PDA

View Full Version : question about trackir

raaaid
04-21-2006, 06:55 AM
im looking forward at 0º and i turn my head back 180º but the game just lets you pan 150º

will the look be off center 30º when you look forward again or it will be fine at 0º?

Retrofish
04-21-2006, 07:17 AM
So you strap your monitor to your head?

That's actually a semi-good idea.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

Sturmtrooper
04-21-2006, 07:31 AM
No Raaaid, when you turn 180 with your head(are you Linda Blair? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif)the TIR will stop seeing the reflective dot and thus the game view will stop at the angle the tracking stopped. Probably way before you are at 180. When you turn back towards the screen the TIR will see the dot and resume its tracking and will center when you are at 0 (or wherever your deadzone is).

Does that answer your question ?

raaaid
04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
then ill get one for this summer, great

VT-51_Razor
04-21-2006, 08:17 AM
You won't regret it Raaaid. It's the most intuitive, easy to use, and essential piece of equipment you will ever buy for computer flying experience, other than maybe a joystick.

EiZ0N
04-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I just don't like the idea of sticking dots to my face.

They ought to design some kit that uses face recognition to determine how the head is moving rather than using reflective dots and such.

It'd require some serious processing though. Perhaps in the future...

FoolTrottel
04-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Suggestion:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/GlassesTIR.jpg
Have Fun!

HotelBushranger
04-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Just chuck em on yer hat or somethin http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WB_Outlaw
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Actually there is (or at least was a few years ago) a piece of freeware out there that does exactly that. It finds the end of your nose and maps the motion to the mouse. It worked nicely when I tried it but that's not much of a challenge when the camera is pointed at me.

I don't know if it ever went anywhere or even if it's still available.

The easist thing to do with the TrackIR is buy a cheap pair of sunglasses, knock the lenses out, and put the dot on the sunglasses.

--Outlaw.

Retrofish
04-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by EiZ0N:

They ought to design some kit that uses face recognition to determine how the head is moving rather than using reflective dots and such.

It'd require some serious processing though. Perhaps in the future...

I tried to use this (http://nipg.inf.elte.hu/headmouse/headmouse.html) instead of CamToPan together with Newview. It sort of worked, but honestly not worth the hazzle to set up. If it had some more features like hotkeys and deadzone though...

Still, very impressive the way it 'locks' on to facial features.

VF-51-Dart
04-21-2006, 09:54 AM
No need to stick dots anywhere. You use the Vector clip that comes with it and put that on the bill of a ball cap.

Crash_Moses
04-21-2006, 12:47 PM
But my head gets hot despite my regulation high and tight!

I do like Fooltrottle suggests only I wrap the dot around the back and put a dob of super-glue on it (DON'T put the glasses on until the super-glue drys...trust me...voice of experience here). Works like a charm.

For Vector expansion though, a cap is best although NP says the clip works on a headset as well...

S!

Akronnick
04-21-2006, 04:23 PM
I put the dot on the end of my mic boom. Since I'm using voice commands I have to wear the headset anyway, so why not put the dot there.

EiZ0N
04-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I know I sound a bit whiny but I don't want to wear a cap, as hats make my head get hot very quickly. As for wearing some glasses with a dot, I suppose that'd be acceptable. I think the people that I live with would think me very strange, though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm looking at that headmouse software you posted Retrofish, if only out of interest rather than for the game. I study Artificial Intelligence so and have studied facial recognition, so I find it pretty interesting to actually see these applications as I've not really seen them in any USEFUL practical system. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm having a bit of trouble with the software however. edit: I got it working, and it's pretty cool. I'd agree that with some hotkeys and deadzone it'd be very usable.

As it is, it jiggles about too much (i.e. no deadzone).

It was a weird experience though. To be honest, using my head to look around kind of gave me a headache, as it's quite straining on the eyes looking around the monitor when turning your head the other way (infact that felt rather unnatural - moving your head but not your eyes).

Maybe I'm just tired, but it's kind of given me a headache!

juryman03
04-21-2006, 05:55 PM
I've got a TrackIR 4, and I use the 3-reflector thing that clips on the bill of a baseball hat, and it works great. But I was wondering since Pacific Fighters only supports 2 degrees of freedom, would it work just as well just using a stick-on dot instead. That would be a little less cumbersome.

Also I've noticed the IR sensor (the piece that sits on the monitor) gets quite warm during the game. I presume that's normal, right?

e2michaelb
04-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I just got my TrackIR Pro 4 and am just learning the ropes. I have discovered that my head moves quite a lot on its own. I really have to concentrate on keeping it still when I fly straight. Another thing; I can't bind "hot keys" to my HOTAS (Saitex X45) I have the "pause" and "precision" keys bound to "Tab" and "Caps Lock", which are real handy to my throttle hand. However, the "center" hot key will not respond to my joystick hat key. Any ideas out there? I find it curious that after surviving a 20-minute dogfight, I feel more wrung out using TrackIR than the old style hat-keys for view control. I think that is probably a problem of learning to discipline my head movements, 'cause old T-IR picks up the tiniest twitch. I really like being able to turn and merge while smoothly keeping my eye on my adversary. I haven't quite gotten the knack of keeping the gunsight centered on my aim points, though. It seems like my eye is always coming off the sight. I fully agree with those who recommend TrackIR; once I get it adjusted right, and learn to control my head twitches, I reckon I'll fly better and enjoy it more.

Dean3238
04-21-2006, 08:43 PM
The following helped me set mine up so it was "reasonable". Still getting used to it.

TrackIR Set Up (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm)

Dean

AKA_TAGERT
04-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by raaaid:
im looking forward at 0º and i turn my head back 180º but the game just lets you pan 150º

will the look be off center 30º when you look forward again or it will be fine at 0º? Depends on the speed of light in your neck of the woods

Lodovik
04-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by e2michaelb:
I fully agree with those who recommend TrackIR; once I get it adjusted right, and learn to control my head twitches, I reckon I'll fly better and enjoy it more.

I had the same problem at first, but it's really just a matter of training. Still, I'd really like to be able to program the Saitek hat #1 "up" position for recentering TracIR. I've tried to program the hat with the "act as button" option, but the current programming tool doesn't let me choose the hats for that.

roybaty
04-22-2006, 02:27 PM
So how did you turn your head 180°? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

WB_Outlaw
04-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Lodovik:
Still, I'd really like to be able to program the Saitek hat #1 "up" position for recentering TracIR. I've tried to program the hat with the "act as button" option, but the current programming tool doesn't let me choose the hats for that.

I use a hat on my X-52 for centering but it's setup as a keypress (Num 5), not a button.

--Outlaw.

tagTaken2
04-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by WB_Outlaw:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lodovik:
Still, I'd really like to be able to program the Saitek hat #1 "up" position for recentering TracIR. I've tried to program the hat with the "act as button" option, but the current programming tool doesn't let me choose the hats for that.

I use a hat on my X-52 for centering but it's setup as a keypress (Num 5), not a button.

--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

keypress is the way to go.

x6BL_Brando
04-24-2006, 06:51 AM
I got a free TrackHat a while ago and it works very well and doesn't look too stupid if you forget to take it off and go into the streethttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But it does make your head hot too. My solution is to use one of those sun-visors that I can get really cheaply in this seaside town. Then I take the plastic blade-guard from a cheap modellers scalpel and stand that on end. Then I cut down through one wall and I can clip this onto the front edge of the peak. One of the large, square reflective dots stuck on this clip works fine, and I don't get an itchy scalp.

B.

Retrofit
04-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

I do like Fooltrottle suggests only I wrap the dot around the back and put a dob of super-glue on it (DON'T put the glasses on until the super-glue drys...trust me...voice of experience here). Works like a charm.

For Vector expansion though, a cap is best although NP says the clip works on a headset as well...

S!

Buy a golf hat. The ones with the bill and a strap.

tagTaken2
04-27-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Retrofit:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crash_Moses:

S!

Buy a golf hat. The ones with the bill and a strap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save money for 4.05, put your fist through the trackIr hat.

x6BL_Brando
04-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Save money for 4.05, put your fist through the trackIr hat

Would you make a movie of you doing that? My wife's on holiday and I need a good laugh!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B.

Crash_Moses
04-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Too late...I just stapled it to my forehead.

Money for PE-2 already saved (one more day! drool)

S!