PDA

View Full Version : Complete

leitmotiv
04-14-2006, 03:41 AM
Has anybody been buying the complete edition? I can't find it anywhere in the U.S.A.---not in Amazon, EB Games, or even U.S. Ubisoft. Had to order from an eBay dealer!

JG52Uther
04-14-2006, 04:08 AM
I think Jason at Go-Gamer.com is importing it in to the US

leitmotiv
04-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Right you are. Bought from them on eBay. By the way, they only have 7 left on eBay. Good luck buyers!

ElAurens
04-14-2006, 05:17 AM
It would be interesting to see how many copies were sold in North America.

Or maybe it wouldn't...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

leitmotiv
04-14-2006, 05:45 AM
Considering it was released 15 days ago and I'm the first person in the U.S.A. to notice the unavailability of COMPLETE this speaks volumes.

Tooz_69GIAP
04-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Considering it was released 15 days ago and I'm the first person in the U.S.A. to notice the unavailability of COMPLETE this speaks volumes.

Well, you haven't been able to find it because it is not being sold in the US except through online stores (in fact, I think only Go-Gamer.com are selling them in the USA?). At least, that's what I understand.

leitmotiv
04-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Strange we voraciously consumeristic Yanks were not let in on the joke!

HitchHikerHSDWG
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I believe www.direct2drive.com (http://www.direct2drive.com) has it as a relatively cheap download. Could be wrong though.

I should add that you have nothing to fear buying downloaded games as you can still make backups of the install file and game. And if you ever lose it you can download again.

steve_v
04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HitchHikerHSDWG:
I believe www.direct2drive.com (http://www.direct2drive.com) has it as a relatively cheap download. Could be wrong though.

I should add that you have nothing to fear buying downloaded games as you can still make backups of the install file and game. And if you ever lose it you can download again. This title is not currently offered by direct2drive.
I would like to reccommend the disc version, as d/l versions of our sim collection has had problems with patching, updating, and installing further titles from cd-roms. While good for some titles, it is not reccommended for our series.

HitchHikerHSDWG
04-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Little late to say that. If it offers problems why do they even sell it online? If its not the same as the disc version but there selling the same game. So I guess I got ripped off on the version I got from D2D?

My copy of the game has worked fine so far..........

badaboom.1
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Will this online store have any plans of selling the 3 new addons coming this summer?...hopefully... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Skycat_2
04-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Little late to say that. If it offers problems why do they even sell it online? If its not the same as the disc version but there selling the same game. So I guess I got ripped off on the version I got from D2D?

The only IL-2 series title I know for sure that D2D sells is "Pacific Fighters." It may have the earlier parts of the series, I haven't checked, but for the purpose of this discussion you should be aware of the limitations of the D2D version of Pacific Fighters:

The CD-ROM version of Pacific Fighters can be installed two ways simultaneously. The first way is as a 'standalone' game that does not require the previous releases Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack; furthermore, the standalone version cannot be installed to FB+AEP. The second option is as an expansion to Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack, thus completing the trilogy that is now offered as the Complete Edition on DVD.

The D2D dowload of Pacific Fighters only comes as the PF 'standalone' version. This means that you'll never be able to merge it to FB+AEP. Secondly, and possibly more relevant to this discussion, you won't be able to add the three upcoming addons to it. You're stuck with the standalone version of Pacific Fighters.

As Steve said, D2D version users may experience some problems upgrading with patches. From what I've seen, the D2D PF download comes as the most current version, meaning that the vendor does patch the download as necessary. However, there may be a problem with adding any upgrade patches that are released after your D2D download.

Skycat_2
04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by badaboom.1:
Will this online store have any plans of selling the 3 new addons coming this summer?...hopefully... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif
We'll need to know the details on how the addons will be distributed first. There is a rumor that it will be 'paid download' only. But if it is sold on CD-ROMs I have faith that GoGamer! will carry it.

Skycat_2
04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
badaboom.1,

Okay, I'm looking at what D2D offers and I'm going to give my opinion on their prices:

IL-2 Sturmovik -- Not a good deal at $19.99 USD. This was the first release in the series but was basically reworked into Forgotten Battles; you don't need IL-2 Sturmovik for the trilogy and you can't add any of the official expansions to it. For a while you could buy IL-2 Sturmovik on disc for $9.99, plus it was included in a three-pack (with Flanker 2.0 and Silent Hunter) that only costed a few dollars more. Finally, IL-2 was being given away for free with CH brand controllers.

Forgotten Battles -- at $19.99, this is an acceptable price, although EB Games and similar stores were clearing their stock last summer and selling it for $9.99. I don't know if the download comes at the last version of FB, v1.22. Notice, however, that there is no mention of Ace Expansion Pack, which is necessary for completing the trilogy and the required bridge between FB and PF. You used to be able to buy FB+AEP together on discs as the "Gold Pack" for $20-30.

Pacific Fighters -- at $19.99 I'd consider this a poor price for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Wal-Mart and other stores carried the boxed version of Pacific Fighters for only $19.99, and that gave you both the standalone and 'merged' versions for that price. Also, I just noticed that the download version stops at 4.01, so if there is a patching issue you may not be able to get it up to the current version of v4.04.

badaboom.1
04-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Skycat-2,Thanks for checking that out,I agree the price for PF is a little high,considering the patching issue,I wonder what the price for CD version of the PE-2 addon will be?

Blooz1
04-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I wish I had known this about Pacific Fighters before I bought the d/l version from D2D!

I can attest to the patch issue - it will only patch to 4.01.

The DVD is the best way to go - one "install" and you're good to go!

Tully__
04-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Considering it was released 15 days ago and I'm the first person in the U.S.A. to notice the unavailability of COMPLETE this speaks volumes. You just haven't noticed the large volumes of other posts prior to yours. Believe me you're nowhere near first to notice, some had worked it out even before the release date.

HitchHikerHSDWG
04-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Skycat_2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HitchHikerHSDWG:

The only IL-2 series title I know for sure that D2D sells is "Pacific Fighters." It may have the earlier parts of the series, I haven't checked, but for the purpose of this discussion you should be aware of the limitations of the D2D version of Pacific Fighters:

The CD-ROM version of Pacific Fighters can be installed two ways simultaneously. The first way is as a 'standalone' game that does not require the previous releases Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack; furthermore, the standalone version cannot be installed to FB+AEP. The second option is as an expansion to Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack, thus completing the trilogy that is now offered as the Complete Edition on DVD.

The D2D dowload of Pacific Fighters only comes as the PF 'standalone' version. This means that you'll never be able to merge it to FB+AEP. Secondly, and possibly more relevant to this discussion, you won't be able to add the three upcoming addons to it. You're stuck with the standalone version of Pacific Fighters.

As Steve said, D2D version users may experience some problems upgrading with patches. From what I've seen, the D2D PF download comes as the most current version, meaning that the vendor does patch the download as necessary. However, there may be a problem with adding any upgrade patches that are released after your D2D download. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that said I bought a screwed version of the game and thats BS. They're advertising the actual game for sale and I never read that it would have compatibility problems. So in other words D2D is selling a lesser game without disclosing it? I'm not trying to argue here, rather figure out if I got screwed!

Tully__
04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Well that said I bought a screwed version of the game and thats BS. They're advertising the actual game for sale and I never read that it would have compatibility problems. So in other words D2D is selling a lesser game without disclosing it? I'm not trying to argue here, rather figure out if I got screwed!
D2D have a notice on their site to the effect that the PF version available for download is not suitable for installation over an FB/AEP installation, that it only installs as standalone PF. From their site:

<span class="ev_code_red">This is the standalone game and not the expansion.</span>

HitchHikerHSDWG
04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
No I understood that part. But the fact that it should just be the same as the version in a PC store is what irks me. Meh I've been thinking about getting the complete collection anyways since its affordable and has all the rest of the games in the series.

Does the complete series version give you the option to install everything seperately? Reason is most of the people I play with have the stand alone of PF which is not compatible with the merged version. Just wondering!

Skycat_2
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
The DVD is a one-shot install so you can't isolate the sum parts of the total. The PF already on your HD shouldn't be affected by the full install, however (they have different root folders) so you'll still have the standalone version after you install the DVD version.

DarkCanuck420
04-17-2006, 11:02 PM
whats the point? if you are typing here most likely you have it all. why buy the dvd??...?

Tully__
04-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Does the complete series version give you the option to install everything seperately?

No, it's an all or nothing proposition. You can however install it alongside your current PF install with no problems.