PDA

View Full Version : VULCHING ?!?! ENOUGH !!!

Samdogge
02-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Ladies.....
Just gotta say it and be done with it.....
Never in all my 39+ years living on this planet have I ever run across the term 'vulching' unless I was sick and thought of heaving in the porcelean bowl.
Earlier this week I was darn near given a heart attack when time and time again for almost 2 hours I was assaulted by the MC and ACTUAL WW2 fighter pilots on the "Military Channel" referring to WW2 fighter pilot tactics as ....of all things...STRAFING !!!

Strafing this and strafing that... strafing here and strafing there....
Strafing airfields...strafing trains.... strafing ships and docks and troops and warehouses and oh, so many strafings... [targets of opportunity].... my mind was buzzing.

Can you believe it ?!?! Strafing !!! Holy cow !!!
They called it exactly what I have heard all my life until of course
IL2 came around and some *** started referring to 'strafing' as 'vulching'....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

strafe (strf)
tr.v. strafed, strafâ·ing, strafes
To attack (ground troops, for example) with a machine gun or cannon from a low-flying aircraft.
n. An attack of machine-gun or cannon fire from a low-flying aircraft.

Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Noun 1. strafe - an attack of machine-gun fire or cannon fire from a low flying airplane; "the next morning they carried out a strafe of enemy airfields"
attack, onrush, onset, onslaught - (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons); "the attack began at dawn"

Verb 1. strafe - attack with machine guns or cannon fire from a low-flying plane; "civilians were strafed in an effort to force the country's surrender"
attack, assail - launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with; "Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II"; "Serbian forces assailed Bosnian towns all week"

Takes all kinds and must be some ...xxxxxxx...&....&..... term.
By God...It truly ain't over till the fat lady sings.... and it is called STRAFING...not puking.
...there now I'm done...for now......
....thanks for listening.....

rnzoli
02-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Samdogge:
some *** started referring to 'strafing' as 'vulching'....

FYI, from netmessages.PROPERTIES:
gore_vulcher1 {0} is definitely a vulcher.
gore_vulcher2 {0}, winners don''t play vulchers.
gore_vulcher3 {0}, you vulcher you!

That a$$ you refer to is the development team apparently. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Kuna15
02-04-2006, 09:29 AM
http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/graemlins/crazy.gif

Vulching came out of word "vulture" I presume. Nasty bird that circles above its prey (usually dead).

Stigler_9_JG52
02-04-2006, 09:31 AM
The IL-2 Dev Team didn't come up with the term either.

If you must know, the term is a derivative from the bird, but made into a 'verb' (and then further bastardized into a noun, as the person who perpetrates the foul deed).

It originated either in the AirWarrior or Warbirds communities. Both these communities were highly "original" in their use of colorful new slang terms, some of them based on real WWII terminology, others not, like vulching.

So, yes, "strafing" is the correct real life term to use... but "vulching" sounds so much more descriptive and colorful, and that's why it's survived as long as it has.

Ever seen the T-shirt with the cartoon of two vultures sitting on a gnarled tree, and one says to the other, "Patience hell. I'm gonna go kill something." That about sums it up, huh?

bolillo_loco
02-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Kuna15:
http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/graemlins/crazy.gif

Vulching came out of word "vulture" I presume. Nasty bird that circles above its prey (usually dead).

To further kuna's explanation, vultures circle weak prey and wait until the prey becomes so weak that it can no longer move or defend itself. Once their prey has become so weakened that it cannot defend itself they will land and begin to eat it before it's even dead. This doesn't mean that vultures will not pass up an already dead creature.

I agree with the topic starter. I came to online gaming several years after it was already popular and wondered where on earth all the terms had come from. Switch games and there are new terms for everything.

lowfighter
02-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I would use vulching (negative meaning) for attacking weakly or unprotected airfields (many servers,very unrealistic).
I would use straffing for attacking AF with realistic AA protection. (chance of survival for the straffer small)
In that sense straffing is allowed, vulching is just a poor game cheat.

HotelBushranger
02-04-2006, 09:39 AM
^ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

VW-IceFire
02-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Simple...strafing is a military technique...vulching is an online technique. Different context. In a true historical server there are no rules on vulching and therefore the use of strafing an enemy base comes into play.

Depends on the rules and setup of the server.

In WWII, aerodromes were usually defended by scores of anti-aircraft guns. Many servers online for one reason or another have only one or two or none at all.

Capt_Haddock
02-04-2006, 10:44 AM
That's how new words are made. You simply can't stop it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I agree that we shoud use "strafing" when talking of ground attack with cannon and MG, but the term "vulching", ugly as it migh be, defines very precisely a situation that only happens online, not in real life, as IceFire pointed out.

It's not a proper ground attack, it's just a cheap way of gettings kills, usually the same poor chap getting shot down again and again as he tries to take off in vain.

PriK
02-04-2006, 10:48 AM
welcome to the internet

gx-warspite
02-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Guess what, language evolves.

We say "vulching" because it's not enough to say strafing. Strafing can mean strafing ground units, strafing buildings, strafing ships, etc. Vulching is a specific term that refers to the deliberate attack of grounded aircraft or those just taking off/landing.

Tooz_69GIAP
02-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Haddock, that sig, although the statement of freedom of speech is correct in my mind, that has no meaning whatsoever with Muslims who are currently burning the Dannebrog in many countries, and who are costing Danish industry more than 1 million pounds per day with their boycott of products.

EDIT: In Syria, the Danish and Norwegian embassies have been attacked and set fire to over this row with inflammatory cartoons!! Personally I think they are nuts, but what can you do against such people??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4681294.stm

With threats against Danes because of their involvement in Iraq, and now the burning of embassies, and passionate protests elsewhere in Europe outside Danish embassies, I don't really wanna be hearing that friends and family are in danger of terrorist attack in Denamrk.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this, but this really is nuts, and I don't think the situation should be inflamed in this forum, especially as there are members here who are Muslims.

PriK
02-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Can I be offended now too please?

Da_Godfatha
02-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry Tooz, but You be wrong! What we see is a group of Fanatics holding the whole World as hostage. What next, kidnapp and kill people for eating bacon? Kill Europeans because the European women do not cover their faces? I think enough is enough.
At the risk of my post being deleted or me being banned, I just must say this, I do NOT care about their feelings or what they think, they sure as hades DO NOT care about us or our feelings.

Sorry for the hi-jack. I just had to answer Mr. Tooz.

Targ
02-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Oy vey!
A vulching thread turning political!
Ok, lets get back on topic...
Vulching?
I am cool with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Many times online an in online wars as many as 16 players have coordinated a planned vulching http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif on an airbase and destroyed anything and everything at the base including the 10 to 12 AAA and friendly cap guarding the base!
Being a good sport is important, being a poor loser , well no one likes a poor loser and there are many in this community.

Tooz_69GIAP
02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I agree with you, I think these people are totally off their rockers, and we should defend our right to express ourselves, but Denmark is a small country not really able to go to war over a point of view, and the UK and US are distancing themselves from this problem. Where are their calls for the defence of freedom of speech?? Nowehere to be seen. In fact Jack Straw has condemned all of these media companies for publishing these cartoons. That to me is an endorsement that it is okay for these fundamentalists to run roughshod over anyone they like.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, except to say that I am worried because I am Danish, my family still lives in Denmark, and I don't like this situation.

Swivet
02-04-2006, 01:10 PM
"Vulching" a term created by some whiny kid that couldn't get off his runway, but complains that a game isn't "real" enough....Hello0o0o0o00o.....this is what they did in real life isn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif......Tho i never vulch, because everyone should have a chance to get airborne and fight/compete. I think this term was created when the flightsim market came to be...

Capt_Haddock
02-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Sorry, didn't want to turn this into a political discussion. Apologies for hijacking the thread.
Back to my usual sig...

http://www.haddock.f2s.com/sig/F19bannerh3.jpg

PriK
02-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I'll vulch anytime so long as it's not frowned on by the particular server. People cry too much.

However, I won't vulch when...

1) A base is getting picked on by others on my team.

2) The potential target has already been vulched once or they seem like a n00b that's just trying to get up and about.

3) There isn't a safer rear base for them to take off from.

If the server is scripted than most of this does (and should) go out the window.

Chuck_Older
02-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Samdogge:
Ladies.....
Just gotta say it and be done with it.....
Never in all my 39+ years living on this planet have I ever run across the term 'vulching' unless I was sick and thought of heaving in the porcelean bowl.
Earlier this week I was darn near given a heart attack when time and time again for almost 2 hours I was assaulted by the MC and ACTUAL WW2 fighter pilots on the "Military Channel" referring to WW2 fighter pilot tactics as ....of all things...STRAFING !!!

Strafing this and strafing that... strafing here and strafing there....
Strafing airfields...strafing trains.... strafing ships and docks and troops and warehouses and oh, so many strafings... [targets of opportunity].... my mind was buzzing.

Can you believe it ?!?! Strafing !!! Holy cow !!!
They called it exactly what I have heard all my life until of course
IL2 came around and some *** started referring to 'strafing' as 'vulching'....

strafe (strf)
tr.v. strafed, strafâ·ing, strafes
To attack (ground troops, for example) with a machine gun or cannon from a low-flying aircraft.
n. An attack of machine-gun or cannon fire from a low-flying aircraft.

Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Noun 1. strafe - an attack of machine-gun fire or cannon fire from a low flying airplane; "the next morning they carried out a strafe of enemy airfields"
attack, onrush, onset, onslaught - (military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons); "the attack began at dawn"

Verb 1. strafe - attack with machine guns or cannon fire from a low-flying plane; "civilians were strafed in an effort to force the country's surrender"
attack, assail - launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with; "Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II"; "Serbian forces assailed Bosnian towns all week"

Takes all kinds and must be some ...xxxxxxx...&....&..... term.
By God...It truly ain't over till the fat lady sings.... and it is called STRAFING...not puking.
...there now I'm done...for now......
....thanks for listening.....

hey, looks like we can type "***" again

Yes, 'vulching' is a derivitive of the word 'vulture', apparently dreamed up by imaginative folk who didn't know the first thing about how to spell "vulture", so they verbed it...as if a vulcher was a thing that vulched, and a vulchee was something that got vulched. Silly really but like Stig mentioned, it's at least descriptive

Willey
02-04-2006, 02:03 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Willey
02-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Samdogge:
some *** started referring to 'strafing' as 'vulching'....

FYI, from netmessages.PROPERTIES:
gore_vulcher1 {0} is definitely a vulcher.
gore_vulcher2 {0}, winners don''t play vulchers.
gore_vulcher3 {0}, you vulcher you!

That a$$ you refer to is the development team apparently. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

gore_vulcher1 {0} ist ein geiler Vulcher!
gore_vulcher2 {0}, richtige Flieger sind Vulcher!
gore_vulcher3 {0}, du geiler Vulcher!

PS: Vulching comes from vulture, meaning to circle above the enemy base waiting for things to respawn which you can attack easily then.
If the terms were used properly, "no vulching" would disallow the waiting for respawning enemies alone, but not a strafing run while just passing an airfield.

Bearcat99
02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Swivet:
"Vulching" a term created by some whiny kid that couldn't get off his runway, but complains that a game isn't "real" enough....Hello0o0o0o00o.....this is what they did in real life isn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif......Tho i never vulch, because everyone should have a chance to get airborne and fight/compete. I think this term was created when the flightsim market came to be...

I think you are correct Swiv.... and as for the "tactic" to each his own.... Personally I try not to vulch... however when I am the one being vulched I simply switch to another base or another server... poroblem solved. AFAIC it is a part of online flight simming in FFA/DF servers. I deal with it. Some servers say.... you can only vulch with bombs... BS.. vulching is vulching... rockets, guns, bombs... either way you are blown to virtual smithereens before you get off the ground. I say either switch to another base, show some leadership (where possible) and try to get your red/blue teammates to cover the frickin base (by doing it yourself first...) instead of going off on glory seeking solo point *****ing ventures, suck it up and deal with it or fly coops. There really are no other options. Vulching has been going on.. it will go on... as I think it should. This is virtual war. If a bunch of guys cant get organized enough to protect themselves to the point where they can get off the ground and put up a half baked fight at least then they dont dseserve to be flying online in a competitive arena against other folks anyway.

jds1978
02-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Bravo, BC!

Prop_Strike
02-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I think vultching..oppps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif..strafing is a very valid tactic when used properly.
On W/Clouds one time, our allied team were being slaughtered by a group of 262s; so a few of us went to their airbase to "surpress" them.
This allowed the others to hunt the 109s and 190s; and also allowed any bombers to get through.
I think it sucks if someone does nothing BUT circle the enemy base and kill spawners, but 1 or 2 passes and fly away is fine.

Jetbuff
02-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I remember a very irritated red side, complaining about being 'vulched' on the runway. Once we explained that it had been done from angels 6 with 8000 pounds-a-love and they verified it with an S-key lookup, they saluted us. Interesting no?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

BC said it best, it takes two to tango... err... vulch. You can easily end it by not being so single-minded about taking off from that particular base. Problem solved.

The_Gog
02-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Ok, let me clear this up (as only I can, as the greatest on-line pilot flying this game),

Strafing is shooting up any ground target with cannon/MG fire, whether it be plane, train or automobile!

VULCHING, is loitering around/above an enemy base for as long as you can and just shooting up the enemy planes as they spawn.

Strafing is good! And everyone should be encouraged to make a pass at an enemy airfield and shoot up whatever is there, BUT, you should then leave, if you hang around to get some more kills as they spawn, you become...

A VULCHER!!!!

There it is, lesson over.

For all the map designers online, try and understand the differences and get yhe map briefings correct for gods sake!!

xTHRUDx
02-04-2006, 08:39 PM
vulchers are easy to stop, when they come in on you, drop your bomb on the tarmac right when he's about to fly over you, it will blow you both up.

rnzoli
02-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by xTHRUDx:
vulchers are easy to stop, when they come in on you, drop your bomb on the tarmac right when he's about to fly over you, it will blow you both up.
not very clever with a death kicking server

Edit: not trying to be too negative, so a positive idea: when the attack is imminent, re-spawn as a bomber, with lots of guns. Most likely the attacker will be damaged enough to leave.