PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Picking a Joystick

stanner1935
12-22-2004, 09:07 PM
I have a Saitek Cyborb 3D Gold which is starting to show its age.
I have a small PC table so I cannot use a separate throttle and flight stick combination, and also have the keyboard at hand.
I am not interested in force feedback since I think they are not worth the extra money.
I have read review on Logitech sticks which seems to have quality problems.

This leaves the Saitek and Thrustmaster products.
I want the stick for IL2, since I have a CH yoke for my FS 2004.
Does anyone have the new Saitek Cybork Evo?
I am concerned about the very close placement of the buttons on the base. The throttle on the base also looks awkward.

Any comments you may have will be appreciated.
I am willing to spend up to $80.

Thank you.
Stanner

stanner1935
12-22-2004, 09:07 PM
I have a Saitek Cyborb 3D Gold which is starting to show its age.
I have a small PC table so I cannot use a separate throttle and flight stick combination, and also have the keyboard at hand.
I am not interested in force feedback since I think they are not worth the extra money.
I have read review on Logitech sticks which seems to have quality problems.

This leaves the Saitek and Thrustmaster products.
I want the stick for IL2, since I have a CH yoke for my FS 2004.
Does anyone have the new Saitek Cybork Evo?
I am concerned about the very close placement of the buttons on the base. The throttle on the base also looks awkward.

Any comments you may have will be appreciated.
I am willing to spend up to $80.

Thank you.
Stanner

Tully__
12-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Evo is good stick by all accounts.

Although you're lacking space, I think you should still consider the Saitek X-45 or Saitek X-52 (of if your budget will extend that far, a full CH Products set). Though these combinations may not leave space for your keyboard while flying, they are so versatile and programmable that you don't need keyboard (except for text chat in multiplayer). There are people here who have the X-45 (least programmable of the 3) set up to start Hyperlobby, send common text messages, activate all aircraft controls, and just about everything but mouse click. Setting any of these 3 up with this level of programming will only take a few hours at most if you're any good at all with joystick programming and the latest Saitek software is very easy to use for this.

If you're absolutely dead set against throttle/stick combinations and you for some reason decide against the Saitek Evo, also look at the Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro (http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/d_prd.php?p=T63&fam=6)

SithSpeeder
12-22-2004, 10:39 PM
I'd agree with Tully. You can pick up a gently used X-45 for about $55 on ebay (plus shipping), keeping you well within your $80 range. I went through 2 Saitek Cyborg 3D golds (I am a lefty) before joining the dark side and flying right handed with the X-45. It's a great stick for the price and the software is excellent. Just pop off the "launch" button cover, install the drivers and programming software, and grab some other folks profiles.

Or, you could join a squad, mention to them that you're thinking of getting an X-45, and then have a squadmate just GIVE one to you (wouldn't even accept me paying the postage let alone for the stick--thanks Toucan!).

With a pair of rudder pedals (got mine gently used for $80 on ebay), TrackIR2 or higher, and a headset/mic combo, you'll be all set for some serious immersion (no keyboards, no pads, etc.).

YMMV.

Happy Holidays!

* _54th_Speeder *

civildog
12-22-2004, 10:58 PM
I have the EVO and love it! I used to have a Thrustmaster, and miss the heavy springs, but the EVO has all the buttons and throttle I need.

civildog
12-22-2004, 10:58 PM
And since it's a twisty-stick I don't need rudder pedals.