PDA

View Full Version : Time For a Major Effort Supporting www.il2skins.com !

LuckyBoy1
11-08-2004, 08:27 AM
I wanted to thank not just the folks who run IL-2 skins, but everyone who puts their hard work up on that site so that we, as a community can enjoy them. Depending on my mood, I like skins that go from the completely historically accurate ones (or at least as we can make them) to the wild and fun ones.

I think everyone who doesn't make skins, but downloads them from www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) should fork over $10.00 U.S. or the same type effort in other currencies so www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) can increase their ability to serve the community. The server was already overloaded with requests before ACE came out. Now that we have Pacific Fighters, there are what, how many planes to choose from? Isn't it like 230 skin types and climbing as we get new patches for the game? This promises to put even more stress on the server and IP connection at www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) and all of us who benefit from downloading skins need to put our money where our mouth is! Be honest with yourself. Ask yourself, "Have I recieved $10.00 worth of benefit from that site"? I'm sure the answer is yes and even if it isn't, it would be hard to say with a straight face that you didn't get $5.00 worth of good out of the deal. Let's show our faith and appreciation not just for the game, but for the the wonderfull choice in skins we have. I'd guestimate there's about 20 Gigs worth of skins to choose from at that site and I'd like nothing better than to see even more available. Let's give back to those who help make this game as great as it is!

My understanding is that they don't make (and quite often lose) money running www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) and if we can come together as a community, not only will we stop them from having to support us, but they'll take any extra cash and put it to better servers and IP connections. They take PayPal and we should all visit their site and get busy forking over what has been long overdue!

LuckyBoy1
11-08-2004, 08:27 AM
I wanted to thank not just the folks who run IL-2 skins, but everyone who puts their hard work up on that site so that we, as a community can enjoy them. Depending on my mood, I like skins that go from the completely historically accurate ones (or at least as we can make them) to the wild and fun ones.

I think everyone who doesn't make skins, but downloads them from www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) should fork over $10.00 U.S. or the same type effort in other currencies so www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) can increase their ability to serve the community. The server was already overloaded with requests before ACE came out. Now that we have Pacific Fighters, there are what, how many planes to choose from? Isn't it like 230 skin types and climbing as we get new patches for the game? This promises to put even more stress on the server and IP connection at www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) and all of us who benefit from downloading skins need to put our money where our mouth is! Be honest with yourself. Ask yourself, "Have I recieved $10.00 worth of benefit from that site"? I'm sure the answer is yes and even if it isn't, it would be hard to say with a straight face that you didn't get $5.00 worth of good out of the deal. Let's show our faith and appreciation not just for the game, but for the the wonderfull choice in skins we have. I'd guestimate there's about 20 Gigs worth of skins to choose from at that site and I'd like nothing better than to see even more available. Let's give back to those who help make this game as great as it is!

My understanding is that they don't make (and quite often lose) money running www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) and if we can come together as a community, not only will we stop them from having to support us, but they'll take any extra cash and put it to better servers and IP connections. They take PayPal and we should all visit their site and get busy forking over what has been long overdue!

scottmal1
11-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Well said, i've been using il2 skins for about 2 months (50 ish skins), i don't like paypal so i've just emailed 'sharx' to see if i can send a postal order or something.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-08-2004, 09:09 AM
I've seen many pleas of financial support lately and it's really ashame that it has to come to this so often.

I would really like to see people support sites like this as well as servers they frequent without solicitation, but reality is it's very easy to take it for granted and not realize that there is always a cash-flow association with anything.

Personally, I support the servers I frequent the most but have been negligent in the past in supporting IL2skins...which I will rectify in short order.

TB

LuckyBoy1
11-08-2004, 11:07 AM
A couple more points about www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com)

I've had a pop-up blocker for so long now, I can't remember for sure, but I think you don't get pop-ups when you visit the site.

Also, they don't try and put spyware on your pc or get into your business in any way.

If we don't a better job of supporting this site, we'll probably be able to get some skins, but the long load times will make it so that those who make skins will get fed up and not go through the trouble it takes to upload skins to that site. I'm sure to one extent or another, this is already happening.

mllaneza
11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
I'm in for CDN$15.00.

Jaws2002
11-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Thx for the heads up. IL-2 Skins is a major part of this sim.
Please support this site. Send the cigarets money for one day and will all be ok. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Simjock
11-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Why don't you burn all those skins to a CD and give it as a "gift" to users who donate $20.00 or more.
Even non-pofits' have to consider marketing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Bearcat99
11-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Thats a good idea.. it would actually cut down on some of the traffic too. Of courtse you dont want to cut down on too much traffic but....

Taylortony
11-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Simjock, I don't think you realise and I hope Sharxs does not mind me mentioning it, but this site is being provided by one person and one person alone... Sharxs produces the site, writes it, updates it, repairs it, maintains it and pays a not inconsiderable part of the running cost often all of it.... I believe he simply cannot afford to do more both time and expense or produce CD's from it....

It is true what is said about it costing people... I do chip in every now and then to support it and I will again, on top of that I skin for it too and often buy books magazines software etc so I can deliver the most accurate skins I can, a lot of people will not even realise the level we often go to to ensure the stencilling on the skins is correct, of the correct style, spelling and placement and that the skin blends seamlessly around the Aircraft.... To produce a skin can take literally weeks of work in producing a template to produce a skin, something I then tend to make available for all to use....Take my Spitfire template, I spent 2 full days drawing and redrawing the fuselage roundels alone to correct them for the fuselage distortions.

True I do get Gratification from seeing them used and really like to read the appreciative comments added as well as critisms that help me improve my skins, but some people can't even be bothered to add that...

Il2skins is a unique site and Personally I think the likes of UBI should be able to put in some sponsorship towards it, after all they are reaping the benefits of this Major IL2 site, and it is a major site in the scheme of things and lets face it, it probably does as much to promote and enhance their product as any site whilst they reap the benefits from it. but as said that is just my opinion, no one elses...

I will continue to support it both in Skins and money, but remember all of you, the next time you see the site is busy, it is simply because of the huge amount of skins and the popularity of the site, be patient after all you are getting high quality products for free, from a site being provided by someone at his own expense for the benefit of others....

Enjoy the Skins..

Salute Sharxs and Thank you..

WTE_Galway
11-08-2004, 03:59 PM
it does seem odd that ubi cannot afford to at least divert some small fraction of their advertising money to a banner add on this site which may even sell a few of their other games

at_evans
11-08-2004, 06:25 PM
I'll be happy to donate something on the 15th, as long as I get paid.=)

Udidtoo
11-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm always glad to send my $7.77 U.S. Sharxs way( don't ask me but thats what paypal converts $10 US into Canadian)

I just hope paypal plays with others better this time. Last time I could have skipped to the Great White North backwards and put it in his hand faster.

Red_Russian13
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I do appreciate what you guys do for us over there at il2skins.com. But I know appreciation only goes so far.

As soon as I get paid, I'll send you some cash! Again, I appreciate what you guys do!

adlabs6
11-08-2004, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simjock:
Why don't you burn all those skins to a CD and give it as a "gift" to users who donate $20.00 or more.
Even non-pofits' have to consider marketing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, well firstly the number of skins in the archive were around 15GB when I last checked (if I remember right...) If there were a CD giveaway, it would be more like a disc library! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

That sort of thing isn't likely though, as Sharx is very busy with other things. But the financial support you guy provide is something he will greatly appreciate.

For him, I will say ... Thanks.

charshep
11-09-2004, 01:12 AM
I hate to say it but between the hardware costs that this game incurs and the number of quality il-2 servers that are asking for, and deserve, monetary support it's easy to suffer a bit of giver's fatigue. I think what needs to happen is that the people providing il-2 resources need to somehow pool there donation efforts. I'm not exactly sure how but I'm thinking along the lines of single, integrated "store front" for making quick and easy donations that would apply to il2skins and some of the better dedicated servers. I think if something like this were made available people would be more willing to make contributions. I think the overall increase in contributions would be large enough that all of the participants could split the income equally and still come out ahead of what they're pulling in now.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-09-2004, 07:55 AM
I looked for the PayPal link on the site but can't seem to find it...

TB

Udidtoo
11-09-2004, 08:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
I looked for the PayPal link on the site but can't seem to find it...

TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Main page....scrool down....you haven't been hijacked by a troll have you? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Its always right at the bottom.

LuckyBoy1
11-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Right at the bottom of the main page you'll find the PayPal symbol. Just click on it!

I think the idea of having all the skins available on CD would be a great deal all around....

First, it would relieve the www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) server from duties.

Second, it lessens the amount of bandwidth used at www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) reducing their cost of running the site as well.

Third, if he charged like enough to cover the cost of the CD's, the cost of shipping and maybe a few bucks thrown in to help cover the costs of the site, I'm sure it would work out. I've found that if you just include the skins and nothing but the skins, the zipped up folders for each plane end up being about half the size of what's in my skins folder. As a result, I'd say that everything on the site could fit on 7-10 CD's.

Last, but not least is the reasons why more and more people are downloading all the skins for some series of planes or even all the skins...

A) Yes, you can see the purdy pictures of the skins at the site, but there's nothing like trying them on for real. I've found skins I was sure I'd like not to be to my tastes once I finally tried them in the game. I've also found skins I was sure I wouldn't like to be skins I loved once I tried them. You'd think that you would be able to finger all this out before trying them, but I've found it just not to be so.

B) When playing online, I've found that having skin downloads enabled does not cause nearly the ping trouble if everyone playing already has the skins. Apparently, if everyone has the same file name in their skins folders, each computer simply tells the server and the others which file it is using and your PC says, "Ok, you don't have to send me that skin because I've already got it". This way, your skins show up on the other players screens faster and the ping rate for everyone goes down.

There are two things to consider when doing this...

1) Do you have the hard drive space to dedicate to a very large skin folder?

2) When you go to choose a plane, it will take longer because the RAM loads up the list of skins to choose from. No, it will not waste that RAM. As soon as you choose a plane and exit that screen, it will discard that information. Of course, if you go back into that screen to change the skin or weapons loadout or fuel etc. again, you will have the same delay in that screen coming up. I have a Gig of RAM and when I choose a P-51-D, when I go to change the loadout or fuel or whatever, it takes about 5 seconds for the screen to load and I've got a pretty fast PC. So in the end, it would come down to a "is it worth it" thing which can be answered differently by everyone who plays the game and still be the correct answer for that person.

If Sharx doesn't have the time to fool with this, I'd be glad to finish downloading all the planes and extract them and put them in the correct folders. Then I'd zip up each plane's skin folder and burn it to CD. I would only charge people the cost of the CD's, the cost of shipping and $5.00 U.S. added that would go in full to www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) I would add no expenses for myself and if the effort burns up my CD-RW, I'll pay for that myself! Also, I would be prepared to accept less in the way of a donation to Sharx for those who are in countries where $5.00 U.S. turns out to be a substantial part of the average paycheck. I'm thinking of a guy I know in Romania who makes like $200.00 U.S. a month! Still, the added shipping costs would probably bring the price right back up again even if I knocked the donation level to those folks down to like $1.00 U.S. Still, I think it would be fair to do this for folks in some countries and would help keep this a truly International game which is one of IL-2's unique characteristics.

I'd guestimate the cost of doing this with the $5.00 U.S. added for a donation to Sharx to bring the total cost to about $15.00, but I haven't priced CD's in bulk or how many CD's it will actually take to get all the skins included and I have not figured the exact cost of shipping, so I couldn't tell you for sure. I'd guestimate the demand for these CD's could run as low as maybe 20 people all the way up to 1,000. Even if only 20 people want it, it will take some stress off of the www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) site and that's a good thing. The only sticking point I see is possibly being accused of making this a for profit venture and nothing could be farther from the truth. I simply will not pocket a single penny from this effort and I'm sure Sharx will just plow whatever I send him back into the site again. Still, we would need the skinners to consent to this deal.

Any constructive thoughts on this idea?

-HH-Quazi
11-09-2004, 09:22 AM
All good ideas, but as far as doing the cd thing, there's always new skins coming out. So either way, people that would purchase the cd will want to be hitting the site to check out the newer skins.

As far as donations go, we donate as a squad. And over the last year, I think it has averaged out a little less than $10 month. But now that we have been growing a bit, I think we can double that. And this is an idea for squadrons. Just some thoughts m8's.

adlabs6
11-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Luckyboy, I'll forward this idea to Sharx. He hasn't been around often in the last week, due to work.

pselva
11-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I am still new here but the site is awesome. Money sent. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mysticpuma2003
11-09-2004, 10:17 AM
How about paying $20 to access an FTP server containing a zip file for every plane set i.e all Spitfires in one pack, all P-47's in another etc,etc.
The $20 gets you access to all of the files nicely zipped rather than individual download.
Alternately, how about a 5 star zip pack for $10, containing every skin rated 4.5 and above?
Just trying to offer marketing ideas, what do you think.

LuckyBoy1
11-09-2004, 01:34 PM
An even more excellent idea if we can get Sharx to do the work!

blairgowrie
11-09-2004, 03:44 PM
I also have a problem with Paypal. If there was another way to donate, I would gladly do it. Visa would be my preference.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Money sent.

Allen

LuckyBoy1
11-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks Thunderguy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I hope I'm not being too much of a pain to Sharx by suggesting this idea, but let's face it, even if BoB is a great success (and I predict it won't be) this game will be around and played as the main serious WWII flight sim for at least the next 5 years or more and that's a long time in gaming! I predict that as the average users computers catch up with the ability to run this game well, we'll see more and more people joining in. It's too bad that UBI and 1C will probably have the game on the discount rack by the time this happens, but I predict that in about a year from now, this game will reach the majic, critical mass 3 million copies sold and at that point, just from word of mouth alone, it will really take off. When and if that happens (and I predict it will be a when, not an if) many things will change.

Most of these changes will be, in my opinion, a good thing. I think we'll see demand for a Mediterranean map and a Chinese/Burma map with all the planes it would take to finish this game off as a truly complete WWII flight sim game. I predict we'll see 3rd party developers continue to make IL-2 Manager and dynamic campaign generators as we've seen before and the demand for skins will skyrocket as a result.

Just think, you'll be able to say that you played a key role in developing a game that was clearly superior to anything Cousin Billy or anyone else produced! Unfortunately, as it has always been an effort by the Community that has always been financially unrewarding that has kept this whole thing going. I really doubt that if people were not willing to make cockpits etc. that the game would have come this far. As I said before, like it or not, this game is not a big money maker for UBI or 1C. Of course, if we lose our focus now and coast on just what we've, as a community have already done, then yes, I'd say this is the last bit of this game you'll ever see. If however, we fork over a few bucks to help those who benefit the game, I predict we will be payed back in added planes and maps over time. Simple inertia will make this a certainty as long as we are the ones providing the energy to keep it in development. With PF we now have the ability to host like... what is it?... 128 players at once? If the dedicated servers had most of the skins, I'd say their connections could probably host more players. Also, like I say, some folks will just plain want all the skins. Even if you are not amoung those who will do this, it is still in your best interest to support www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) so that we all do not lose out in the long run. Be like Thunderguy and others and fork over a few Zloty's!

Worf101
11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
I just sent him $30.00 of "real" ie American money for his website. This is the second time I've contributed in the last year and a half. Hope it helps...

Da Worfster

brimigus
11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
It's too bad the full real servers with there skins down loads disabled make sure that the skinners talents go unnoticed.Thats the main reason why i fly external.some of the talent out there blows away any thing we get from oleg.
but to charge would probaly kill the site and skinners would just trade peer to peer or another higher bandwith site would take over like check six or thew new mudmovers.what might be a better idea is sell advertisment on the site, it's gets enough hits.but then again maybe advertiser dont want to be affiliated with any thing that has a swasticka on it.you know how sensative people are.

JRJacobs
11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
done... $20 CA eh