PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the default skin of the AI planes???Please help me!

MK2aw
11-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Can someone please help me?

Mk2aw

MK2aw
11-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Can someone please help me?

Mk2aw

RxMan
11-18-2004, 04:18 PM
not possible

MK2aw
11-18-2004, 04:55 PM
RXman

apparently it is possible here is the fix from ICDP at simhq:

No problem, my pleasure.

If you look in your Dgen folder you will see a lot of files with a .db extension. These files control (among other things) what type of aircraft and what squadrons will appear in the relevant campaigns.

Here is an example of what you will find in the [planes] section.

[Planes]
10 PBN1
5 B_17D
5 B_17E
10 F2A2
10 B_25C25
10 F4F4
10 TBF1
10 SBD3
10 D3A1
10 B5N2
10 A6M2_21

After the name of the aircraft you can specify a default skin to be used by the AI during the campaign. In our case we want to add a new deafult AI skin for the A6M2_21, so the new line will look like this:

10 A6M2_21 generic_A6M2.bmp

I recommend Hammerd's beautiful A6M2 Model 21 generic skin available from il2skins.com

The skin called generic_A6M2.bmp should obviously reside in the specified aircrafts skin folder, making sure the name matches up with the one in the .db file. You can call the skin anything you want as long as there are no spaces.

It is important that you download and use Aces IL2 Mat Manager, see the following thread.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=98;t=013395

Once you have setup Mat Manager you can specifiy that the Japanese aircraft use markings off which will dissable the Meatballs on all Japanese aircraft. For this reason you will need to ensure that you have a generic skin specified for all Japanese that use default markings (All A6M's and all Ki84's for example).

This is quite a workaround but IMHO it allows you to use much better default skins for most of the aircraft in the game.

Mk2aw

Bearcat99
11-18-2004, 04:57 PM
If you mean the AI planes in your own QuickMission all you have to do is go to the same place where you would change the skins on your plane. The advanced setup menu. Hit that and you will see a window open with a picture of a plane. If you look on the right you will see a window that will say skin. Hit that. If there are only two skins in there then you will have to get some skins from IL2 skins ,com and put them in the folder.. that way when you go to change the skin something will be in there to change it to. If you look at the top of that window on the right you will see Aircraft with a number next to it. Ifg you click that arrow to the right of the number you will see numbers 1-4 drop down. These numbers are for your AI planes... go to each one and assign a skin to it. Mind you... agiain you must have a skin in the folder or else it wont show up. Look at the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig and there you will find a lot of good sites. Go to IL2 skins and get all te skins you need.

MK2aw
11-18-2004, 06:52 PM
I meant the AI planes in campaign and the fix ...fixed it!

Actually I did not even bother with IL mat (which I had anyway).

I went into microsoft paint, sprayed out the meatballs, installed the bmp like the instuctions said and BAM! fixed all A6M2 zeroes flying beautiful with their meatballs on the wings!

Mk2aw