PDA

View Full Version : OT: New light on Hitler's bomb (Physicsweb)

AWL_Spinner
06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I know this is an oft-covered subject but there's some interesting new stuff on Physicsweb relating to the WWII German nuclear weapons programme, in this (http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/18/6/3/1) article.

Controversial new historical evidence suggests that German physicists built and tested a nuclear bomb during the Second World War. Rainer Karlsch and Mark Walker outline the findings and present a previously unpublished diagram of a German nuclear weapon

raaaid
06-14-2007, 05:39 PM
i wouldnt be surprised its the same with antigravity, foofighters and allies findings of giant ships

in fact if the bomb hadnt been drop at hiroshima we wouldnt know about it

seems to me like if both sides agreed on not using certain tech

leitmotiv
06-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Fascinating, thanks Spinner.

XyZspineZyX
06-14-2007, 06:01 PM
A sample of German heavy water was recently recovered from a lake. The barrel was still water-tight, and the Ph level indicated it was heavy water. The serial on the barrel was still legible, and checked against the shipping manifest for the vessel that carried it

The water was definitely heavy water, the barrel contained a mild dilution of heavy water. if the barrel had allowed lake water in at any time, the barrel's Ph would mimic the lake's Ph- but it did not, so there was no lake water contaminating the barrel at all. But the quantity of heavy water needed to actually make a reaction was so enormous, that given this ships' cargo, which was supposedly enough to make a chain reaction, they needed roughly 20 times the available amount the ship carried- but the Germans felt at the time that this amount was sufficient

Sergio_101
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:
I know this is an oft-covered subject but there's some interesting new stuff on Physicsweb relating to the WWII German nuclear weapons programme, in this (http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/18/6/3/1) article.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Controversial new historical evidence suggests that German physicists built and tested a nuclear bomb during the Second World War. Rainer Karlsch and Mark Walker outline the findings and present a previously unpublished diagram of a German nuclear weapon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fission of U-235 was not an "un known" to anybody
in physics in 1940.
The "test" of a German A bomb may have been attempted.
Germany was trying to place fusion first.
We now know that a very powerful fission bomb
is needed to start a fusion reaction.
Heavy water is such because it has a high percentage of Deuterium in the water molecules.
Deuterium is used in thermonuclear devises AKA hydrogyn bombs.

Neat drawing, it is similar to the Hiroshima
bomb which was a "gun device" using U-235.

Neat article, but the fact that Irving is quoted
as a source casts doubt on anything posted there.
Fact is that Germany never got close to a atomic bomb.

I for one never doubted that Germany had the
know how or scientists capable of making
a nuclear bomb.
Look at the US investment, over $2,000,000,000
in 1945 dollars. Another $2,300,000,000 for aircraft
capable of delivering it (B-29, B-32, B-35 and B-36)!

Thre massive program needed to develop the first weapons
hints that Germany never made the investment needed
to build a viable bomb.

Neat drawings, nothing new.

Sergio

BaldieJr
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
I gave up on that article. It reads all funny to me. After 60 years I have a hard time believing that "new evidence" was found, especially from the Big Red Bear.

Unsolved Mysteries should consider consulting Moscow from now on. They sure know how to pump out "new evidence".

Alloy007P
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Suposedley during WWII the Japanese were building their own A-bomb.

http://www.kimsoft.com/korea/jp-hung.htm

AKA_TAGERT
06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Sergio_101:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AWL_Spinner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Controversial new historical evidence suggests that German physicists built and tested a nuclear bomb during the Second World War. Rainer Karlsch and Mark Walker outline the findings and present a previously unpublished diagram of a German nuclear weapon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fission of U-235 was not an "un known" to anybody
in physics in 1940.
The "test" of a German A bomb may have been attempted.
Germany was trying to place fusion first.
We now know that a very powerful fission bomb
is needed to start a fusion reaction.
Heavy water is such because it has a high percentage of Deuterium in the water molecules.
Deuterium is used in thermonuclear devises AKA hydrogyn bombs.

Neat drawing, it is similar to the Hiroshima
bomb which was a "gun device" using U-235.

Neat article, but the fact that Irving is quoted
as a source casts doubt on anything posted there.
Fact is that Germany never got close to a atomic bomb.

I for one never doubted that Germany had the
know how or scientists capable of making
a nuclear bomb.
Look at the US investment, over $2,000,000,000
in 1945 dollars. Another $2,300,000,000 for aircraft
capable of delivering it (B-29, B-32, B-35 and B-36)!

Thre massive program needed to develop the first weapons
hints that Germany never made the investment needed
to build a viable bomb.

Neat drawings, nothing new.

Sergio </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactally!

AKA_TAGERT
06-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by BaldieJr:
I gave up on that article. It reads all funny to me. After 60 years I have a hard time believing that "new evidence" was found, especially from the Big Red Bear.

Unsolved Mysteries should consider consulting Moscow from now on. They sure know how to pump out "new evidence". Agreed 100%

M_Gunz
06-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Unsolved Mysteries should consider consulting Moscow from now on. They sure know how to pump out "new evidence".

Send them to Iraq, somebody's still missing some WMD's and programs there.

Von_Rat
06-15-2007, 12:10 AM
hmmm i thought heavy water was wanted at the time for use as a moderator. much like the way graphic was used in the pile in chicago.

ultraHun
06-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Mr. Hitler and the Kaiser were the two nukes built and tested by Germany.