PDA

View Full Version : Language and Innuendo???

aborgia
11-20-2009, 06:22 PM
This is an honest question from someone who played (and loved) the first, but has reserves with the 2nd.

I really dislike it when games throw out options for/gameplay elements of sexuality (i.e. GTA) and make them such a part of the game that it's all over the place. I personally avoid those things in my personal life, and so I avoid them in games too. I also dislike extreme profanity (particularly the F word--again, GTA). I've seen that the rating on the box has an M for things like sexual content and strong language--my question is what specific things in the game warrant this rating? For instance, is the sexuality more just an implied innuendo (I know about Italian culture and I've seen the courtesan feature--using them as distractions), or is it graphic and unavoidable? And is the language frequent and/or COULD it be considered offensive? What are some scenes in particular I should be wary of?

I've been hyped about the game since I first heard about it (and having loved the first one already), and my family heritage is actually Italian, with some of my actual ancestors being characters in the game. Obviously I've been intrigued a lot. But I like to learn more about games before buying (I bought one game that ended having graphic content in it that soured the experience).

Let me also say that I realize many people don't agree with my viewpoints and opinions--but please don't send any mocking replies or start making 'excuses' about the content and how I should be more "open-minded". This is MY opinion and concern, and you are all entitled to your own as well. Thanks for your help!

Edengoth
11-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Definitely nothing sexually explicit except a woman's naked back just before Ezio lays her onto the bed, and the scene cuts off there. (There's also artistic nudity in the artwork and sculptures, but that's the Renaissance's fault. :P) There is a little bit of innuendo otherwise, but it is rare.

The first leg of the game, especially the present-day bits, are probably not going to be to your taste swearing-wise, but it dies down pretty quickly after you get into the Animus, where most of the swearing is in Italian.

After the first memory sequence with Ezio's early life, nothing should offend you as long as you don't speak Italian and you have the subtitles turned off.

methoto
11-20-2009, 07:38 PM
There's a bit of swearing in the game, but it's mostly in Italian, so if you have subtitles off you won't even notice it.

aborgia
11-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I figured they swore more in Italian... how rough is the language in English? Desmond only said the F word once in AC1...

And can you skip that scene with Ezio and the chick, or do they force you to do that to progress?

Sorry if I seem nitpicky, but I appreciate this!

methoto
11-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by aborgia:
Thanks for the responses so far. I figured they swore more in Italian... how rough is the language in English? Desmond only said the F word once in AC1...

And can you skip that scene with Ezio and the chick, or do they force you to do that to progress?

Sorry if I seem nitpicky, but I appreciate this!

The F word is said a few times in English, but they're few and far in between.

The only way you can skip the scene between Ezio and the girl is to not press the command button when it comes up. If you don't press it, he won't take her clothes off.

the amolang
11-21-2009, 03:44 AM
I completely agree with you. I also am not a fan of games with tons of swearing and sexual content. it just feels fake and I don't really don't want to hear it (or see it). I guess its because I don't swear in real life so I prefer not hearing it in the game either...

but I think I heard somewhere that the main story line has about thirty F words (i think its a bit less than that but thats an approximation) but most are in Italian and you will only notice it if you have the subtitles on.

Edengoth
11-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh, yeah, and Ezio's mother says the word "******s". That's the only sexual part of that particular conversation, but it is a little unsettling.