PDA

View Full Version : I think AC1 storytelling was better...come see why!

Julius48
12-02-2009, 12:14 PM
After playing through AC2 I got a distinct feeling that I much prefered AC1 story and immersion.

It took me a while to realise this but I worked it out:

at first I thought it was because ( although AC1 side quests sucked) the background info as well as seeing more of your targets doing things made assassinating them much more interesting.

but that wasnt it,

and then it dawned on me....

I hate cutscenes.

AC1 had scenes that played out while you had control of the character ( example, watching in the crowd as a templar you were about to kill argued and got angry with king richard, who the templar planned to overthrow). It added an immesive and an alive feel to the world but most importantly it did not break up the game perspective - as you saw everything from the same perspetive that you played from.
Your targets would play out scenes with people who would walk around normally while you watched from the normal game perspective and it would give the impression that it was all part of the normal game world - matching the action of assassination with the story.

It boils down to the fact that games try to tell their stories like movies - in a cutscene - and it breaks up the experience.

AC2 cutscenes don't add anything to the game either, which makes it even worse.

But I want to know what you guys think, it may seem trivial but I think these issues are important it you want to see gaming take shape as its own type of story telling medium

Do you guys agree....or even care - does this stuff matter to your game experience?

Losk_
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree with you. Also I think the story suffered because I wanted to get out of the animus more often to find out more about the present day stuff. The lack of email to read and things to do in the present was unfortunate.

NuclearFuss
12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I disagree with the cutscene bit. I think it gave the game a much more cinematic feel and I liked that. Plus, they were usually a bit more action oriented.

edwardkidd33
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
well i loved both assassin's creed games. i didnt mind the cutscenes in both but the thing i hated was that targets didnt really fight back in this game. i want more of a fight wit my targets and we all know that ac2 was a huge upgrade from ac1 but there are still places that need improving.

Mitro-Blade
12-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by edwardkidd33:
well i loved both assassin's creed games. i didnt mind the cutscenes in both but the thing i hated was that targets didnt really fight back in this game. i want more of a fight wit my targets and we all know that ac2 was a huge upgrade from ac1 but there are still places that need improving. I agree with the fleeing targets. I'd wish some targets would begin to beg for their lifes like Carlo Grimaldi did in the E3 demo, or atleast try to fight back instead of just running away all the time.

Vozlov-3-0
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
"at first I thought it was because ( although AC1 side quests sucked) the background info as well as seeing more of your targets doing things made assassinating them much more interesting."

I'd have to agree with this part, even if you went further than than this to get your dislike.
Although I'd imagine they cut out on these bits because of the majority not liking it, I actually did.

Learning more about the peolple and their reasons gave alot of depth to the main 'chunk' of what was going on. 'Misensen' if you will.

kew414
12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Losk_:
I agree with you. Also I think the story suffered because I wanted to get out of the animus more often to find out more about the present day stuff. The lack of email to read and things to do in the present was unfortunate.
But with the first game people complained that they didn't like being in the future so much. Really, you can't have it both ways http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

SWJS
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by kew414:
But with the first game people complained that they didn't like being in the future so much. Really, you can't have it both ways http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif In the words of Yahtzee Croshaw; "Fans are clingy complaining dip****s who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make."

Losk_
12-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by kew414:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Losk_:
But with the first game people complained that they didn't like being in the future so much. Really, you can't have it both ways http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, but those people are dumb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

but more seriously, sometimes you shouldnt listen to your customers because what they think they want is actually crap.

TrilliumNero
12-03-2009, 01:38 AM
The cutscenes annoyed me as well. But I have mixed feelings about AC and AC II. Both have pros and cons that, while making both games enjoyable, left much to be desired in both. I know you can't throw everything into a game, toplease everybody, but I felt some VERY good opportunities were missed with AC 2. Cutscenes aside, it also annoyed me to no end that the overall world map was less accessible. I miss the option to choose between fast travel, and a bit of exploration.

joao_santos1976
12-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Ac1 was awsome putting gods and alien like creatures and such is a lot of mambo jambo ,the writers should have a medieval torture put into them to make them review there story guidelines and where they are going...in a moment you see desmond running around in the present with a wrist blade with the LAPD on his tail or worse with a laser blade and rays of of his eyes and thunders of his behind in the future...the writers are going to a place most people dont like at all...