PDA

View Full Version : Install problem

Drewie2005
10-03-2005, 10:14 PM
When I perform the install it quits after 40% giving me an error. I've searched the forums and saw I was having exactly the same problems as some other users and I followed the guidelines given in there.

I followed every step described in the "java-related installation problem" topic, except one: the removal of SP2 as I have a retail version of win xp with SP2 already installed. So there's no going back for me. I installed the java update but still experiencing the same problem.

Does anyone know if there's another fix for this problem then described?

btw: the demo installed and ran just fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Mr Zebe D
10-04-2005, 06:22 AM
I'd be grateful if you'd try another disk on your machine now that you've updated your java to 1.5.0 u5.

There is a group of people for whom going from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0 u5 worked and a group for whom it didn't, where the error message was the same as for 1.4.2. I'd like anyone from the second group to try it with a different disk.

Since Jenneth succeeded on an SP2 machine we can't be sure that SP2 is the problem.

Drewie2005
10-04-2005, 10:13 AM
It's really weird stuff, installed different versions of java but no change in the error message. I have to say that I renamed and deleted the Installshield folder but that it didn't get rewritten. Actually after deleting it, then installing EoA, I wasn't able to run the uninstall. I needed to restore the Installshield folder

Heimdall_G
10-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Have you been installing EoA as detailed in Myst V: Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3471054943/m/6171031163)?

Drewie2005
10-04-2005, 12:12 PM
yes I followed every instruction exactly as described, like 10 times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

except for the removal of SP2

Heimdall_G
10-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Well, you could try removing SP2 and installing SP1a....

Drewie2005
10-04-2005, 03:29 PM
No I can't, there is nothing to uninstall

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&Product=winxp

Note You cannot remove Windows XP SP2 if you installed the service pack on a computer that already had Windows XP SP2 installed. The removal program will roll back to the version of Windows that existed before your installation. In this case, the program will roll back to the first installation of Windows XP SP2.

Mr Zebe D
10-04-2005, 04:39 PM
You can, but not as a rollback.

You do an install over install from your original bootable CD (having downloaded the sp1a upgrade from the Microsoft website).

Drewie2005
10-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zebe D:
You can, but not as a rollback.

You do an install over install from your original bootable CD (having downloaded the sp1a upgrade from the Microsoft website).

sorry but I have lost you there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif how exactly?

Morvian
10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
I would like to point out that having Sun Java Runtime installed is not a requirement to run this game or any other game using Sun Java. I remember game Chrome that also used Sun Java and worked fine on my computer although I never installed Java Runtime. These games simply install all required Java files into game folder and run Java from there.

I tried installing Myst V in Windows 2000 where I never had Sun Java and the game never complained and finished installation.

Rolling back to XP SP1 is pointless because SP2 is causing problems only to programs that need to connect to the Internet and then SP2 alerts you. I never noticed any attempt of Myst V to connect tot he Internet which would block installer from finishing the installation.

What I know is:

1. You don't need Sun Java Runtime installed,
2. Version of Sun Java Runtime doesn't matter,
3. XP SP2 is not an issue.

All I can think of is some problem with installer itself that has some problems on certain systems. I would really appreciate a new installer avaialble for download that would force installation of all files diregarding any nonsensical Java errors.

Drewie2005
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I've had it with this, going to the store for a refund right now.

Thx for trying to help

Mr Zebe D
10-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Though it isn't going to help you now, Drewie, in your BIOS is the option to boot up from floppy disk, C:\ drive or CD-ROM. If you set your BIOS to boot from CD-ROM and put your original Windows XP disk in, when your pc next starts up it will be from within XP which thinks you're about to install it for the first time.

You'd then need to run your saved SP1a upgrade to enable you to connect to the internet again.

Drewie2005
10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Okay, I found the problem, the guy I buy my games from was arrested for distributing fake TV's, stereo's, and so on. Probably games too. I was in time for my refund so after hearing this news I went to another store and bought it there, 10" more expensive but working like a charm. So maybe that's the way to explain the install problem...

Thought you guys should know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bbscan1
10-08-2005, 04:35 AM
There is another way. I was plagued with all of the same problems previously noted here and in Uru Obsession but did not have to revert to a previous version of XP. I am using XP SP2. In my case, the winner was to get rid of my 'old' Java & install v. 1.5 (clean boot), 2. along the way i did the prudent steps of removing all temp, tmp etc files and defrag/optimize. 3. finally, from a SAFE Boot, I was able to install directly fm the DVD to my machine. Be patient, however, the final step of the install is the decompressing of the sound files which 'appears' to have been my problem. I have not experienced any difficulty since and have been to all Ages.

Mr Zebe D
10-08-2005, 04:55 AM
bbscan1, your method doesn't work for everyone, hence Drewie2005's thread. There is a group of people for whom no matter what they do they still get the java 1.4.2 error message.