PDA

View Full Version : Neat article about system requirements...

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:16 AM
Hey gang,

I found this link on the Ilyushin2.net forum after seeing the Siggi post that was linked in here....

Anyway, it talks about unrealistically low system requirements published on game boxes. While the innacurate requirements may boost sales, the author feels that it makes the less computer savvy consumer shy away from new releases...kind of like a catch 22 i suppose.

Here's the link:

http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=sysreq

I'm just happy my craptacular Celron 1.0 can run FB smoothly enough for my purposes /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ...now LOMAC will be a whole new bag of beans. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Message Edited on 07/09/0311:17PM by Guelph2002

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 04:16 AM
Hey gang,

I found this link on the Ilyushin2.net forum after seeing the Siggi post that was linked in here....

Anyway, it talks about unrealistically low system requirements published on game boxes. While the innacurate requirements may boost sales, the author feels that it makes the less computer savvy consumer shy away from new releases...kind of like a catch 22 i suppose.

Here's the link:

http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=sysreq

I'm just happy my craptacular Celron 1.0 can run FB smoothly enough for my purposes /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ...now LOMAC will be a whole new bag of beans. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Message Edited on 07/09/0311:17PM by Guelph2002

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 05:14 AM
Guelph,

Excelent article. The views expressed are right on the money IMHO. I bought my first PC 2 years ago and have been thru countless upgrades to acheive what I want. It has become somewhat of a hobby for me now and I must say that I do enjoy it but for the "Average Joe" looking at games min. spec. listed on anything is a joke. I have a few friends that I would like to encourge to get into the IL2/FB arena but I don't only because I know now what it realy takes to make these as well as other games to truly play as well as they should. It realy is a fruadulent marketing angle for the gaming industry. I myself have been and still am amazed that with all the seemingly infinate variables out there for system configurations that half of this stuff works at all. It would be interesting to me to know what percentage of consumers actualy even pay attention to the "min spec." listing. I wonder what the impact would be on sales if the true specs were listed. The manufactures should be held accountable some how but by whom and to what degree is hard to say. Buyer beware I guess. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Thanx for the good read,

GP

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 05:22 AM
I've found that if you take the Minimum requirements and add 50% to that then you should be good.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 05:23 AM
I have been in the Clancy series, and was mad when Raven Shield didnt like my graphics. I did however get store credit. This was at Best Buy.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 05:46 AM
B.E.L.B.H.D. wrote:
- I have been in the Clancy series, and was mad when
- Raven Shield didnt like my graphics. I did however
- get store credit. This was at Best Buy.
-
-

Raven Shield doesn't like anybody. Y'all should go and check out the riot on the forums.

XyZspineZyX
07-10-2003, 07:04 AM
I agree with the article.

Since I've upgraded my computer several times in the last 4 years, titles I bought then are unplayable due to OS changes and other 'upgrades' necessary to play today's games.

It's a dam shame really. Most of those games have outdated graphics by today's standard, but the gameplay remains great.

I've always wished that there were some reasonable way to make current systems backwards compatible without having multi-boot machines. I guess that the Sony Playstation and Gameboy were the only gaming manufactuers and publishers that were able to do that or thought that way. Obviously it would take too much code rewriting to upgrade older games.

"If wishes were horses..."

*****Only left handed people are in their right minds.*****

<center>http://www.ghosts.com/images/postimages/POLIKARPOVI16.jpg

Message Edited on 07/09/03 11:04PM by rexcarrs

Message Edited on 07/09/0311:05PM by rexcarrs