PDA

View Full Version : Where will the Buffalo roam? Pensacola!

VonKlugermon
12-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Just got the latest edition of Air and Space Magazine. It's got a picture and brief article on a Brewster Buffalo that the Navy just acquired for restoration. It seems that it crashed in a lake in the Karelya region (June, 1942), was removed from that lake in 1998, and has been changing hands since then, until now.

From the article:

"After 56 years under water and six more on the run, the world's only Brewster fighter came back to the U.S. Navy last August. Allied pilots considered the Buffalo a slug, but the Finns used the roly-poly fighter, which they named "Sky Pearl", to great effect against the Russians."

Seems the U.S. Navy traded it's latest owner THREE P-3 Orions for it!

Again from the article:

"The Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida, will reassemble the aircraft and display it in its Finnish air force livery, including the hakaristi that many people will take for a Nazi swastika. In fact, the bent-leg cross was a good-luck symbol used by many cultures."

Look forward to seeing this one completed! Pensacola isn't to far from here!

Willy

VonKlugermon
12-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Just got the latest edition of Air and Space Magazine. It's got a picture and brief article on a Brewster Buffalo that the Navy just acquired for restoration. It seems that it crashed in a lake in the Karelya region (June, 1942), was removed from that lake in 1998, and has been changing hands since then, until now.

From the article:

"After 56 years under water and six more on the run, the world's only Brewster fighter came back to the U.S. Navy last August. Allied pilots considered the Buffalo a slug, but the Finns used the roly-poly fighter, which they named "Sky Pearl", to great effect against the Russians."

Again from the article:

"The Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida, will reassemble the aircraft and display it in its Finnish air force livery, including the hakaristi that many people will take for a Nazi swastika. In fact, the bent-leg cross was a good-luck symbol used by many cultures."

Willy

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Can't wait to see it. I'm going to have to make a special trip. That museum is terrific. They have some of the most interesting aircraft there, very well restored. I wonder how long it will take before the Buffalo is complete. Probably several years I would think http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

JR_Greenhorn
12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Again from the article:
"The Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida, will reassemble the aircraft and display it in its Finnish air force livery, including the hakaristi that many people will take for a Nazi swastika. In fact, the bent-leg cross was a good-luck symbol used by many cultures." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's great news right there! I know there was some commotion about the little plane's livery a while back around here, but it's good to see they made the right choice.

If the casual Naval aviation enthusiast takes the slightest notice at a Finnish-marked plane in a US museum, I would hope that person would that day learn something about a "Forgotten Battle." I don't think the chances of that happening are much at all were the plane to wear incorrect USN livery.

triggerhappyfin
12-07-2004, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VonKlugermon:

From the article:

Again from the article:

Willy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_RED">"Sky Pearl", </span> never heard of that name but my grandad used to call it "pyllyvaltteri", "the butt walther" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

LilHorse
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
"Restored"? As in flyable? Maybe that's just too much to hope for. I guess it's enough that it should be restored to static display quality. I don't suppose the U.S. Navy is in the business of restoring planes to flyable condition. But is sure would be cool if they did.

VonKlugermon
12-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Most likely restored to static not flyable condition would be my bet as well. It looks in remarkable shape for being underwater all those years. (the article says that even the tires, manufactured by Nokia, were still inflated when it was pulled from the lake!) I don't know how the Finns marked their aircraft, but "BW-372" is clearly readable on the side and the hakaristi are visible. It also looks like it has the same camo as the one in TriggerHappyFinn's sig.

Willy