PDA

View Full Version : Dismemberment

rebel7254
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't think decapitation / dismemberment should be added to a game just for the heck of it, but sometimes it's appropriate. I'm only through the first couple of assassinations so far, and I haven't seen any body dismemberment in the combat. With the game already being rated M, and very little else being mature content besides violence as far as I can tell, I don't understand why there is no dismemberment.

Why do I say this? Well, it's because of Altair's fighting technique. I mean, it's kind of silly that it looks like he's swinging his sword as hard as he can when he slashes a guy's neck, but all we get is a blood spray. It would look perfecly realistic for a decapitation in these instances. It would actually be much MORE realistic than a simple blood spray.

For as much as the game is heralded for its realistic graphics (and rightfully so, it looks amazing), it seems odd for the gore/violence to fall short of the realism that the rest of the graphics achieves.

Am I alone here? I know it's nitpicking, but I just think watching the enemy's head roll after taking a homerun swing at his neck with a sword would be much more satisfying and believable than the way it is currently depicted.

ScytheOfGrim
04-21-2008, 12:30 PM
What are you talking about?
Just about every single one of Altair's moves sends a limb flying!

... are you sure you're playing the right game?

the_assassin_07
04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Actually Scythe there is no dismemberment. No heads or limbs fly off... There is violence but not of that scale.

ScytheOfGrim
04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Stop trying to mislead him, that's not nice at all.

Especially considering that he's relatively new to AC, be considerate assassin_07. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

the_assassin_07
04-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Okayyyy sorry! _

Phreaky_McGeek
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
To be honest I'm glad that 07 has righted his ways. I never really had much appreciation for attempting to mislead members without good reason.

the_assassin_07
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

<STRIKE>Unless you're really bored...</STRIKE>

Joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ScytheOfGrim
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
xD

... >_>
I feel bad...

Although imagining AC with dismemberment...
It doesn't seem to fit for some reason...

Maybe because the physics engine is bad enough... >_>

the_assassin_07
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM
AC doesn't fit with the gory type of games... More like the 'mild blood' type of game >__>

rebel7254
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I disagree. The main point of the game is that you kill people. Gore certainly fits, especially in the sword fights when you take giant swing at the enemy's neck when he's on his knees.

the_assassin_07
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Well yeah but it doesn't suit the GOW style... Dismemberment yes, but not blood gushing everywhere... I think it's to do with the graphic style. Yes I have a weird way of thinking... I can't really put it into words http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

MyNameIsHannah
04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
i don't know why they don't send heads and arms flying, i think it's probably because it's not that sort of game. Unattached limbs is probably more in the San Andreas separtment or more games along that road.
Personally i love the way I get to make Altair fight, its awsome http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

the_assassin_07
04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
San Andreas... The dismemberment was kinda cartoony >__>
I actually lol'd when I chopped someone's head off...

NasherUK
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
xD

... >_>
I feel bad...

Although imagining AC with dismemberment...
It doesn't seem to fit for some reason...

Maybe because the physics engine is bad enough... >_>

AC uses the Havok physics engine, which is probably the best one around. They just haven't used half of what it is capable of.

It only seems to be used for ragdolls. They could have made the entire city destroyable if they could be bothered.

Also AFAIK there wasn't that much mid-combat dismemberment in real sword fights since people were wearing mail armor which a blade couldn't slice through, most of it was broken bones and stabbing :P

caswallawn_2k7
04-21-2008, 01:45 PM
GTA decapitation is comical and over the top come on they stay standing and sprey blood like a fountain. but why do you need a game to be that violent?

moqqy
04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, it would fit to have dismemberment

rebel7254
04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by NasherUK:
Also AFAIK there wasn't that much mid-combat dismemberment in real sword fights since people were wearing mail armor which a blade couldn't slice through, most of it was broken bones and stabbing :P

Granted, but once again, I'm specifically talking about when Altair viciously slashes his sword across the neck of the enemy (with no helmet) after he has fallen to his knees.

Lhorkan
04-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Speaking of ragdolls, AC ragdolls are freaking horrible! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif For some reason much worse than in HL2.

caswallawn_2k7
04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by rebel7254:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NasherUK:

Granted, but once again, I'm specifically talking about when Altair viciously slashes his sword across the neck of the enemy (with no helmet) after he has fallen to his knees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
your asuming he isnt just slitting their throat it does the same thing.

rebel7254
04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I suppose it could be said that he's just slitting their throats, but that's not quite as believable as cutting their heads off given the velocity and aggressiveness with which he swings the sword.

The blood spray when doing a backhand slice to the neck with the hidden blade, on the other hand, is perfect because you feel like that's all that should happen. But when you see him viciously hack away at the neck with a large blade while the opponent is on his knees, I think a simple blood spray just looks out of place.

NasherUK
04-21-2008, 02:54 PM
But he hits the neck then slides it away, it doesn't go all the way through :P

drego5
04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
It pierces vertically down his shoulder, it doesn't lob his head off at the neck.