) and with tiny ammo load...
What I do is climb to high altitude behind the bomber andglide my way towards him at 650 - 700 km/h and an angle of about 35. I aim for the wing between engine and fuselage. I shoot at less than 250m and dive away. With this rocket, you need good trigger discipline, good deflection lead and a steady hand. You should also switch joustick settings to something more sensitive to help you with the trim, and be prepared for a second pass. Fire in very short bursts only and learn to use the gunsight to gauge distance and deflection. There is nothing else you can do with the BL-1.

tigertalon
04-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:
other than that, you can BnZ em to death

Hi Marten,

well, one should keep in mind that BI-1 has only 45 rpg, that is roughly 4 (!!!!) seconds of continuous fire.