PDA

View Full Version : question on weapons

wanderer77
05-02-2010, 11:55 PM
except for the 3 one hit kill weapons (hidden blade, poison, and pistol) all weapons have a description of damage, speed and deflect.

what damage and speed does is obvious, what needs clarification is deflect. when i saw the scimitar, it has full points on deflect, i thought this weapon would be able to face a brute without the possibility of it getting knocked out of my hand. so i picked a fight with a brute, pulled out my scimitar, and saw it get knocked away form my hand 20 seconds later.
so then that wasn't it, then i thought deflect would mean how well it can block, in a 360 degree way. i got in a fight, watched the guy behind me start to swing and still the scimitar did not protect you in 360 degrees. so can someone clarify what deflect does? does it give you more room for error when you time you counter attack?

Mitro-Blade
05-03-2010, 02:58 AM
You can't deflect that attack, the only way to defend yourself against that attack is to dodge it. I think the deflect attribute on a weapon is how much damage you do if you counterattack someone with that weapon.

obliviondoll
05-03-2010, 03:46 AM
From what I've seen, I THINK (bear in mind this is a guess based on practice) speed affects how fast your atacks string together, and deflect affects how quickly you get your guard up when blocking, and how quickly you recover from guard-break attacks.

Six_Gun
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Mitro-Blade:
You can't deflect that attack, the only way to defend yourself against that attack is to dodge it. Can't deflect Brute attacks, yes you can. The Brute attacks are automatically deflected when you are holding the block position and facing the Brute while he's attacking, provided you have a good weapon, but even a broom will deflect brute attacks, if you're facing him and holding block.

In my experience Deflect means just what it implies. If a weapon has high deflect rating it is more effective at deflecting without damage or being knocked back, and much less likely to get knocked out of your hand. I have been using the Schiavona lately and it's never been knocked out of my hand. By comparison the common sword gets knocked out frequently.

As far as I can tell, one of the best things deflect is for is defending against spear attacks. When facing a spear brute and holding block, I never take damage from a spear attack when using a weapon with high deflect rating. You still have to dodge his 360 sweep attack, but that doesn't do damage anyway, it just knocks you off your feet.

Xanatos2007
05-04-2010, 12:28 AM
You can't counter-attack brutes with swords, hammers/maces or daggers. Everything else works, though.

Six_Gun
05-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
You can't counter-attack brutes with swords, hammers/maces or daggers. Everything else works, though. The topic is regarding deflecting, not countering.