PDA

View Full Version : online play lag and fps drop

Lord_Rhah
07-12-2005, 05:49 AM
I've recently started playing online PF, thru hyperlobby, and i've noticed quite a serious drop in FPS, and also a fair amount of lag. The lag is understandable i guess, but the FPS drop surely shouldnt be that drastic.
Im using a 1mb ADSL line, so it should be ok (or should it?)
my guess is that its RAM related, as i've only got 512DDR in there at the mo.
Should point out that the FPS is fine offline, except for the odd stutter when new planes are loaded.
any advice?? (other than buy more RAM!)

Padser
07-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi,

You don't say which servers you've been flying on, but it may be server and map/mission related, too. Some of the busier missions on some servers have an awful lot going on (AAA, artillery, ships, etc.), which can result in performance hits.

I would also recommend increasing your RAM if at all possible - I have 1GB and still suffer from stutter/lag in busy maps.

I was flying in the (excellent!) Zekes vs. Wildcats server last night and the Iwo Jima map was causing a lot of lag for many of those flying - the result of all of that exciting artillery and ground fire and ack-ack off the ships, no doubt...

The thing is that stutter always seems to coincide with those (for me rare!) moments you are drawing a bead on something...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Pads

Lord_Rhah
07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
yep, its always just when i'm about to take some amazingly good pilot out! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Im on PF only servers at the mo, last night i was on moonknights server (in France i presume, and im in London so the distance shouldnt have been too much of an issue) just playing a straight Dogfight map, not much ground activity going on.

i think best bet is to get more RAM, and hope that helps.

i do remember reading somewhere that changing your modem settings in PF from ADSL to 56l can actually help reduce packetloss or something. Anyone else heard anything like that? or any other tips?

VW-IceFire
07-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Try different servers. Some are dedicated servers with very little lag...I play alot on UK-Dedicated which is a whole ocean away and I get excellent performance.

But then I'll play on a continental North American server and planes are lagging about. Depends on the server.

9th_Spitin
07-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Look at all the players pings, if you see alot with high pings you will get more lag and freezes. I also think that the planets and moon have to be aligned right for smooth online play. Lets also not rule out solar flairs. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Spook57
07-12-2005, 09:39 AM
On many servers you will notice a short freeze-up when a new player joins or an aircraft spawns, due to the temporary extra processing the server has to do.
Also we have those cowards who press 'print screen' when they are under attack. All these serve to disrupt the otherwise smooth running of the sim.

~S~ Spook

nakamura_kenji
07-12-2005, 10:23 AM
suggest get il-2 and aep then have better selection server and can fly zeke wildcat it good server ^_^

also make sure not ahve anything background ie msn messenger it also help reduce graphic settings

Lord_Rhah
07-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Kenji, I have FB and AEP on order from Amazon as we speak... should arrive anytime this millenia, maybe. counting down the days though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

cos im only on PF only servers, i have a very limited selection, usually 3 or 4 at most on most nights, and i dont think any of them are UK based. Do the Ubi.com servers have many PF games running?
thanks for all the info, and especially thanks for the stuff about print screen, suddenly certain things seem to make more sense! is there no way to disable this sort of thing?

nakamura_kenji
07-12-2005, 01:12 PM
saddly no not possible think disable print screen as usaul useful feature abuse by few anoy many v_v

from what here ubi.com not as good most use hyperlobby but not know as start play online after get fb and aep so always merged play i have