PDA

View Full Version : Respawning Enemies (Outposts)

manic-pro
06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I really Loved Far Cry 2! Especially when played on the hardest setting whereby I was constantly on the edge of survival and what would probably be an inconsequential decision on normal would be a matter of life or death on Infamous.

One thing that marred my overall enjoyment of Far Cry 2 though was the re-spawning enemy camps, they ended up becoming more of an artificial feeling way of trying to keep up a constant threat that lead to frustration that pulled me out of the experience rather that a challenge that felt natural in the context of the game world. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if a bit more time went by before enemies reappeared at the outposts by way of a of a patrol that would notice that everybody at the post was dead and needed replacing or something.

So basically I would really like to see the issue of re-spawning enemy outposts addressed in Far Cry 3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

curtmantle
06-16-2011, 05:17 AM
I thought the checkpoints were a good idea which made you think about how you were going to get somewhere. But, the respawning enemies was a pain.

If you've cleared out a checkpoint, then go and do something, then come back within a few minutes, you shouldn't have to fight your way through the same enemies again. Ideally the game would have waited for a day before it respawned.

razorplayer
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Haha they were actually pretty cool, but I felt that it was a little bit too repetitive. I Mean the game was pretty good at first but it started getting a little boring, repetitive after a while. As far as the outposts they should try doing something a little bit different, maybe change the size of the outposts, making it harder/easier depending on your destination. That would add a little bit of strategy. Hopefully there will be a few more enemy types? So far we've just seen pirates and I heard Dan mentioning this is just one faction so I guess thats already covered! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Anyways can't wait for Far Cry 3, looks absolutely amazing and its just pre alpha. Talk to you guys soon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

manic-pro
06-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Far Cry 3 does look amazing for sure! cant come soon enough! but yea (@ curtmantle) if there is a day and night cycle in FC3 like there was in FC2, waiting at least a day before making the enemies at an outpost re-spawn could work. or yea (@ razorplayer) if they manage to vary the size of the outposts and types of enemies more, that would be cool too. more variety is always... well nearly always a good thing.

iGame3D
06-17-2011, 03:25 AM
First and foremost the argument that Far Cry 2 (or any game in the last 30 years) gets 'repititive' has to just got to be removed from the conversation.

Everything is repetitive if you do it over and over. Ever had sex?

Probably not, but yeah that gets repetitive to.
You think respawning checkpoints are bad, wait until you battle a re-occuring yeast infection.

Respawning checkpoints are awesome, the map never gets too easy or too 'lonely' to traverse.

Red Faction Guerilla turns into a ghost town of a game by the end making that massive open world a bit pointless, Halo's have no reuse of map space at all and becomes entirely linear, Fallout 3 gets depopulated.

Far Cry 2 isn't meant to be played to death, doing the same thing over and over again expecting things to change.
There's a word for that.

Suggestions for Far Cry 3 Developers:
Make resupply/reinforcement of checkpoints something vehicles do. They drive to the checkpoints and drop off people, or park and get out, etc.
Not just "they are there".

This way you can run into the reinforcement/resupply caravans en route at times.

Maybe some chopper drops to give the player an opportunity to blow those things up.

I've seen a few wandering ******bags in Far Cry 2, make a few groups of these traveling guys be the reinforcement group to the checkpoints. That way we run into the occasional group of foot soldiers a little more often than in FC2.

curtmantle
06-17-2011, 03:55 AM
No-one (I don't think) is saying that the checkpoints should never have respawned: they're saying they shouldn't respawn in a matter of minutes.

If a checkpoint is cleared and it was repopulated in a game day then it would have been fine. It would have been daft if a checkpoint never respawned. It's like most things, a balancing act.

As for repetition, what I think you're really saying is, Far Cry 2 IS quite repetitive; it's just a lot of people love what's being repeated (which fits in with the sex analogy). It's not any more repetitive than other games. Red Dead Redemption was also criticised by some for being repetitive. There will always be people who expect too much.

Could Far Cry 3 have a bit more variety? Yes I think it could and should. But the immediate respawning of checkpoints was a universal criticism of FC2 so it wouldn't be good if FC3 suffers from a similar problem.

Ilovepho
06-17-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't mind the respawning guardposts, I only hate the malaria and the underground missions.

But I noticed that there are about 3 guardposts that don't respawn too quickly (one of them is the guardpost near the railroad bridge to the east of Port Selao in Bowa Seko. After I killed Yabek, the arm dealer at the barge, I come back but I didn't see any guys there.)

I agree with you guys that the guardposts should take a bit longer to respawn. Maybe 12-24 hour in-game.

However I'm not sure if we the guardposts is a good idea that should return in FC3 again or not.

FlyBoogy
07-17-2011, 09:30 AM
My god if it has to be in the game make it more realistic... not like in 2 where you kill and burn a whole camnp down and come back in 5 minutes and its rebuild and all guards are back... there could be a delay before they come back, maybe a scout car with say 2 guards will come from the nearest town to see whats going on then call backup and wich comes later and make them repair the damn camp and baricades make them bring new amunition in a truck and move it, make them extinguishe the fires or dispose of the dead guys, they can load them onto a truck or maybe pile them up and burn them... ubisoft promised a AI improvement for the future so why not start now?

sry for my not so good english

Eightboll812
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by FlyBoogy:
My god if it has to be in the game make it more realistic... not like in 2 where you kill and burn a whole camnp down and come back in 5 minutes and its rebuild and all guards are back... there could be a delay before they come back, maybe a scout car with say 2 guards will come from the nearest town to see whats going on then call backup and wich comes later and make them repair the damn camp and baricades make them bring new amunition in a truck and move it, make them extinguishe the fires or dispose of the dead guys, they can load them onto a truck or maybe pile them up and burn them... ubisoft promised a AI improvement for the future so why not start now?

sry for my not so good english

That would be really cool. When a game has people doing things other than just being armed enemies waiting to shoot you, it adds to the immersiveness. I like the loading up bodies and putting out fires. Should be unarmed civies that do this.