PDA

View Full Version : Can't you just tap circle on everybody, since you can't stun NPCs?

SilentBobBMFJ
01-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Because I seriously have no freakin clue how you guys know somebody is coming for you in Wanted; no clue.

marq08
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
A combination of various observational skills make it fairly obvious who is pursuing you from very far away the majority of the time.

STYJ
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Pursuer's drop signs easily . Look at rainie's channel on youtube . Her style of playing is very defensive and very good (but i'm not a big fan although i use it every now and then) Look at how she picks out her enemy . and yeah, whispers too . listen carefully . Turn up the volume or use a headset . I turn up the volume since i don't have a headset.

Soviet_Mudkip
01-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Most of the time I can tell when a pursuer is coming near me is the Whispers (very eerie creepy womanly voice whispering nonsense) and try look for obvious persona's walking strangely. If someone is walking directly towards you and you hear whisper's good chance that he's your pursuer.

tastemyfreedom
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Just pay attention to how people are moving. After a while it will all make sense and you'll notice the way NPC's move compared to players. That's the best tip I can give you.

STYJ
01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Soviet_Mudkip:
Most of the time I can tell when a pursuer is coming near me is the Whispers (very eerie creepy womanly voice whispering nonsense) and try look for obvious persona's walking strangely. If someone is walking directly towards you and you hear whisper's good chance that he's your pursuer.

when someone (especially alone 'npcs' i.e. players) that are walking diagonally or straight in your path (for poison). but for the straight one, don't just assume anyone walking infront of you in your direction is your pursuer . look for hints . make a back turn and turn your camera around (be prepared to drop your smokebomb) . turn to a corner and see if he follows . etc.

some moves regarding npcs are ..

NPCs don't cut through groups .
NPCs usually don't go alone .
There are some spots that NPCs don't walk on / through .

Soviet_Mudkip
01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by STYJ:
when someone (especially alone 'npcs' i.e. players) that are walking diagonally or straight in your path (for poison). but for the straight one, don't just assume anyone walking infront of you in your direction is your pursuer . look for hints . make a back turn and turn your camera around (be prepared to drop your smokebomb) . turn to a corner and see if he follows . etc.

some moves regarding npcs are ..

NPCs don't cut through groups .
NPCs usually don't go alone .
There are some spots that NPCs don't walk on / through .

oh and NPC's don't walk on the edge of tunnels and CERTAINLY don't walk on the fountain in Rome. Most NPC's move in a Highway Fashion. Rarely to 2 groups go head on so if you see someone going against the crowd it's a good indicator they're not a NPC

obliviondoll
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Also, any time a person is walking behind you and gradually getting consistently closer to the group you're in - probably not an NPC.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-16-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm thinking that I'm concentrating too much on naked stun, which I've been trying to do. It's like 100 points only, right? Ya probably not a good idea. Maybe all defensive stuff is stupid to do as an offense if you know what I'm saying? Maybe I should just ignore my pursuers and just go after my target, I dunno.

BTW, how do you tell when your pursuer is in your line of sight? The red arrow in the upper left turns on? Or is that on all the time, indicating how many people have you as their contract, regardless of where they are?

beacuase...
01-16-2011, 12:53 AM
No, I'm fairly sure the red arrow in the top left will turn on when you lose or gain a pursuer and then just fade out after about 5 seconds. You can bring it up again by hitting select to show the scoreboard.

NPC's also never go from blend to blend. Like, an NPC will never stand talking in a group, leave, and go sit on a bench. People don't seem to do it often, but I've gotten a kill because of that a couple of times, and it's pretty awesome to get such proof so easily.

Sometime's the AI will just start goofing out, walking back and forth in the same little spot. Ignore that guy.

Otherwise, just watch for those players that happen to make a beeline for you, or maybe walk back and forth behind a pillar, because they're watching the compass to see when it lights up meaning that you're in their sight.

But yeah, I guess you could just tap circle at all times, but you'd get a sore thumb and you wouldn't be able to look around. Plus, you might have the wrong person highlighted.

Can anyone tell me if NPC's stick to linear routes when they walk around, or do they have a wandering distance of 5 meters or something?

Rainie
01-16-2011, 01:12 AM
@Bob naked stuns are hard to get, since you have smoke try to use that first, trying to get the stun without an ability first should only be done if you're sure your pursuer doesn't know who you are

@Wzu the npcs have paths but sometimes they go in different directions, i find its easier to watch the places where the npcs never go. once you know those you can lure your pursuers into them to make them reveal themselves

zain_mastron
01-16-2011, 01:39 AM
I do actually just mash O when I've just entered a new area/turned a corner and haven't had a chance to scope out my surroundings or if I'm close to my target and am concentrating on getting that kill.

Does it work? Surprisingly yes.

Should it be relied on? Hell no.

Smoke bombs and Mute are definitely the way to go but every now and then I manage to pull it off. Makes it very satisfying.

Lyleator
01-16-2011, 02:57 AM
I definitely wouldn't just mash circle because you'll most likely end up going for a front on stun (if your pursuer gets into stun range) which of course has the longest action time and is the most noticeable
=> you gonna get stabbed

Good advice in the thread so far. Examples where NPCs never go:
- In chase breaker tunnels
- On the roof (herpderp)
- The Pantheon's pillars in Rome
- The passageways between performance stages (central area of Sienna, Venice)

HiTs4rMaBonG
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Pressing stun when running around can be useful, but dont rely on it. I do it regularly if im running for a target and have a long distance to cross....never know if your pursuer is in front of you and not paying attention. Naked stuns can be pulled off successfully, but need to be timed right. If in a crowd, with pursuer approaching, try to turn around on them while they are still about 1 second out of kill range, and spam stun.....works for me. Ive also noticed people talk up Mute and Smokebombs for defencive purposes...I propose some of you try out Charge. Works both ways weither its stunning a fool high profile behind you, or picking out that pesky morphed guy.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:
Because I seriously have no freakin clue how you guys know somebody is coming for you in Wanted; no clue.

Dude, srsly. L2P.

Stop posting, start playing. End of discussion. Short of express mailing one of us to sit in your room and hold the controller for you, nothing on these forums is going to teach you the truly basic fundamentals about how to play. When you want to learn tricks for provoking chases, stun locking in manhunt, baiting lure by morphing a group you aren't in, hiding in the highest room in Mount to set up stuns, how to get needle int he haystack, etc, come back. But honestly, get to lvl 20 at least, and win at least one match before you post again. All of your questions would have answered themselves.

Bratman Du
01-17-2011, 04:16 AM
I'd like to suggest, at the risk of flammage, you ignore the whispers. Stop trying to listen for them cos it'll distract you. Use your eyes, never fast walk, always move like an npc (straight lines, right angles, don't double back, etc), join moving groups that circle an area (i.e. a moving group that just does laps of a courtyard or something).

The blender perk is a must, but basically I'm saying forget about whispers, just get used to moving like an npc first. Then learn to move the camera around so you can see behind you, practice walking normally like an npc (or if you're in a blend group you'll move automagically) and use the camera to see anyone behind you using fastwalk, anyone who suddenly stops running when they see you, anyone dropping down from rooves, etc.

If you see someone who you suspect is trying to figure out who you are (they might walk around corners and back) lock onto them so you can tell before the lock breaks if they are backtracking, by watching the movement of the lock before it disappears.

Try to stay away from places where they can drop down on you, remain out in the open, and have smoke and or mute ready to go - if you don't have those ready then keep blended, and wait. I wouldn't try to stun someone without mute or smoke.

When you do figure out for definate who is after you, lock onto them. When you see them walking towards your group, don't let them get closer than mute range - instead, break out of your blend group and approach them, with mute ready. If they walk towards your group they're prob gonna use fireworks or templar vision or something to determine which member of the group is you, so pre-empt that and move on them first.

I honestly prefer hunting my pursuer to hunting my target - it's much more tricky.

WIDOMKR383
01-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I have also found that blender is a wounderfull give away. It seems people love to just walk by random static crouds just to see if it works. I've been able to spot a pursuer from clear across the map just by bieng able to see them walk by a static or even a dynamic group while the whispers start coming in. Also the people who purposefully try to avoid walking straight too you (that funny straight line that they do to kinda do the opposite of you till they narrow the gap is also a dead giveaway.

Bratman Du
01-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by WIDOMKR383:
I have also found that blender is a wounderfull give away. It seems people love to just walk by random static crouds just to see if it works. I've been able to spot a pursuer from clear across the map just by bieng able to see them walk by a static or even a dynamic group while the whispers start coming in. Also the people who purposefully try to avoid walking straight too you (that funny straight line that they do to kinda do the opposite of you till they narrow the gap is also a dead giveaway.

Yea I always have blender equipped - but if you're trying to get close to your target and accidentally enter a group - your target may see the blend happening and make you for their pursuer. Blender has tipped off many of my targets so it has it's downside. But I find the pros outweigh the cons.

TheSHENMUE36
01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Watch for walking... if you notice a slight shake like left or right when you see someone walking it is alway a player.( and most likely they are moving their cameara around looking for you which affects their walk and they don't even know it) NPC's always walk perfectly.

HiTs4rMaBonG
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by TheSHENMUE36:
Watch for walking... if you notice a slight shake like left or right when you see someone walking it is alway a player.( and most likely they are moving their cameara around looking for you which affects their walk and they don't even know it) NPC's always walk perfectly.

What he said. With the trained eye you can always pick'em out, if not blended or w/e.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by FearlessSpeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:

Dude, srsly. L2P.

Stop posting, start playing. End of discussion. Short of express mailing one of us to sit in your room and hold the controller for you, nothing on these forums is going to teach you the truly basic fundamentals about how to play. When you want to learn tricks for provoking chases, stun locking in manhunt, baiting lure by morphing a group you aren't in, hiding in the highest room in Mount to set up stuns, how to get needle int he haystack, etc, come back. But honestly, get to lvl 20 at least, and win at least one match before you post again. All of your questions would have answered themselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet you think this is constructive criticism and/or friendly advice.

Based on the last 2 posts I've read of yours, I suggest you just ignore my posts, as we're not going to get along, as it seems you have no tolerance for newbs (and are rude).

I want to know things before I play. I know many people can just jump right into a game and just play and not ask questions or care about the details, but I'm not one of those people.

On the Uncharted 2 forum, I've seen people who are level 50+ say things like "You can change your controller layout?" or "You can blindfire the shotgun? I've been aiming it this whole time." I won't be one of those players, and to me it's baffling how people don't ask questions, go through their options menu, learn what everything does, etc. before/while they play. I call it learning the easy way. It shouldn't be anywhere near as frustrating to you to read my newb posts as it is to me to play the game.

FearlessSpeach
01-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:

I bet you think this is constructive criticism and/or friendly advice.

No, I didn't think it was friendly or nice, I think you are an idiot that can't use the search function and ignores what constructive advice you are given. If you can be bothered to use that function, you may notice YOU, mister Uncharted 2 forum master, are the only person I've ever reacted to this way. (Other than giving Dolly flack, but he deserves it cus he plays footpad and thus is a closeted runner)

So once again, stop posting, start playing. Also, I encourage you to search for how to blind fire, it'll up your session score. I promise.

Bratman Du
01-18-2011, 05:02 AM

Does your player shake when walking if you're looking around in a moving blend group? Or are you just saying it's hard to walk in a straight line when you're moving the camera about?

Black_Widow9
01-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Please stop your bickering or you will find yourselves on vacation and this Topic locked. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

E-Zekiel
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Actually, NPCs don't walk perfectly at all, they walk very erratically when encountering something "complicated" like an object, or a corner, or other NPCs, whereas player characters do not really have a way of exhibiting this erratic style of walk. I've picked people out of a crowd this way before.