PDA

View Full Version : Never before seen photographs from world war 1 The battle of Passchendaele

slo_1_2_3
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I figured some of you might be interested

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/new...7811&in_page_id=1770 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=467811&in_page_id=1770)

slo_1_2_3
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I figured some of you might be interested

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/new...7811&in_page_id=1770 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=467811&in_page_id=1770)

Blood_Splat
07-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Jeez after all that death in WWI you'd think we'd learn our lesson. But no there had to be WWII, because Germany and some nut job didn't like the treaty of Versailles and wanted land and blah, blah, blah. Fifty million people dead later wow amazing.

Chris0382
07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Ah but America didnt like the Versailles treaty either and didnt support it. It was Austria that started the war Germany was stuck being allied to Austria and France and Russia to Serbia.

France wanted to crumble Germany while England wanted a strong Germany to do trade with. Germany was practically humilated in the V Treaty.

Just some opinions that may have caused WW2 to be more likely. Cant say for sure though as that part of the world was quite atrocious before WW1 with many other forms of Genocide also. Its that those events occured at a time of modernization and industrialization making killing easier.

Blood_Splat
07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
No countries were really following it but Germany got cuffed the hardest.

luftluuver
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Typical media, they can't even get their captions correct. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The dead soldier the other 3 are looking down at is not Allied but German.

Notice the German machinegun crew is standing in water over their waists.

One really has to ask how tough modern soldiers are when the come home with their heads all messed up after seeing what the soldiers in WW1 had to put up with and go though?

csThor
07-14-2007, 01:08 AM
If you ask me the machine gun crew pic is a fake. That "hole" looks a lot bigger than just for two folks. And the illumination of the two men does not match the one of the stuff around them.

Taylortony
07-14-2007, 03:28 AM
You couldn't somehow envisage a War Corrospondent and film crew rushing around no mans land filming the war live for us as it happens today though could you......

Imagine a gaggle of Papparatzi standing in no mans land next to that German gunpit flashguns going trying to get the exclusive scoop from the front lines....... They would all be mown down from both sides and the world would be a better place http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

csThor
07-14-2007, 03:37 AM
Often enough the troops had to pretend to be in battle for the press. It happened in WW1 and it happened in WW2. Just wanted to say that this MG crew shot was too obvious a fake.

x6BL_Brando
07-14-2007, 04:15 AM
It says in the article that the photos have been retouched for colour but they are all genuine photos. In fact they have selected some fairly tame, obviously posed shots of the battlefield - but then it is the Daily Mail. "Never before seen colour photos" doesn't mean they are new photos, just that they've been coloured

I think you'll find if you look closer that the machine-gunners aren't in water to their waists. They are at a firing step and the water-filled shell-hole is behind them (about ten metres off their four o'clock).

I's correct to say that modern soldiers wouldn't cope with the conditions as they were on the '14-'18 Western front.

B

Bewolf
07-14-2007, 04:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luftluuver:
Typical media, they can't even get their captions correct. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The dead soldier the other 3 are looking down at is not Allied but German.

Notice the German machinegun crew is standing in water over their waists.

One really has to ask how tough modern soldiers are when the come home with their heads all messed up after seeing what the soldiers in WW1 had to put up with and go though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who says that those ppl werent messed up as well? Darn, I really can't remember the scientific term for it right now. "battle fatigue" was what it once was labelled.
There were countless cases of "messed up" heads in WW1. It just was not recognized as that back then. Same with WW2, really. Countless ppl came home and coudn't fit into their lives anymore. The problems involved were only "really" investigated during Vietnam the first time, though, and publicated since then.

PMCI1964
07-14-2007, 04:50 AM
I believe modern soldiers would ask more questions than thier 1914-18 counterparts , and rightley so. Also modern commanders are not so detached from thier men and are much more aware off the conditions facing them. We cannot compare modern fighting men to that of 1914-18 as familys where larger then, infant mortallity rate much higher and life expectencey shorter. These soldiers where more used to death than the modern soldier.I believe it is an error to dought the moral or physicial courage of modern fighting men.Also with the change in class structure the public would not accept such a price in lives for so little gain.Just some thoughts from a 25 year sevice ex infantry man.

Waldo.Pepper
07-14-2007, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe modern soldiers would ask more questions than their 1914-18 counterparts , and rightly so. Also modern commanders are not so detached from their men and are much more aware off the conditions facing them. We cannot compare modern fighting men to that of 1914-18 as families where larger then, infant mortality rate much higher and life expectancy shorter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know - I hope you are right. But the wars that a fought these days seem to be less threatening to the nation as a whole. WW1 and WW2 were wars that threatened to be wars that would generate regime change in the countries of those that participated. Modern wars (I am thinking of Falkland's - Gulf War 1, current conflicts in Afghanistan/Irag etc do not seem to be threatening regime change in the Western nations). If WW3 broke out in Europe and Soldiers families homes and loved ones were threatened with imminent widespread peril - then I certainly think that Modern soldiers would but up with anything.

I think Modern soldiers put up with a hell of a lot as it is, even without their homelands under threat of widespread imminent peril.

Back on topic of WW1 Soldiers and what they put up with - If you want to learn more of what WW1 Soldiers had to put up with and IF YOU HAVE A STRONG STOMACH - download this pdf I made of pictures of gruesomely wounded Soldiers from WW1.

WARNING! They are horrible to look at. They are from medical journals. They are on topic.

http://www.zshare.net/download/2689546296cc42/

If anyone objects - than by all means some mod please edit this post of mine.

Choctaw111
07-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Those photos are really something. Thank you very much for sharing. Seeing them in color like that makes it feel much more different to me for some reason. The dates, places are facts are the same but to see it in this way perhaps makes it seem not so long ago, but as far as all of history goes it really wasn't all that long ago at all.

dugong
07-15-2007, 10:11 PM
That first image is great at many levels. I think I might use it as inspiration for a drawing or painting. My mind is racing . . .

As for the poster who made the comment about why soldier can't seem to handle the experience of combat now, well, . . . with no offense intended, get a clue.

ImMoreBetter
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by csThor:
If you ask me the machine gun crew pic is a fake. That "hole" looks a lot bigger than just for two folks. And the illumination of the two men does not match the one of the stuff around them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lighting is off because the photo was not taken in color. It was colored afterward. Nearly every "color" photo of WWI is similar. You have to remember it was almost 100 years ago. I'm sure a quality color camera was expensive.

ytareh
07-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Slo123 Interesting pics ...colour always makes them seem more life like....
Waldo.....Those pics are unreal and should be compulsory viewing for ....well most people (over 18)especially anybody who forgets as a lot of us (certainly me ) do so easily the true butchers bill of war.....What a tiny fraction of the horrific deformities this must have been .Of course life is precious and many would sooner a loved one returned from war injured than not at all but dear God so many of these poor unfortunates would surely have preferred death.I think these pictures would be unbearable in colour...

Friendly_flyer
07-16-2007, 03:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bewolf:
Who says that those ppl werent messed up as well? Darn, I really can't remember the scientific term for it right now. "battle fatigue" was what it once was labelled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Shell-shock" was the contemporary term, unless you where an airman, then it was "neuralgia". Today the term generally is "post traumatic stress disorder", though "Vietnam syndrome" is used a lot too.

When I went to school (30 years ago), we learned quite a few pacifist songs. Only many years later did I realise they where about the Great War. 2nd World War was hard on civilians, but the soldiers generally got of lightly compared to the former conflict. Ivo Jima was known as the "Verdun of the Pacific", suggesting that Verdun may have been quite a bit worse.

Hawgdog
07-16-2007, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PMCI1964:
I believe modern soldiers would ask more questions than thier 1914-18 counterparts , and rightley so.
We cannot compare modern fighting men to that of 1914-18 //I believe it is an error to dought the moral or physicial courage of modern fighting men.Also with the change in class structure the public would not accept such a price in lives for so little gain.Just some thoughts from a 25 year sevice ex infantry man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well said.
Thanks for your service.

mrsiCkstar
07-16-2007, 06:15 AM
thanks for sharing your PDF document Waldo... I found it weird how surprisingly calm all those people looked in the pictures.

Blutarski2004
07-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Here's one detail which hints the JUST MAYBE the German MG team photo is a fake. The ammunition can is nicely situated right in the muddy water, where the fabric belt and the cartridges can be soaked and coated with slime and grit.

Oh ,yes - one other item. That's a full-boogie water-cooled MG 08 on a sledge mount. There is no way on God's earth that those two soldiers alone could physically move it. The gun crew to handle that weapon and its ammunition was usually about a dozen men.

LEBillfish
07-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Nice find http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FliegerAas
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
horrible

BaronUnderpants
07-16-2007, 03:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blutarski2004:
Here's one detail which hints the JUST MAYBE the German MG team photo is a fake. The ammunition can is nicely situated right in the muddy water, where the fabric belt and the cartridges can be soaked and coated with slime and grit.

Oh ,yes - one other item. That's a full-boogie water-cooled MG 08 on a sledge mount. There is no way on God's earth that those two soldiers alone could physically move it. The gun crew to handle that weapon and its ammunition was usually about a dozen men. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember that the pics is colloured afterwards...meaning the artist had to "guess! what collours to use. I think, as someone allredy posted, that the waterfilled pit is a few meters to the right of them and they are infact standing in another trench with a fixed mg...looks to me like what the mg is standing on is concrete, or more likely, wood of some sort ( very flat and even...one of the soldiers is leaning on it with his elbow ) Another clue is where he is leaning...that spot doesnt look the same as the water, no reflections..hence, not water...or atleast not the same water as in the background.

HellToupee
07-16-2007, 06:42 PM
imo this image tells the best story

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Passchendaele_aerial_view.jpg

Haigotron
07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
seeing these photos in color, even though it was post processed, gives ww1 another dimension...

thanks for the photo helltoupee, that is really incredible!!! :O

Hawgdog
07-17-2007, 06:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I found it weird how surprisingly calm all those people looked in the pictures. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I went back and wondered about that.
Cant imagine how many months it would take me to acclimate to the mud, blood and smell like it was my back yard.

slo_1_2_3
07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I stumbled across some more
http://www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com/

avimimus
07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
The scary thing is that the Russians are being replaced by younger, forgetful generations.

IMHO, the Russian memory of WWII is the only thing that saved us durign the cold war. If they had been as trigger happy as some of us North Americans...