PDA

View Full Version : Loch Ewe Torpedo Problem?

Topp1967
04-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi

I snuck into Loch Ewe in really horrible weather, found a Fiji class Cruiser - lined up on it at 500m and fired of a 3 fish spread. This was followed by explosions and the torpedoes missed message - could the torps hit a net?

I would appreciate any input from my fellow Kaleuns.

Cheers

Derek

mrwafro
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
sometimes when you line up for a shot under the keel with magnetic detonation, the Weapons officer will call out "torpedo missed" because the torpedo blew up a meter or so under the boat, but if have the triggers set to impact, and you dont have the torpedos set to go under the boat slightly, then I'm not sure what went wrong. they may have all be en duds, bounced off the cruiser, and hit the bottom.... did the cruiser sink?

MORRDUBAY
04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Yes it was most likely a sub net protecting that ship. i have see it in there in my game and it had a net around it

Topp1967
04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the response!

I was so peaved that I reloaded my save and tried going around to the other side for a shot - no dice.

Also tried setting depth of torps to 1m - no dice

I give up on Loch's - back to the high seas for me.

Thanks again

Derek

Silva_Bullet
04-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Hmmm... This is something close to me, being an unabashed port-raider (in good standing)...

Ok, Derek, try this, cos it always works for me. Fire off an electric torp at a little farther (maybe 650-700m) and aim at the aft ammo bunker of the cruiser (just below the aft guns). Set the depth to 3m or so. One torp, forget about spreads. I've never encountered nets or anything, and Fijis are my prey of choice. I tend to get em every time, with a single, well-aimed electric.

Let me know if it helps.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

FDNYFAN
04-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I have no problems sinking them in Loch Ewe or any other port.
I sunk a lot of ships in port but didn't miss due to sub nets arround the ship.
I encountered some nets at port entry points though.

JU88
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
never had this problem in Loch Ewe or scapa, It happened to me once with a docked T2 in Heartleypool though.

cow_9th
04-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Topp1967:
Thanks for the response!

I was so peaved that I reloaded my save and tried going around to the other side for a shot - no dice.

Also tried setting depth of torps to 1m - no dice

I give up on Loch's - back to the high seas for me.

Thanks again

Derek

you have to set it to 0 depth, this does take them over the net, although they need to be a little way back from the net when you launch so they can get up to the surface in time.
and yes they will be spotted when launched at 0 depth.

pharmman17
04-15-2006, 07:41 AM
I too snuck into Lock Ewe, late '39 early '40 don't remember exactly, but found a VW patrolling, a C class sitting and a Nelson Battleship. Sunk the VW, fired two more at the C class, which blew apart, went after the Nelson and finally sunk her as she was starting to move, she didn't actually sink all the way, kind of settled on the bottom, no net problems though.