PDA

View Full Version : Installation Issues: Disc #2: Can't read? Install fails part way? In here!

maztec
10-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Is your DVD drive having problems with DVD Disc #2? Then you have came to the right place.

This is one of the most common problems with Myst IV Revelation. There are several potential causes:

1) Make sure you haven't placed any new fingerprints (or dirt) on DVD #2, if so wash gently with warm non-abrasive soapy water and dry with a soft lint-free cloth. Be careful, you wouldn't want to scratch your shiny disk!

2) You may have software running that is causing some form of installation conflict? Make sure you disable any programs that are running in the background. Also turn off any adware, spyware, or viruses you may have. Feel free to turn them back on after installation -- if you so desire.

3) Disc 2 is a Dual Layer Data Disc it has been found that more than a few DVD drives, both new and old, have problems reading Dual Layer discs. In order to fix this you have two options. The first is to perform a firmware upgrade on your drive -- as detailed below. The second is to buy a new DVD drive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. There may be a few other options out there, but those are the two most common.

The following is a List of drives with known issues regarding Disc #2:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 <firmware upgrade fixes, has Virtual Drive detected error after installation>
<LI> Compaq DVD-ROM SD-616T
<LI> DG Electronics GDR8162B
<LI> Dynex DVD-ROM (new)
<LI> Liteon LTD163
<LI> NEC DVD (Dell 8200 Factory Install)
<LI> NEC DV-5700A (DVD Reader Only) (Dell Dimension XPS B1000 11/2000 purchase date)
<LI> NEC DV-5800A
<LI> Philips DVD+RW-D01 v1.41 (Purchased Aug 2002, Dell 8200)
<LI> Pioneer DVD-115R
<LI> Pioneer DVD-116A <confirmed fixed by firmware upgrade>
<LI> Plextor PX-708A
<LI> Samsung CDRW/DVD SM308B Combo Drive
<LI> Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer
<LI> Toshiba SD-M1612[/list]

If you have one of those drives and a firmware upgrade fixes the issue, please post A) a link to the firmware upgrade, B) the version of the firmware that fixes it, and C) That it fixed it :P.

If you have one of the drives mentioned above and you can't find a firmware upgrade A) Let us know, B) Let us know what firmware version you currently have (if known), C) Contact the manufacturer for that drive and let them know what your problem is, and D) see solution #2 above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

If you have a drive that is not mentioned above and you are experiencing this problem please do the following: A) Describe your problem, B) Let us know what Make/Model your computer is, C) Let us know what Make/Model/Firmware version(if known) your DVD drive is, and D) If the issue is fixed or not fixed by a firmware upgrade let us know that too, along with the relevant issue from the above.

Finally, if your drive is already listed in the above and a firmware upgrade is known to fix it, please try that before anything else. If you continue to have new problems start a new thread.

If your drive is listed above and there is no known firmware upgrade, check to see if the manufacturer of the drive or your PCs manufacturer has a firmware upgrade available. If they do, try it, if it works let us know. If it doesn't, let us know so we can run a tally of who is having problems.

..... Volunteer Public Service Message Located Yonder .....

Now for my sanity, Please remember that the people here that help you are volunteers. They do not work for UbiSoft, they are unpaid, they do this because they wish to help you. If you want to scream, cuss, shout, and complain angrily please take a deep breath and explain your problems in a kind civil manner. Or contact Ubi as detailed HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=6651093922). But please try and be nice to them also, they are people to. And if you really can't contain yourself long enough to send a message directly to Ubi, thus insisting on attacking them, me, or any of the volunteers, or heck anyone -- then place it over here in THIS THREAD (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=8491034432). Where it will more than likely be editted to make it acceptable for reading by the general public. If it's unrecoverable, it will be deleted. We understand your frustration, some of us have experienced it ourselves, but we are volunteers. Did I mention that complaining directly to Ubi is more effective than complaining here? Not to discourage complaints, you're more than welcome to make them and if a moderator finds it well reasoned and reasonably well written they will be sure to pass it on to one of their supervisors (who are Ubi employees). You are more than welcome to gripe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Now that we're through that, feel free to enjoy this thread.

Maztec

PS: I assume you noticed that the last paragraph or so there is a repeat from my other messages on this same topic. That's not an excuse not to read it, rather it means read it and if you forgot what it says, read it again :P.

maztec
10-25-2004, 06:35 PM
Is your DVD drive having problems with DVD Disc #2? Then you have came to the right place.

This is one of the most common problems with Myst IV Revelation. There are several potential causes:

1) Make sure you haven't placed any new fingerprints (or dirt) on DVD #2, if so wash gently with warm non-abrasive soapy water and dry with a soft lint-free cloth. Be careful, you wouldn't want to scratch your shiny disk!

2) You may have software running that is causing some form of installation conflict? Make sure you disable any programs that are running in the background. Also turn off any adware, spyware, or viruses you may have. Feel free to turn them back on after installation -- if you so desire.

3) Disc 2 is a Dual Layer Data Disc it has been found that more than a few DVD drives, both new and old, have problems reading Dual Layer discs. In order to fix this you have two options. The first is to perform a firmware upgrade on your drive -- as detailed below. The second is to buy a new DVD drive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. There may be a few other options out there, but those are the two most common.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 &lt;firmware upgrade fixes, has Virtual Drive detected error after installation&gt;
<LI> Compaq DVD-ROM SD-616T
<LI> DG Electronics GDR8162B
<LI> Dynex DVD-ROM (new)
<LI> Liteon LTD163
<LI> NEC DVD (Dell 8200 Factory Install)
<LI> NEC DV-5700A (DVD Reader Only) (Dell Dimension XPS B1000 11/2000 purchase date)
<LI> NEC DV-5800A
<LI> Philips DVD+RW-D01 v1.41 (Purchased Aug 2002, Dell 8200)
<LI> Pioneer DVD-115R
<LI> Pioneer DVD-116A &lt;confirmed fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
<LI> Plextor PX-708A
<LI> Samsung CDRW/DVD SM308B Combo Drive
<LI> Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer
<LI> Toshiba SD-M1612[/list]

If you have one of those drives and a firmware upgrade fixes the issue, please post A) a link to the firmware upgrade, B) the version of the firmware that fixes it, and C) That it fixed it :P.

If you have one of the drives mentioned above and you can't find a firmware upgrade A) Let us know, B) Let us know what firmware version you currently have (if known), C) Contact the manufacturer for that drive and let them know what your problem is, and D) see solution #2 above http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

If you have a drive that is not mentioned above and you are experiencing this problem please do the following: A) Describe your problem, B) Let us know what Make/Model your computer is, C) Let us know what Make/Model/Firmware version(if known) your DVD drive is, and D) If the issue is fixed or not fixed by a firmware upgrade let us know that too, along with the relevant issue from the above.

Finally, if your drive is already listed in the above and a firmware upgrade is known to fix it, please try that before anything else. If you continue to have new problems start a new thread.

If your drive is listed above and there is no known firmware upgrade, check to see if the manufacturer of the drive or your PCs manufacturer has a firmware upgrade available. If they do, try it, if it works let us know. If it doesn't, let us know so we can run a tally of who is having problems.

..... Volunteer Public Service Message Located Yonder .....

Now for my sanity, Please remember that the people here that help you are volunteers. They do not work for UbiSoft, they are unpaid, they do this because they wish to help you. If you want to scream, cuss, shout, and complain angrily please take a deep breath and explain your problems in a kind civil manner. Or contact Ubi as detailed HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=6651093922). But please try and be nice to them also, they are people to. And if you really can't contain yourself long enough to send a message directly to Ubi, thus insisting on attacking them, me, or any of the volunteers, or heck anyone -- then place it over here in THIS THREAD (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=8491034432). Where it will more than likely be editted to make it acceptable for reading by the general public. If it's unrecoverable, it will be deleted. We understand your frustration, some of us have experienced it ourselves, but we are volunteers. Did I mention that complaining directly to Ubi is more effective than complaining here? Not to discourage complaints, you're more than welcome to make them and if a moderator finds it well reasoned and reasonably well written they will be sure to pass it on to one of their supervisors (who are Ubi employees). You are more than welcome to gripe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Now that we're through that, feel free to enjoy this thread.

Maztec

PS: I assume you noticed that the last paragraph or so there is a repeat from my other messages on this same topic. That's not an excuse not to read it, rather it means read it and if you forgot what it says, read it again :P.

hani5
11-01-2004, 11:58 PM
I've got another drive that can't be read - It's a GDR8161B, made by LG and OEM by HP. It's up to the latest firmware level from HP and it reads each disk once and then won't read it again.

maztec
11-02-2004, 02:51 AM
What do you mean by it will read the drive once, but not again?

You imply that it can completely read the disc, but after doing that ceases to be able to do so?

And LG drives are known to have quite a few issues. It's a miracle they even work.

I've googled quite a few of these and have found a ton of sites that reference all types of problems with the LG drives...

Not to use that as any sort of excuse, they just seem to have issues.

Sounds like your computer is from HP? I'd call HP and complain. See if that gets you anywhere.

The only real fix is either getting a new DVD drive... or finding a newer firmware that "might" fix the issue for you.

So you have the 0046 (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL4271/pv-13993-1/SP23952.exe) firmware for that drive?

Maz

hani5
11-02-2004, 07:18 AM
It really will read once, then never again. I bought the software, took it home, installed it. Disc 2 wouldn't read at first, but I took it out, put it back in, and it worked. Installation went ok (full install). I then shut it down and walked away for a couple of days. Came back. Disc 2 does not read. I thought it was a faulty disk, so I took it back to the store and got a new copy. Put disc 2 in there, played the game for an hour or so (great graphics - I was very impressed). Came back the next day and I had the same problem - I put the DVD in and the drive/OS does not recognize that there is a disc in there. Put the disc in my mac - all ok. Back in the PC - nothing.

The firmware is up to the latest version, 0406. I think it's as much or more Ubi's fault as HP's , and while I could complain to HP, they'd ignore me. Ubi will also ignore me, I'm guessing.

hani5
11-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Correction, the firmware version is 0046 (from HP).

maztec
11-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Actually Ubi is taking these DVD related issues very seriously. But there isn't a lot they can do about it. Go ahead and send a note to them.

The issue is actually with the drives. I've seen a few people who have called Dell and talked with them about it, shown them the problem, get a new drive from Dell as recompense -- and it fixed the issue.

There's not much Ubi can do about what amounts to an error in the way the drive itself is reading the disk.

Now, in your particular case, your problem is a lot stranger. I'd even go so far as to figure it's something weird windows is doing. I recommend you send UbiSoft tech support a note, detailing your issue, and if they don't respond by Friday, let me know via a private message.

Also, if you haven't, grab ye-old safedisc fix mentioned elsewhere in one of these here stickies, yarrr!

Hmm. Oh, hani5, do you have it still installed? Is your issue simply with starting running the game? Check your private topics, let me know if that helps...

Maz

Link_Wizard
11-05-2004, 03:08 AM
I also experienced the most amazing (and unsettling) installation procedure on my Dell Dimension 8200 with a Samsung DVD SD-616 + WIndows XP :

- First - installation crashed due to "double use" of a file - the installation was aborted & fully reverted. I figured this could be due to corruption with Uru (previously installed) or my virusscan so uninstalled Uru + disabled virus scan & restarted Install

- Then - First DVD installed well & was asked to insert 2nd DVD - which was accepted at first. Then - after 5 mins or so - got the famous message "Wrong volume in the drive - please insert volume Myst4_1 into Drive D:" - I tried to re-insert the first DVD but computer fully crashed (Had to do cold reboot !). Probably worst nightmare as no trace of my installation in the registries.

- Lastly, restarted the installation procedure - luckily it appeared to recover from the first installation and after 1 min already asked me to insert "Disk 3" (sic!) which I interpreted as DVD 2 ... which brought me to the end of the installation hassle.

Surely, after the technical mishaps & frustrations of UruLive, Ubi and Cyan worlds should be more careful in testing the compliance of their software with as much hardware as possible - on my (brand new) DVD package there is not even a disclaimer on DVD drive compliance so I am afraid there is no excuse to this from their side.

FOrtunately, the first minutes of gameplay made up for a lot of frustrations, but I hate to play a game thinking it may crash any minute...

L_W

----

PS Btw Maz - thanks for this site which provides me with confidence that any crash I will encounter - will hopefully be addressed here ! :-) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dynacia
11-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi:

I too am having problems after install. I've tried both full and min. install and both are the same.

I bought a dvd player just to play this game. It's a RetailPlus. I'm brand new to dvd, so firmware and all has lost me totally.

But I install disk 1 then disk 2. No problems. Then insert disk 2 and the option window comes up and click on play. Then the next window/book with the hand pointer on it. And that's it. My mouse can't click anywhere, and the hand doesn't move. So sit and wait then it wants me to insert the proper cd in the drive. But the drive won't read the disk (neither 1 or 2).
And when I double click on my computer the DVD drive is non existant. And have to reboot in order to get the DVD back.
I've tried a different dvd in the drive, and it works just fine. So it's the game.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

dynacia

maztec
11-07-2004, 01:32 PM
dynacia, see the post there: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=5971078732

Link_Wizard: You still having problems or did we get you figured out? If you finally got it installed, I suspect you probably won't just crash any minute :P. The crashes seem to be fairly reliable.

Maz

dynacia
11-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi again: Sorry forgot to tell you.
The firmware I have is 3.10. A GeForce FX 5200 series video card. And fill all the game requirements.

Thanks again

dynacia

Alahmnat
11-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Quick note... following a lovely hard drive crash, I went out and picked up a DVD-RW drive from LiteOn... model number SOHW-832S, and have encountered the "wrong volume" error both before and after upgrading the firmware to the version provided on the manufacturer's website (DR8VS0E) released on 10/24/04. I'm intrigued by this fact, since this drive is theoretically capable of burning a dual-layer DVD... one would think it could *read* a dual-layered DVD as well.

The only other variable that's changed since the crash is I installed SP2 (I know, not the brightest idea in the world, but I couldn't get SP1 anymore and I re-installed Windows to clean it up because it was getting ratty around the edges).

I'm going to try and put my old DVD-ROM drive back in and see if that solves the problem... if not, I'm going to have to go beat up some people in Redmond. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

99f15c6d89ed43f53de143a989465399
11-07-2004, 04:52 PM
As I posted on the Disc 1 failure page, I was able to install disc 1 when I DID NOT have the firmware upgrade in place, when I did then disc 1 locked the machine. So now, disc 2 is the problem with a TEAC DVW58E on a &lt; 1 yr Dell XPS.

Waiting for a fix, want to play!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Susan

dynacia
11-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Thank you maztec. The game seems to work fine now.

Thanks for your time.

dynacia

Alahmnat
11-11-2004, 04:57 AM
UPDATE!!!

My DVD-RW drive apparently *does* read the DVD correctly... I had to re-install Windows tonight and decided to try installing Revelation before downloading XP Service Pack 2...

It worked. I will now go give somebody in Redmond a piece of my mind.

Link_Wizard
11-12-2004, 04:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:

Link_Wizard: You still having problems or did we get you figured out? If you finally got it installed, I suspect you probably won't just crash any minute :P. The crashes seem to be fairly reliable.

Maz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Maz,

I have been playing the game bugfree until now and I am very happy with its progress :-) You're probably right that the bugs are consistent http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif !
I have also avoided to install the famous patch - using the PrtScrn button instead is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Alahmnat : I agree with you installing SP2 does not exactly improve system stability... I actually removed the SP2 patch after one week (through XP recovery !) as so many things failed to work... Does Myst work fine for you now ?

L_W

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Since the game was released after the release of SP2 the onus falls on Ubisoft to fix the game rather than remove SP2. The removal of SP2 would result in an unsecure machine on the internet leading to further problems.

maztec
11-12-2004, 09:34 PM
SP2 adds no significant security to your system. Instead it provides a false sense of security that is utterly failed when put into practice.

OneofDex
11-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Is that a professional opinion or a prejudicial abuse of your power as moderator ?

maztec
11-13-2004, 03:31 AM
Professional opinion, in light of the fact that one of my specialties is systems security.

How stating my opinion is abuse of my power as a moderator. . Now that's a scary question.

Maz

OneofDex
11-13-2004, 07:27 AM
In previous forum posts members have been chastised for posting misinformation about Ubisoft and Cyan Worlds (even though the misinformation does seem appropriate). It seems that your opinion of SP2 is not considered misinformation because you are a moderator and does seem prejudicial against Microsoft. Hence the abuse of your position as moderator.

maztec
11-13-2004, 01:24 PM
As a moderator I'm allowed to post my own personal opinion.

And As a Moderator. I am telling you now to leave this subject tract before I use my position as a Moderator. You're wasting space in this thread and if it continues I will delete both your and my posts in response from this thread.

That's your warning.

Maztec

PS: As an IT professional, it's not disinformation about SP2 - go do some research before chewing on your foot.

OneofDex
11-13-2004, 09:52 PM
I have done the research, SP2 performs the functions for which it was designed. And my point was actually about the chronological order of software releases and that "Myst IV Revelation" should function with SP2.

maztec
11-14-2004, 02:47 AM
Valid point. One I agree with. Minus it's hard to always prepare for something... And, M4 actually does work with SP2. I haven't seen any actual issues related to SP2. I've just seen a lot of people claiming they have issues related to SP2 only to find they're caused by something else.

*shrug*

OneofDex
11-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Hoorah. I think an intelligent response is always much better than warnings and/or threats. Oh and I don't chew feet.

maztec
11-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Too bad. I hear they taste quite good.

Namarie1
12-17-2004, 12:36 AM
I´ve installed Myst IV yesterday using my (rather old) Samsung SD612-F. Autorun doesn't work, right-click on the drive-icon doesn't work, too. I was only able to install Myst IV from the explorer starting the set-up routine manually. Complete intstall was obviously finished and the game started. I encounter no probems (so far) within the game. But, as posted before, I'have problems accessing the DVD afterwards.

Today a "funny" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif problem occured: DVD 2 was still in the drive when I rebooted my PC (WIN XP SP2) and the logon-screen didn't show up until I took the DVD out of the drive. The drive made sounds that are very similar to those you can hear when you try to play a copy-protected CD in the drive.

Can it be, that UBI had done a bit too well with the copy-protection???

Ralph

citman
12-30-2004, 04:16 PM
To add to the list of failed attempts to install Myst IV, I too have been unable to install the game. My problem, as I know others have experienced, is that once I get to disk 2, I get the following message:

Feature transfer error
Feature: ***IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED***
Component: English Data Files
File: E:commondataenglishdata.m4b
Error: Data error (cyclic redunancy check)

After clicking "OK," another box appears with a Question: "Delete all configuration and saved files?" Although there's the option of answering "yes" or "no," clicking on either causes the installation to end without anything being installed.

My DVD is an NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A and it came with my Dell Dimension 4600 with XP Home edition, purchased in July 2003.

I've read as many of the threads I can on the subject of installation problems. I don't have a virtual drive, Nero 6, et al., and have tried the following (all after making sure no other applications are running and disabling my Norton firewall and antivirus software):

1. I checked for driver and OS updates with no results.

2. I installed the new firmware (v.10GE)from the Dell website which went fine but made no difference in installing Myst IV (I get the same error transfer message noted above).

3. I changed the Secondary IDE channel transfer mode from "dma if available" to "PIO only" but this made no difference.

4. I downloaded the SafeDisc patch from ubi.com. However, I don't even know if it's installed since after clicking on the .exe file on my desktop and then clicking on "unzip," , I was told I had successfully unzipped 3 files but I have no idea where they are on my system. Even when I tried to unzip the files to a specific folder, I couldn't find the safedisc files in that folder. Somehow I don't believe this will make a difference but if anyone can enlighten me on what else I can do to install the SafeDisc path, I'll give it a try.

5. I've checked the Myst IV DVD's for smudges, scratches or marks but don't see anything. (As it was, the DVD's have been only in their cases except when I've put them in the DVD drive, so I don't think they could have been damaged in my handling of them.)

I still will try to run Check Disk and maybe buy a cleaner for my DVD+RW drive. I am not real sure I know how to disable ASPI despite reading the instructions and I'm reluctant to remove SP2 (partly due to doubts based on other postings as to whether this will do the trick).

Must I buy a new DVD drive just to play this game? I've really enjoyed the previous Myst games -- in fact, they're the only PC games I've gotten really hooked on.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

dstraub
12-31-2004, 06:07 PM
Guess what? Last night I got the same error as 'citman' when trying to do a full install:

Feature transfer error
File: E:commondataenglishdata.m4b
Error: Data error (cyclic redunancy check)

I too have a Dell 4600 with the NEC CD/DVD+RW drive (and a plain CD drive as well), but have XP Pro. It was purchased in September 2003.

I remembered that I've had problems in the past when using both CD drives at the same time, but only when burning CDs and I was never able to pin down the problem. I just don't use the plain drive while burning CDs on the other one. I figured it was some internal IDE signal problem or something.

Anyway, I found that the kids had left a CD in the other drive which I hadn't noticed. So I unloaded all drives and restarted the system (complete power down, power cable unplugged, reset). After uninstalling the minimal install of M4, I was able to do a full install with no problems.

I have not tried using the plain CD drive while running M4 because now that it's working I'd rather play the game.

The only upgrade I installed was the nvidia driver. I did not upgrade the DVD firmware or change any settings.

sayliffe
01-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I will leave it to the moderator to place this post in the correct thread. There are several where it might be placed...

A minimum install went very smoothly for me until the very end when I was prompted to insert "Myst4_1 CD-ROM". I popped out the Disk two and reinserted Disk 1 and it liked that better. I assume thats a volume name failure(rather than a clean installer request to reinsert Disk 1). I purchased a very inexpensive DVD-ROM drive (DHM-1648R) from CompUSA (which is actually oem'd from Artec) to run this game.

When I tried to run the game after the installation, I got a "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart the application" message. I spent some time to try to locate what this would mean, since I had replaced Disk 2 back in the drive. In one of the other threads in this forum, there was a reference to a Microsoft support link which I followed up on. I repost that link here.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3B228985#appliesto

It specifically addressed two problems which I may have been experiencing under Windows XP HE - something called Fast User Switching and the SafeDisc driver fix issue. Those were the only two things I applied. I didn't roll back SP2. I didn't look for firmware updates. I didn't go out and buy a new drive hoping that it would magically work. At least in my case... the game is running and I am going all over the Tomahna landscape. I don't know if other ages are buried deep on the Disk 2 and I have yet to encounter further problems - but for now, these two patches (individually or together) have allowed me to run the game.

Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath r

Scott
Dallas, TX

I post the following snippet from my DxDiag report to show that I do not have a spectacular machine, but I am running Revelation with minimum install just fine.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/5/2005, 16:21:12
Machine name: XXXXXX
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT400-8235
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 234MB used, 383MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4600
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

LizLaplaya
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Re: your reply to Dynacia on 11/7/04- i cannot get the dvd fix from the ubi site. It says page not found. I have a similar situation:
I have installed the game many times with no problems with either disk. I can access disk 2 with a short cut from the disk (but not the icon from the installation). I can get the help files, configurator, etc to run. The game will not start. (I get a message that the game has perfomed an illegal operation and must be shut down).
I have nothing else running.
It did actually work once - after I got a different monitor -but never again!
I have:
Geforce FX 5200 (latest drivers installed)
Samsung DVD rom SD-612 ver .3
Windows 98SE

Is there hope?

BigLils
01-21-2005, 07:56 PM
and yet another partial on disk 2:

I'm getting:
Please insert disk 2 that contains the file
common/data/english/data.m4b (please excuse the forward slashes, as I have no idea how to invert them)
I can find that file w/o the "data.m4b" but it asks for a "path" and rejects my findings. I thought I was computer savvy, and Myst IV has totally humbled me. Hope you can help. You're awesome! And way to handle the attitudes!
thank you!

BigBears2
01-22-2005, 02:57 PM
And Another Failed Attempt
Sony DVD RW DRU500AX firmware 2.1A

Feature transfer error
File: D:\common\data\english\data.m4b
Data error: (cyclic redunancy check)

All files on second disk can be accessed Except all files in the /common extention fail including pdf files. Disk will even bring up the menu screen when put in drive but no access to help or manual.

Disk 1 seems to be single layer and disk 2 seems to be dual layer.

XP Home SP2
P4 3.0Gig Hyper Threaded
80Gig drive
1Gig dual channel memory
SB Audigy
GeForce FX 5900 256Mb DDR
Sony DVD RW DRU500AX

Update: To see if your Dual Layer compatable try and play a movie with Dual Layer on the case. ( "Gladiator" is Dual Layer ) But just because it fails it's not always the case my unit is dual-layer compatable but still fails.

Update: Sony drive was bad after only two years. Replaced it with a Plextor PX-716A and install and play went fine.

Fezworth
01-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Having successfully installed Myst 4 in my computer (an Acer Aspire), I then try to install it in my wifes computer but it won't even recognise there's a disc in the drive when I put in disc 1. It will recognises disc 2 but no point if the game isn't installed. There are no error messages. Is this a case of adding another drive make to the list already made? The computer is an EiSystems laptop fitted with a QSI DVDRW SDW-041.

Parisicaine
01-27-2005, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LizLaplaya:
Re: your reply to Dynacia on 11/7/04- i cannot get the dvd fix from the ubi site. It says page not found. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried getting the fix, too, but it seems to have disappeared from the site. Is there an updated link? Pretty Please???

darkfox2k3
01-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi, I've tried to install Myst 4 and I always get wrong volume windows error when it's on the 2nd dvd

The drive's model ts-h552b and seems to work fine with other games and the pc is a new machine

maztec
01-30-2005, 01:26 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Don't know what to say other than hope the next patch fixes it.. Or google for no dvd crack for myst 4...

citman
01-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Well - I've finally been able to install Myst IV by using a borrowed external DVD drive! Since the external drive is also a RW drive and one of the possible problems with my computer's internal DVD drive (an NEC ND-1100A) is that it's RW capability caused the copy protection feature on the Myst disks to not allow an installation, I'm left with the impression that the likely problem was that my internal DVD drive was not able to read the dual layer data disk, Disk 2. I guess there's no real need for anyone to respond -- unless it helps someone else experiencing the same problem. However, if you have an external DVD drive to borrow, that may be your only solution! I havn't tried playing the game yet . . . I will later (and I'm crossing my fingers)!

rollinsonbill
04-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Hi I'm having same probs as most you guys, disk2 wont load, i've a samsung sd612, I've downloaded 2 patches and when try to install error mess "could not retrieve installation folder" installation aborted!can anyone advise?
P.S ubi not interested!!

rollinsonbill
04-14-2005, 04:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:

&lt;Snip&gt;

_3)_ Disc 2 is a __Dual Layer Data Disc__ it has been found that more than a few DVD drives, both new and old, have problems reading Dual Layer discs. In order to fix this you have two options. The first is to _perform a firmware upgrade_ on your drive -- as detailed below. The second is to _buy a new DVD drive_ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. There may be a few other options out there, but those are the two most common.

&lt;Snip&gt;

Maztec

&lt;Snip&gt; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How do I do a firmware? I have a samsung sd612.

Heimdall_G
04-14-2005, 10:23 AM
There are 3 models of Samsung SD-612: SD-612B, SD-612F, and SD-612S. To update firmware:

1. Determine which model and firmware version you have.
-- a. Click on Start &gt; Settings &gt; Control Panel &gt; System &gt; Device Manager &gt; CD-ROM.
-- b. Or, download and run Samsung's Wininquiry (http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Liveupdate/fwvercheck/fwvercheck.asp) from the Samsung Optical Disk Drive Center (http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/main.asp).

2. Download the proper firmware update file. Make very certain you've got the proper file, since installing the wrong one will probably result in a non-functioning drive!
-- a. To update from a DOS boot, go to the Optical Disk Drive Center's SD-612 firmware download page (http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/LiveUpdate/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?product_code=HDR&language_code=&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&SearchWord=sd-612). Download and unzip the proper file and follow the instructions in the how-to text file or on the download page to install the updated firmware.
-- b. To update directly from Windows, go to the Samsung Global Download Center's SD-612 firmware download page (http://www.samsung.com/download/query.aspx?keyword=SD-612). Download and unzip the proper file and follow the instructions in the how-to text file to install the updated firmware.

MoriktheRogue
04-16-2005, 08:34 PM
I have the NEV DV-5800A, and i have had problems with the 2nd disk. After awhile installing, an error occurs, and reads as follows:
Error Number: 0x80040707
Description: DLL function call crashed: ISRT.WaitOnDialog

I then push ok, and it terminates the install. It asks me if i want to keep saved games, and of course i push no (as i have none)

It then gives me another error message:
The instruction at "0x00408b6f" referenced memory at "0x00408b6f"
The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0xc0000240"

I have installed the firmware, tried it again, and it repeats itself....no go for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

(edit)now i am not sure if i have installed the firmware...it was a zip file and i wasnt sure how to "use" the files that was in it, they were DOS

(edit2)The details for my DVD rom is as follows:
IDE\CDROM_NEC_DV-5800A___________________________1.0A____\5&7208D00&0&0.1.0

The 1.0A, as i understand it from another thread, is the driver version. i think that the 1.0A means its an old version, and i didnt install the driver right. I have downloaded a driver (not sure what version it is) but inside it has 2 applications: NECDV58 and fwld580C. im not sure what to do with the applications, and when i start them up it does something automatically and i dont know what, each one doing something different

the NSCDV58: (in DOS mode)

Firmware Loader for NEC DVD-ROM Drive
-----------------------------------
Make sure there is no disk in the drive.
Press any key to continue.
(i then press space and it does something and closes)

the fwld580C: (DOS mode)
Just opens the DOS up for a second and closes

Heimdall_G
04-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Note that CD and DVD firmware update software, particularly for older drives, often requires running from a pure DOS boot to work properly. So, run the update software you've downloaded after rebooting into DOS from a Win 98 start disk or a DOS 7.1 or earlier boot disk.

If you don't have either disk and you're running Win XP, try running the update software from a Win XP command prompt.
-- a. Click on Start &gt; Run.
-- b. In the Open: box, type command.com
-- c. Click on OK.

This should open a command prompt window.

You can also try creating an MS-DOS startup disk in Microsoft Windows XP:
-- a. With a blank disk in the floppy disk drive, click on Start &gt; My Computer.
-- b. Right€"click on the floppy disk drive, then click on Format.
-- c. Click on Create an MS€"DOS startup disk, then click on Start.

Copy the firmware update files to the floppy, then reboot from it.

There's also the possibility that the software you've downloaded is the problem. Download NEC DV-5800A (16X/40X) DVD-ROM Firmware 1.92 (http://cd-rom.free-driver-download.com/NEC/14397/NEC-DV-5800A-16X-40X-DVD-ROM-Firmware-1.92.html). Unzip the download and refer to readme.txt for cautions and installation instructions. You can start the update by running either Autoexec.bat or DV5800.exe.

Heimdall

citman
04-17-2005, 01:26 PM
To all those having the same problem as me: after many hours and suggested solutions, all to no avail, I was able to finally install Myst IV with a very simple solution -- borrowing a friend's external DVD drive, plugging it into my USP port, and putting in the disc. I still don't know if the external DVD drive worked because it reads dual-layered discs and my NEC DVD/R drive did not or the DVD copy-write feature didn't interfere with the external DVD drive's ability to install the game. Regardless, I now can play the game (without the external DVD drive).

MoriktheRogue
04-17-2005, 02:28 PM
I saved the drivers for the dvd drive to a floppy, and restarted my pc with the floppy in. It automatically did its thing and now my driver is updated. I retried installing myst, but the same thing happened. Im thinking that i need a new dvd player, anyone know of a dvd player that works with multilayered dvd's, and works with myst?

rollinsonbill
04-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Re: MORIKTHEROUGE,
After 1 whole week of faffin about I went out this morning and bought a ASUS E616P2 works a treat. Just got to sort out a freeze prob now in Tomahana, Come out of lab go along path Yeesha calls you enter she speaks then nothing,
you can move up and down (to waist height) and all round but you cant click on anything or go out the way you came in. another thing I can't get up is save game! nevermind this game was certainly sent to try us!!!

Heimdall_G
04-19-2005, 03:37 PM
"...a dvd player that works with multilayered dvd's, and works with myst?"

Well, we don't have a "guaranteed to work with" list, but as maztec said in the very first post of this thread:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 &lt;firmware upgrade fixes, has Virtual Drive detected error after installation&gt;
<LI>Compaq DVD-ROM SD-616T
<LI>DG Electronics GDR8162B
<LI>Dynex DVD-ROM (new)
<LI>LG drives in general
<LI>Liteon LTD163
<LI>NEC DVD (Dell 8200 Factory Install)
<LI>NEC DV-5700A (DVD Reader Only) (Dell Dimension XPS B1000 11/2000 purchase date)
<LI>NEC DV-5800A
<LI>Philips DVD+RW-D01 v1.41 (Purchased Aug 2002, Dell 8200)
<LI>Pioneer DVD-115R
<LI>Pioneer DVD-116A &lt;confirmed fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
<LI>Plextor PX-708A
<LI>Samsung CDRW/DVD SM308B Combo Drive
<LI>Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer
<LI>Toshiba SD-M1612
[/list]Seems to me that it might be a good idea NOT to buy one of the above drives. Also, you should read through all 3 pages of this thread.

Solarus313
04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I have a problem. I have PIONEER-115R. I have the firmware download but you have to install it from DOS, which I don't know how to use, and these messages keep coming up because I am supposed to have this other ATAPI1307 thing. The website says the ATAPI thing is for systems before Win95 because systems after think of it as Plug&Play but it also says that you need the DOS that ATAPI1307 gives you. Basically I am entirely lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Heimdall_G
05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Firmware update utilities for older DVD-ROM drives like your DVD-115 are usually 16-bit programs that require unrestricted hardware access. Since the Win XP DOS box unfortunately does not support unrestricted hardware access, these firmware updaters must be run from a DOS boot. This requires preparing a DOS boot diskette containing the utility and supporting files, which is best done with a PC running Win 98. (You can try creating a DOS disk from Win XP, as detailed here (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_create_dos_startup_disk.mspx), but it may or may not work with the firmware update utility.)

Don't try to run the DOS firmware updater for your DVD-115 from a Win XP DOS box. The utility may malfunction and leave you with a dead DVD drive. Essentially the only way to ensure updating your DVD-115's firmware without ending up with a dead drive is to run the updater after booting into DOS. This requires that you have a diskette drive and that your PC's system BIOS is configured to look for a disk in drive A: during bootup.

To create a DOS boot diskette from Windows 98:
-- 1. Insert a blank diskette into the A: drive.
-- 2. Open a Windows Explorer session.
-- 3. Right-click on the A: drive, and select Format.
-- 4. Click on Full format
-- 5. Check the No label, Display summary when finished, and Copy system files boxes.
-- 6. Click on Start.
-- 7. When formatting is complete, check the format results dialog to make sure there are 0 bytes in bad sectors. If the number isn't zero, format a different diskette.

ATAPI307.exe, available here (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4273_128760825,00.html) as 48588atapi307_200012212046561530.exe, contains the DOS driver for your DVD-115 drive. It's a self-extracting archive, so double-click on it to run and expand. The 4 files it contains are:
-- Readme.txt
-- setup.exe
-- Setup.inf
-- Atapi_cd.sys

Readme.txt tells you how to install the driver, but you may not need to do this if you have A115v122.exe.

A115v122.exe, available here (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_4273_128760825,00.html) as 30560683A115v122.exe, contains the Version 1.22 firmware update utility and supporting files for your drive (DVD-115, not DVD-115MB/ME). It's also a self-extracting archive. The 5 files it contains are:
-- Readme.1st
-- Readme.txt
-- Upg5a.exe (update utility)
-- Atpio122.hex (binary firmware code)
-- Atapi_cd.sys (same DOS ASPI driver as contained in ATAPI307.exe)

Readme.txt tells you how to update the drive's firmware. See the 'DVD-115 Firmware Update Procedure for Windows NT' section for detailed instructions. If that doesn't work, see the 'DVD-115 Firmware Update Procedure for Windows 3.1 & DOS' section.

If you don't want to try the above, your best option is to buy a new DVD drive. A new drive will typically have double-layer DVD read capability and a Windows-based firmware update utility (check the prospective drive manufacturer's website). Before you buy, read all 3 pages of this thread, and be certain NOT to buy one of the drives in List of drives with known issues regarding Disc #2.

Heimdall

BigKidWithPC
05-28-2005, 06:22 AM
I have been right through this long, long thread with great interest but growing pessimism. I get the Disk 2 Feature Transer Error: IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED when trying to install Myst 4.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 which came with a Samsung SM-352F CDRW/DVD combo. It's about 6 months old now.

As suggested in several places in this thread, I have updated the firmware for my CDRW/DVD drive, which according to the notes provided by Dell would - among other things - enable the Samsung drive to read Dual Layer DVDs. However, I still get the same installation error. Where next?

Heimdall_G
05-28-2005, 09:59 AM
If it isn't there already, try putting your My Documents folder on the C: drive:
-- a. Use Windows Explorer to find My Documents.
-- b. Right-click on the folder, and select Properties.
-- c. Change the target drive to C:\.

Regarding the version T904 firmware update, what Dell actually says is "Adds Read Support for Recordable Double Layer DVD+R". So, this firmware update doesn't add read support for all types of dual-layer DVD's. And it also means that the SM-352F as shipped was lacking in overall dual-layer DVD read capability, which lack apparently wasn't completely corrected by the firmware upgrade.

At the end of the day, you'll probably be best off buying a new/current model DVD drive and installing it in your other 5.25-inch drive bay for use with Revelation and possibly other software. You can try a DVD-RW as a first pass, but you may well end up with a DVD-ROM drive.

There are known Revelation problems with the following drives:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 &lt;fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
<LI>Compaq SD-616T DVD-ROM
<LI>Dynex DVD-ROM
<LI>Ilsonic DVD Burner
<LI>iMac SuperDrive
<LI>LG GSA-4081B and LG drives in general
<LI>LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161 H (Dell Dimension 8200)
<LI>Lite-On LTD163
<LI>Lite-On DVD+RW SOHW-8225 (HP OEM)
<LI>NEC DVD (Dell Dimension 8200)
<LI>NEC DV-5700A (Dell Dimension XPS B1000, 11/2000 purchase date)
<LI>NEC DV-5800A
<LI>NEC ND-1000A DVD Burner
<LI>NEC ND-3450A (Dell Demension 8400)
<LI>Pioneer DVD-115R
<LI>Pioneer DVD-116A &lt;fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
<LI>Pioneer DVR107d
<LI>Plextor PX-708A
<LI>Ricoh RW5125
<LI>Samsung SM-352F (Dell Dimension 8400)
<LI>Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer (Dell Inspiron 8200)
<LI>Teac DVD+RW DV (W58E Dell Dimension 4600)
<LI>Toshiba SD-M1612[/list]Heimdall

wildm011
06-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Wow!
I just bought a brand new computer - DELL 8400 with a NEC 3530A dual layer DVD drive, and it has the same issue everyone here is talking about - intall hangs up after asking for disk 2. There are no firmware updates available for that drive. any other suggestions?
BW

Heimdall_G
06-06-2005, 10:06 AM
There may be applications or processes running in the background that are interfering with the install. Try using Windows Task Manager to close everything except for Explorer.exe, Ctfmon.exe, and whatever your hardware needs:
-- a. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del once and then click on Task Manager.
-- b. Select the Applications tab.
-- c. Click on the desired application to highlight it.
-- d. Click on the End Task button at the bottom of the tab.
-- e. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary applications and processes are closed. If you aren't sure which background processes or applications can be closed using Task Manager, see AnswersThatWork Task List Programs index (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm). The most common tasks are described, and which ones are essential and which can be safely closed are noted.
-- f. Install Revelation.

See also:
-- Re: Dimension 8400/////NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=100869&query.id=164396#M100869)
-- Re: Nec ND 3530A (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=97598&query.id=164396#M97598)
-- NEC ND-3530A and OEM firmware Overview (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Forum/tm.asp?m=106604) (don't use firmware version 3.23!)
-- How to Install a CD-RW Drive & Various Tips (http://www.the-predator.com/), especially Sections 9 through 15

If you can't resolve your 3530A's dual-layer DVD read problem and the drive is otherwise working properly, install a new/current model DVD-ROM drive for use with Revelation (and maybe other games on DVD). See:
-- DVD-Rom compatible with NEC 3530A (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=99698&query.id=164842#M99698)

Heimdall

BigKidWithPC
06-06-2005, 11:09 AM
It's odd that your NEC 3530 doesn't work. Given the problems I had earlier (see my earlier message) I gave in and purchased a dual layer, multiformat DVD drive which happens to be an NEC ND-3520. This was able to read the dreaded disk 2. In addition to checking out the advice given above, it might be worth finding out the difference between the two NEC drives. Simplistically, one would have thought if the 3520 can read disk 2, a 3530 would be able to.

wildm011
06-07-2005, 06:43 AM
The first link in the four links you provided worked - disabling the DLA on the drive.
I'm impressed that three calls to DELL tech support and one to UBI could not solve my woes, but you did. Thank you very much. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

BW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Heimdall G:
There may be applications or processes running in the background that are interfering with the install. Try using Windows Task Manager to close everything except for Explorer.exe, Ctfmon.exe, and whatever your hardware needs:
-- a. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del once and then click on Task Manager.
-- b. Select the Applications tab.
-- c. Click on the desired application to highlight it.
-- d. Click on the End Task button at the bottom of the tab.
-- e. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary applications and processes are closed. If you aren't sure which background processes or applications can be closed using Task Manager, see AnswersThatWork Task List Programs index (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm). The most common tasks are described, and which ones are essential and which can be safely closed are noted.
-- f. Install Revelation.

See also:
-- Re: Dimension 8400/////NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=100869&query.id=164396#M100869)
-- Re: Nec ND 3530A (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=97598&query.id=164396#M97598)
-- NEC ND-3530A and OEM firmware Overview (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Forum/tm.asp?m=106604) (don't use firmware version 3.23!)
-- How to Install a CD-RW Drive & Various Tips (http://www.the-predator.com/), especially Sections 9 through 15

If you can't resolve your 3530A's dual-layer DVD read problem and the drive is otherwise working properly, install a new/current model DVD-ROM drive for use with Revelation (and maybe other games on DVD). See:
-- DVD-Rom compatible with NEC 3530A (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=99698&query.id=164842#M99698)

Heimdall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sstrande1960
06-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I monkeyed around with this for hours (inluding the driver update and DLA suggestions) before I (think I) discovered the reason everyone's having a problem with this. It's related to a bad pathname in the installation dialog box. When the box comes up for the second disk the path is given as:

E:

whereas it should be

E:\

If you simply add the "\", then insert the disk (don't do it in the reverse order or it will hang), it should work just fine. At least "worked for me", as they say in techsupport.

Shawn

Jahash
06-28-2005, 06:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigLils:
and yet another partial on disk 2:

I'm getting:
Please insert disk 2 that contains the file
common/data/english/data.m4b (please excuse the forward slashes, as I have no idea how to invert them)
I can find that file w/o the "data.m4b" but it asks for a "path" and rejects my findings. I thought I was computer savvy, and Myst IV has totally humbled me. Hope you can help. You're awesome! And way to handle the attitudes!
thank you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i had a problem at that step aswell turns out i was missing the data.m4b file had to copy the one from the itailian language directory... the only problem is the books are all writin in itailian now, maybe somone out there could post the english version of the file so we can copy it into the directory and really start playin

Heimdall_G
06-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Don't you have data.m4b in the &lt;drive&gt;:\common\data\english folder on Disk #2?

Jahash
06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
nope, isn't that what i said

Heimdall_G
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Then that's a defective disk. I'd return it for either a new disk or a refund.

bristol_biker
08-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the help!

I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM308B. I installed the firmware driver for the drive, Version T101. see the following link:
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/LiveUpdate/FWDownload/FWD...H&SearchWord=sm-308b (http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/LiveUpdate/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp?product_code=&amp;language_code=&amp;Search Mode=TOTALSEARCH&amp;SearchWord=sm-308b)

There is also a version checking tool at this address.

I uninstalled the game & re-installed & now it seems to work.

I hope this helps

trudger
08-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm having the same problem lots of other folks have had with installation. Everything goes fine until Disc #2, when I get that well-worn feaure transfer error: IS______STRING_NOT_DEFINED
English Data Files
E:\common\data\english\data.m4b
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I have a Lite-On DVD+RW SOHW-8225 (8X) that came OEM on a Hewlett-Packard machine I bought last December. I've confirmed that this is a dual layer-capable drive.

I've already devoted a lot of time to this problem, but nothing I've tried has worked. I've implemented every suggestion I've come across in an effort to get the game installed, with the following two exceptions:
(1) I haven't purchased another DVD drive (and I'd like to avoid doing so, if possible)
(2) I haven't installed a firmware update on my current drive. I do have the update downloaded and burned to CD but, running true-to-form, HP Tech Support has been unable to tell me how to install it. The HP download page for the update[URL=http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=431078&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-25212-1[/URL] says that once the update is burned to CD and a reboot is done with the CD still in the drive, instructions are supposed to appear to take me through the rest of the install. Well, they don't -- nothing appears at all.

I've written to HP tech support three times about this issue, explaining it in detail each time. Unfortunately, HP is notorious for not reading messages fully before responding, so I wasn't surprised when the first reply I got said not to worry about not seeing instructions and to just install the update anyway. (Yeah? How am I supposed to do that without instructions?) The second said to just wait for the installation to complete, remove the CD, and reboot. (Give me strength...) My third email elicited a reply saying that "additional research" would be necessary -- so maybe someone finally read my whole message and actually understood it. But that was close to three days ago, and I'm still waiting to hear something. (You'd think I was asking them to explain the Theory of Everything or something...sigh.)

Anyway, I've chewed my way through this message board looking for answers, and I thought I'd post here just in case I've either missed something, or something new has been discovered regarding this problem.

If HP ever provides any assistance in getting my firmware update installed, I'll probably be posting here again with either a "yippee" or "grrrrrrrr." If HP blows me off, I'll probably just sit here and cry all over my DVDs. (That's a feeble attempt at humor.)

BTW, although I'm not sure whether all versions of the game are packaged this way, my software came in a two-part DVD keep case. In a large stroke of irony, when I tried to remove DVD #1, the case broke. So if there were ever a possibility that I might be able to return the game, it's gone now. Waaaaah.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that the real name of this game is Murphy's Law. (That's a feeble attempt at humor. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) I've played the Myst IV demo, and I thought it was wonderful. I'd really, really like to play the full version sometime. I keep having this mental image of the discs self-destructing after a certain period of time, just like the tapes did in the Mission Impossible TV series (yep...a feeble attempt at humor... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) Thanks, everyone!

Heimdall_G
08-23-2005, 02:59 PM
"...once the update is burned to CD and a reboot is done with the CD still in the drive, instructions are supposed to appear to take me through the rest of the install."

Yeah, right. Assuming it's a bootable CD, did those wonderful HP Tech Support folks tell you that you'll need to access your system BIOS and set the CD drive to be the first boot device?

trudger
08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Actually, HP didn't tell me anything about modifying BIOS, but they did finally give me some instructions that worked, and the firmware update is now installed. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I'm still unable to install the game. It's the same problem with Disk 2 that's plagued me since the beginning.

Okay, here is what I've done so far:
1. Updated DVD drive firmware
2. Made sure I have the latest audio and video card drivers
3. Emptied all temp files
4. Deleted all history files
5. Run CheckDisk and Defrag
6. Closed all background apps
7. Confirmed that Primary and Secondary IDE Channels are set to "DMA if available"
8. Added backslash to "E:" on "insert disk 2" message before clicking OK
9. Installed safedisc.exe (on the off-chance I can ever get the game installed)
10. Attempted the install in safe mode

I have no virtual drives/emulation software installed. I do full system virus scans daily, and run two different spyware checks, using AdAware and Spybot, weekly (I rarely find anything; my computer is so protected it's like Ft. Knox). I've also run them both prior to each attempt to install the game. I have a third spyware program, SpywareBlaster, that blocks many kinds of spyware before it even gets to my HDD.

Here is the full behavior of the game's install program from start to hitting the wall:
1. Disk 1 install goes fine
2. Disk 2 yields:
IS______STRING_NOT_DEFINED
English Data Files
E:\common\data\english\data.m4b
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
3. I click OK on above message
4. I say "yes" to removing all files
5. I remove Disk 2 from drive
6. I get this message:
The wrong volume is in the drive.
Please insert volume Myst4_1 into drive E:.
7. I click "cancel" and the message reappears; I hit "cancel" again, it reappears: I hit "cancel" a third time, and I get...
8. Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close
9. I say OK, then get this message:
There is no disk in the drive.
Please insert a disk into drive E:.
(Note: At this point, Setup no longer appears in Task Manager)
10. I hit "cancel" and message reappears; I hit "cancel" again, it reappears: I hit "cancel" a third time, and I get this again...
11. Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close (Setup still does not appear in Task Mgr.)
12. I say OK, and get another three instances of:
There is no disk in the drive.
Please insert a disk into drive E:.
13. After canceling this message the third time, I get no further messages. Whew. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I bought my computer at the end of Dec. 2004. Here are some specs:
HP Pavilion a730n
Windows XP SP2
3 GHz Pentium 4
200 GB hard drive (appx. three-quarters empty)
512 MB RAM
Lite-On DVD+RW SOHW-8225 with firmware VPPE
Geforce 6600 256 MB DDR PCI Express with driver 7.1.8.9

I realize that there are some computers that Myst IV will never successfully install on, and I've resigned myself to the fact that mine may be one of them. As I mentioned in my first post, I haven't yet bought a different DVD drive and I'd rather avoid doing so, as I've read posts from folks who have and the game still won't install. Also, I'm not sure how far I want to go in altering my system's configuration, because the last thing I need is a computer that doesn't work properly on top of a game that won't install. I'm no techie, and when it comes to a lot of this stuff, I'm just groping along in the dark.

That having been said, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Heimdall_G
08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Suggestions:

1. Make certain that your DVD's are absolutely clean - no smudges or fingerprints anywhere on them. Use warm non-abrasive soapy water and a lint-free cloth for cleaning. If there are any deep scratches, you might be able to successfully use one of the various disc-repair kits available.

2. The laser lenses in your DVD drive can build up a 'haze' coating which may foul up drive read operation, particularly if:
-- You live in a dusty area.
-- There's a smoker in the house.
-- You don't have a vent hood over your stove.
-- You use plug-in oil-dispersing room deodorizers.

Using a DVD laser lens cleaner might help with the data.m4b CRC error. This is essentially a DVD with tiny brushes on it that take the haze off of the lenses. The best ones (especially for smokers, non-hooders, and oilers) come with a cleaning solution used to wet the brushes, but this isn't a strict requirement. Run the cleaning cycle at least 3 times in succession, as a first pass.

3. Revelation *really* wants your \My Documents and \My Documents\myst4-revelation savegames folders to be on C:, in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\myst4-revelation savegames. So, change the location of your \My Documents folder.
-- a. Use Windows Explorer to find \My Documents, on whichever drive it exists.
-- b. If you don't have a \My Documents folder at all, create one with read/write privileges on drive C:, as C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents.
-- c. If you have a \My Documents folder but it's not on drive C:, right-click on the My Documents folder on the Desktop.
----- 1. Select Properties &gt; Target, and change the target drive to C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents.
----- 2. Click on Apply &gt; OK.
-- d. If it doesn't exist, create the sub-folder \myst4-revelation savegames in your C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents folder. You should end up with C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\myst4-revelation savegames
-- e. If it doesn't exist under C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\myst4-revelation savegames, create the sub-sub-folder \journal. You should end up with C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents \myst4-revelation savegames\journal.
-- f. Reboot, and start Revelation.

Alternatively, restore the My Documents folder default location, which should be in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents.
-- a. Right-click on the My Documents folder on the Desktop.
-- b. Select Properties &gt; Target.
-- c. Click on Restore Default &gt; Apply &gt; OK.
-- d. Reboot, and start Revelation.

Make certain you log into Windows with full Administrator privileges when you do any of the above.

4. Do a complete/full Revelation install, from a clean boot and to a User Account with full privileges. First, check to see if you can uninstall Revelation using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs:
-- a. Click on Start &gt; Control Panel, then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
-- b. In the Currently installed programs box, click on the Myst IV - Revelation entry.
-- c. Click on Change (or Change/Remove).
-- d. If prompted to confirm the removal of the program, click Yes.
-- e. Close Control Panel back to the Desktop.
-- f. Use Windows Explorer to remove any remaining Program Files Revelation files and folders. For example, if it exists, delete the folder "\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation" in "C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation".
-- g. Reboot.

Then, do a complete/full Revelation re-install, to a User Account with full privileges:
-- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges.
-- b. Use Windows Explorer to search all drives for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.
-- c. Click Start &gt; Run.
-- d. Type msconfig in the Open box, then click on OK.
-- e. Click on Selective Startup on the General tab.
-- f. Under Selective Startup, clear the check boxes for:
----- 1. Process SYSTEM.INI File
----- 2. Process WIN.INI File
----- 3. Load Startup Items
-- g. On the Services tab, click the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, then click Disable All.
-- h. Click on OK, and then click on Restart.
-- i. Using Start &gt; Run, install Revelation, accepting the defaults for a complete install.
-- j. Restore the settings you changed in steps c. through h.
----- 1. Click Start &gt; Run.
----- 2. Type msconfig in the Open box, then click on OK.
----- 3. Click on Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services on the General tab.
----- 4. Click on OK, and then click on Restart to reboot into normal Windows.
-- k. Play Revelation. If the game doesn't play properly, install the patches.

If you've done the above and still have Revelation install problems, post a DxDiag report so that we can take a look at your system. See To post a DxDiag report in [Posting Guidelines] Help! I'm Having Technical Problems and I Don't Know Why!?! (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=1291074922) for a how-to. Run all of the graphics and sound tests you can before saving the report to a file, and post *all* of the file!

Heimdall
Semper ubi sub ubi

kemiller1976
08-25-2005, 09:43 PM
I've had the IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED error, but on disk 1. It fails shortly after starting with the message:

Component: Win32 Register Online
File: E:\win32\support\register\emea\register\dll\msvbvm 60.dll
Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

This is Windows XP SP2, and a Plextor PX-716A.

I tried copying the contents of the disk over to the hard drive using explorer, and it failed with an I/O error on the exact same file. I updated my drive's firmware but the problem persists.

Since this isn't disk 2, is it an unrelated problem or a defective disk?

trudger
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
This is a response to Heimdall's msg of 08/25/2005. (I'm sorry, kemiller1976, but I'm unable to provide any useful info regarding your problem.)

Heimdall, thanks for your quick reply. I had already done/checked some of the things you've suggested, but I neglected to put them in my first message. Sorry about that (just chalk it up to mushbrain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif).

Anyway...

1. The DVDs are spotless.
2. I cleaned the DVD drive's lens before my first install attempt, and before my first post here, I'd also run the cleaning cycle three additional times in succession, as recommended.
3. \My Documents has always resided on my C: drive.
4. Uninstall and complete/full reinstall does not apply, as I'm unable to install the game in the first place.

I haven't yet tried altering msconfig settings, but I will post again once I've done so. If it doesn't work, I will also post a DxDiag report.

Thank you again for your help!

Heimdall_G
08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
kemiller,

You could have a defective disk, but that's a relatively rare occurrence. Problems are more often associated with dirty or scratched disks, old firmware, etc.

Suggestions:

1. If it wasn't what you did, update your PX-716A's firmware with a download from here (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_downloads.html#firm). Also, read Plextor's Article ID. FW00007 (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/FW00007.htm), Article ID. FW00001 (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/FW00001.htm), and Article ID. G00038 (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/G00038.htm).

2. Check the file size of the msvbvm60.dll you copied to your hard drive - it should be 1,388,544 bytes. If this isn't the case, you've probably got a DVD read problem and should do steps 1 and 2 in my post of Thu August 25 2005 07:53, above. It'd be a good idea to do these steps anyway.

3. Use your anti-virus software to do a complete scans of your hard drive. This is the 'start it and let it crank' type of scan, not the bootup quickie!

Then, do complete spyware and adware scans of the drive. I regularly use, and recommend:
-- Spybot - Search & Destroy (http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/download/index.html)
-- Ad-aware SE Personal Edition (http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/)

Both have free versions!

4. Clear your Internet Explorer caches:
-- a. Close all open applications.
-- b. Open a single Internet Explorer session.
-- c. Click on Tools &gt; Internet Options.
-- d. Click on Delete Cookies &gt; OK.
-- e. Click on Delete Files (check the 'Delete all offline content' box) &gt; OK.
-- f. Click on Clear History &gt; Yes.
-- g. Click on OK to exit.

5. Use Windows Explorer to search your hard drive for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders, and delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use:
-- a. Click on Tools &gt; Find &gt; Files or Folders.
-- b. Type temp or tmp or temporary in the Named: box.
-- c. Click on the arrow at the right end of the Look in: box and then click on the disk drive to be searched.
-- d. Click on Find Now to start the search.
-- e. Click on the temp (or tmp or temporary) folders found to open them.
-- f. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.
-- g. Close Windows Explorer.

6. Check your hard drive for errors. Refer to How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp). Another option is Norton SystemWorks 2005's Disk Doctor (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/basic/).

7. Defragment your hard drive. Refer to How To Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp) and How to Defragment Your Disk Drive Volumes in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848&Product=winxp). Executive Software's Diskeeper 9.0 (http://www.execsoft.com/diskeeper/desktops.asp) is another option.

8. Then, do steps 3 and 4 in my post of Thu August 25 2005 07:53, above. You can try re-installing Revelation from the files copied from the DVD's to your hard drive, but this can give problems. I recommend installing from the DVD's. (For one thing, copying from a DVD or CD to a hard drive leaves the copied files on the hard drive with their attributes set to read-only. This requires using Windows Explorer to reset the R-O attributes.)

rysyd123
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I have given up. I can't get into Disc 2. I am going to purchase either an external DVD drive or an additional internal drive. Can anyone suggest ones that do work? Can this be installed on a laptop?

Heimdall_G
08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
The list of drives that do not work with Revelation is shorter than the list of those that do. See my post of Tue April 19 2005 14:37 on page 3 of this topic for a list of drives known to have problems with Revelation. It may be necessary to install the latest firmware version on the new drive.

Revelation can be installed on a laptop, so long as the laptop has one of the video chipsets supported by the game. The System Requirements on the back of the Revelation slipcase and the Ubisoft Store's Revelation website (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888681632) list the ONLY supported video chipsets:
-- ATI Radeon 7000 to 9800 or better
-- NVIDIA GeForce 1/2/3/4/FX families
-- Matrox Parhelia (PC only)
-- Intel i865G to i915G (PC only)

The latest video driver should be installed before installing Revelation. Uninstall the existing video driver using Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs, reboot, and install the new driver using Start &gt; Run.

trudger
08-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Heimdall,

I was finally able to make the changes to MSConfig that you suggested, in a final attempt to get Myst IV installed. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I've decided not to post a DxDiag because this issue has worn me down and I'm cutting it loose. I've accepted that the money I paid for the game is blown, and that I'll never be able to play Myst IV on my current system. 'Tis the way things happen sometimes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'm not sure what I'll do with my uninstallable software, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Heimdall_G
09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
trudger,

One last thing.

Starting at the HP Support & Drivers page (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html), download and install the latest video driver for your PC. This has been known to solve the IS______STRING_NOT_DEFINED problem.

trudger
09-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Heimdall. I downloaded and installed the latest driver before my first attempt to install the game.

Wetducks
10-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Another DVD that will not work is NEC DVD+RW ND-3450A (Dell Demension 8400) Purchased 11/2004.Have updated the firmware (Dell 4/1/2004) and it does not fix the problem....How about a list of DVD players that will Work!! I don't want to buy a DVD only to find out I still can't play the game.

Heimdall_G
10-20-2005, 09:08 AM
In general:

1. Download and install the most recent firmware for your drive, especially if it's a DVD burner, and reboot. To find a firmware update, go to your PC or drive manufacturer's website. Or, go to CDRinfo's firmware page (http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/Firmware/Home.aspx). Select drive-type &gt; manufacturer &gt; model to find your firmware.

2. Make certain that your DVD's are absolutely clean - no smudges or fingerprints anywhere on them. Use warm non-abrasive soapy water and a non-scratchy, lint-free cloth for cleaning. Always wipe a disc from the center straight out to the edge, or vice-versa, *never* in a circular motion. If there are any deep scratches, you might be able to successfully use one of the various disc-repair kits available.

3. The laser lenses in your DVD drive can build up a 'haze' coating which may foul up drive read operation. Particularly if:
-- You don't have a vent hood over your stove.
-- You use burning candle or plug-in oil-dispersing/scent-dispersing room deodorizers.

Using a DVD laser lens cleaner might help. This is essentially a DVD with tiny brushes on it that take the haze off of the lenses. The best ones (especially for smokers, non-hooders, and oilers/scenters) come with a cleaning solution used to wet the brushes, but this isn't a strict requirement. Run the cleaning cycle at least 3 times in succession, as a first pass.

4. When you're installing from Disc #2, pay special attention to the install path. If the path is given as, for example "E:", it should be "E:\" (without the quotes). So, first add the "\", and *THEN* insert the disc. Inserting the disc first will probably result in a freeze.

5. Additionally, any or all of the following may be necessary to minimize installation problems:
-- a. Install only from original game discs, NOT burned copies!
-- b. Disable all programs intended to allow playing DVD movies from any region (for example, DVD Region Killer).
-- c. Using Device Manager (right-click on My Computer icon &gt; Properties &gt; Hardware &gt; Device Manager), remove all virtual disks installed by CD/DVD burning programs, like Easy CD/DVD Creator. Worst case, you may need to uninstall the burning program and reboot.
-- d. Disable all programs that enable drag-and-drop-file-transfer CD/DVD burning, aka packet writing software (for example, Direct CD, InCD, DLA/Sonic DLA, Instant-Write, Packet CD, Drag to Disc, FileCD, abCD). Worst case, you may need to uninstall the program and reboot.
-- e. Uninstall PlayBackup and Daemon Tools. Reboot.
-- f. If you're overclocking, set everything back to OEM specs.

6. You may need to create a new User Account with all the rights/privileges you can give it, reboot, then install Revelation to the new account. (See How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783) for details.) Do this only if you can't successfully install Revelation to your existing account.

The list of drives that have been reported to have problems with Revelation is much shorter than the list of those that do not. Drives reported to have problems:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Asus DRW-0402P/D Region 2 &lt;fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
<LI>Compaq SD-616T DVD-ROM
<LI>Dynex DVD-ROM
<LI>Ilsonic DVD Burner
<LI>iMac SuperDrive
<LI>LG GSA-4081B and LG drives in general
<LI>LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161 H (Dell Dimension 8200)
<LI>Lite-On LTD163
<LI>Lite-On DVD+RW SOHW-8225 (HP OEM)
<LI>NEC DVD (Dell Dimension 8200)
<LI>NEC DV-5700A (Dell Dimension XPS B1000, 11/2000 purchase date)
<LI>NEC DV-5800A
<LI>NEC ND-1000A DVD Burner
<LI>NEC ND-3450A (Dell Demension 8400)
<LI>Pioneer DVD-115R
<LI>Pioneer DVD-116A &lt;fixed by firmware upgrade&gt;
<LI>Pioneer DVR107d
<LI>Plextor PX-708A
<LI>Ricoh RW5125
<LI>Samsung SM-352F (Dell Dimension 8400)
<LI>Sony DVD+RW 8x Dual Layer (Dell Inspiron 8200)
<LI>Teac DVD+RW DV (W58E Dell Dimension 4600)
<LI>Toshiba SD-M1612[/list]Heimdall

NewfieNewfster
06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Help!!!

My DVD-ROM drive does not read disk 2 at all. I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502.

Can anyone help me find a way I can install and play this game, hopefully with what I already own. Firmware update?

Thanks!

Heimdall_G
06-03-2006, 04:56 PM
What are your PC's manufacturer and exact model number?

NewfieNewfster
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.5 GHz, 256 MB RAM
Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Where do I find the model number?

Thanks!

NewfieNewfster
06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
ohhh... also I checked on Region code issues with certain drives. Here's mine stats:

Region Code 1
This drive has region protection
User: 4 Changes left
Manufacturer: 4 changes left

Heimdall_G
06-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Examples of your PC's manufacturer and exact model number would be Dell Inspiron 8600, Hewlett Packard Pavilion zt3301AP, etc.

NewfieNewfster
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
"IPC Select Series" is what's on the tower. Is there a specific place I should look for exact model number/name (ie: within control panel or on the motherboard itself)?

Heimdall_G
06-05-2006, 07:36 AM
The motherboard's manufacturer and model number won't help in this case, nor will Control Panel. The reason for wanting the PC's manufacturer and model number is that some manufacturers provide firmware updates on their websites for the CD/DVD drives they install. These updates are often better than the generic updates for a given disc drive.

The PC's manufacturer and model number should be on the original papers that came with the PC, or on the sales receipt. Or, there may be a sticker on the back of the machine.

NewfieNewfster
06-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi there... thx for the help. Not sure what the manufacturer name and model number is.... this seems like a no-name kinda deal of a computer. I'll try to find the origional papers (stuffed away somewehre in a box from moving). I'll get back to you on that... but in the meantime what recommendations would you have for firmware for a situation like this that I can research?

Heimdall_G
06-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Suggestions:

1. Be certain that you're allowing sufficient time for your SD-M1502 to spin up to speed, at which point the BUSY light on the drive's front panel will go out. Also, the drive should be jumpered and cabled (connected to end connector on ribbon cable) as master on its IDE channel. For details, see the User Manual (http://sdd.toshiba.com/localcache/8200000029FA00000BDF0000000100000000.pdf).

2. Your Revelation DVD's may need cleaning, which you should do whether they look clean or not! Clean the shiny sides of both using either water-clear (additive-free, which means no witch hazel, etc., and no green or blue color) rubbing alcohol or a warm mild-detergent/water solution. Dry with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth - not paper towels or tissue paper - using a center-outward motion, not circular around the disc. Remove any deep scratches on the discs using one of the repair kits available on-line or at CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, et al.

Also, the laser lenses in a DVD drive can build up a haze coating over time which fouls up drive read operation, particularly if:
-- You don't have a vent hood over your kitchen stove or cooktop.
-- You use burning-candle or plugin (oil-dispersing) room deodorizers.

Using a DVD laser lens cleaning disc can help. This is essentially a DVD with tiny brushes on it that take the haze off of the lenses. The best ones (especially for smokers, non-hooders, and candle burners/oilers) come with a cleaning solution used to wet the brushes, but this isn't a strict requirement. Run the cleaning cycle at least 3 times in succession, as a first pass.

3. Install the following generic firmware updates for your SD-M1502 at your own risk:
-- The Firmware Page (http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=190)
-- toshibaer.com (http://www.toshibaer.com/firmware/index.php?path=SD-M1502/)

If you don't know your SD-M1502's firmware version, you can use Nero's InfoTool to find out.
-- b. Download Infotool.zip (http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Info_Tool.html). If Infotool.zip doesn't unzip automatically when downloading is complete, use WinZip or WinRAR to extract the zipped files to a folder on your hard disk.
-- c. Click on Start &gt; Run and Browse: to the folder in which you saved the extracted files.
-- d. Double-click on InfoTool.exe to put it in the Open: box, then click on OK to run InfoTool.
-- e. Allow the "retrieving information" progress bar to move completely to the right, at which point the InfoTool interface will appear. This may take a couple of minutes, so wait for it.
-- f. Your drive's model number will appear in the top left corner of the interface page. The firmware version will appear in the right-hand column opposite Firmware Version:.

Or, you can use DISCInfo (http://discinfo.rpc1.org/).

Heimdall
Semper ubi sub ubi

aquarius29
06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
I had the same problem with
"Please insert disk 2 that contains the file
common\data\english\data.m4b"

so went to the data folder that had the english file in it, put the destination path in and it was having none of it. Having read what was said on here I assumed that I must have a faulty disk although what kept bugging me was the fact that I had exact same problem with Uru Complete Chronicles, albeit a different file, which I'd also just bought although from a completely different place. What finally dawned on me though is that the destination was simply the D drive because the file was on the disk which was the option that had been given automatically all along. All you needed to do was click on OK which I did and it installed no problem.

ifly4fun1960
12-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I found a workaround for the DATA.m4b error. (the file not loading). I created a folder on my desktop and named it MYST. I loaded Disk 1 in the DVD and right clicked and clicked on Explore. I copied all of the files from both disks and pasted them in the Myst folder on my desktop. Then I ran the load program from that folder. The computer still needs disk 2 in the drive but the program will load and work

Wetducks
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I tried you suggestion today and find it works super. I made a folder for each disc inside the Myst4 folder. Thanks!!

Webhamster
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Hello

I have problems when i install Myst IV on my laptop.

When he ask me to insert Disk 2 during the installation, i insert it, but the program is not responding. I wait 10 minutes ... but nothing ! I can use my computer, but always installation not responding

The DVD 2 is good and i can read it in Explorer.

I have a Toshiba Sattelite M70, with Ma****a UJ841S DVDROM Drive, Windows XP SP2, Intel 915GM Espress Graphic card.

Thanks

FX - http://fx.alterphoto.info

Heimdall_G
01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Take a look at Myst IV: Patch for Please Insert Correct CD Error With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/580100736/m/7241013324). The patch may help.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Heimdall
Semper ubi sub ubi.

melas
05-06-2007, 07:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you have a drive that is not mentioned above and you are experiencing this problem please do the following: A) Describe your problem, B) Let us know what Make/Model your computer is, C) Let us know what Make/Model/Firmware version(if known) your DVD drive is, and D) If the issue is fixed or not fixed by a firmware upgrade let us know that too, along with the relevant issue from the above. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Greetings All,
I'm running Window XP with a Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621 Drive.
When I first tried to install Disk 2 it wouldn't even begin to install and I received this error message.

File Error
The following error occurred on the file 'D:\common\data\video_3.m4b'.
Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (0x17)
After checking this thread, I linked up to Sony Support DVD Drives @ http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/ddu1621_dwn.htm and from there downloaded the Firmware Upgrade 2.72.
That permitted me to make some progress on the 2nd Disk but I still wasn't able to complete the installation.
The following error message occurred about 3/4 through the install.

Feature transfer error
Component: Common Game Video Files
File: D:\common\data\\video_6.m4b
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated, Melas.

Heimdall_G
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Suggestions:

1. Before installing Revelation, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. Then turn off all anti-virus/adware/spyware/pop-up software running in the background, and start the installation. Be very certain that the background software is in fact disabled and that nothing has re-started itself automatically.

2. Use your anti-virus software to do a complete, in-depth scan of your hard disk(s). This is the 'start it and let it crank' type of scan, not the bootup quickie!

3. Do complete, in-depth spyware and adware scans of your hard disk(s). I regularly use and recommend all of:
-- Spybot - Search & Destroy (http://spybot.safer-networking.de/en/download/index.html) - free version available
-- Ad-aware SE (http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/) - free version available
-- Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/) - free scan available
-- PestPatrol (http://www.pestpatrol.com) - free scan available

4. Make certain that the both Revelation DVD's are free of smudges, fingerprints, any sort of haze, etc., that can interfere with your DDU1621's disc reads. Don't just look at the discs and say "yeah, clean". Actually clean them using either water-clear (additive-free, no witch hazel or whatever, no green or blue color) rubbing alcohol or a warm mild detergent solution. Dry with a soft, lint-free cloth using a center-outward motion, NOT circular around the disc. Remove any scratches deep enough to catch a fingernail using one of the repair kits available at CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, from an Internet supplier, et al.

5. Use a DVD laser lens cleaner to clean the lenses in your DDU1621. These lenses can build up a haze coating over time which can interfere with drive read operation, particularly if your PC is in:
-- A dusty area.
-- An area where people smoke.
-- A house that doesn't have a vent hood over the kitchen stove or cooktop.
-- A house where burning-candle or plugin oil-dispersing room deodorizers are used.

A DVD laser lens cleaner is essentially a disc with tiny brushes on it that take the haze off of the lenses. The best ones come with a cleaning solution used to wet the brushes, but this isn't a strict requirement. Run the cleaning cycle at least 3 times in succession, as a first pass.

I use the 3M Scotch Laser Lens Cleaner, but several brands are available. Some are for both CD and DVD drives, some for CD only or DVD only. There are various suppliers, both online and local computer stores. From Amazon, for example:
-- Scotch Laser Lens Cleaner for CD and DVD Players/CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives (http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Cleaner-Players-CD-ROM-DVD-ROM/dp/B00006HZ2Z/sr=1-1/qid=1170003540/ref=sr_1_1/002-4275656-1877606?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
-- Memorex CD/DVD-Player Laser-Lens Cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-CD-DVD-Player-Laser-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00008EM7U)
-- Memorex Laser Lens Cleaner For DVD Only (http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-LASER-LENS-CLEANER-32028015/dp/B0007YZTU0/sr=1-5/qid=1170003801/ref=sr_1_5/002-4275656-1877606?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
-- RCA Discwasher 6-Brush Dry CD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0002ZHG14/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/002-4275656-1877606?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics)
-- GE Laser Lens Cleaner Wet/Dry System (http://www.amazon.com/GE-AV92614-Laser-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00009UH9F/sr=1-8/qid=1170004436/ref=sr_1_8/002-4275656-1877606?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
-- Philips CD/DVD Laser Lens Cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Laser-Lens-Cleaner-Brand/dp/B000LD0O4I/sr=1-17/qid=1170004906/ref=sr_1_17/002-4275656-1877606?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)

melas
05-07-2007, 05:16 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif Greetings Heimdall G, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I want to thank you for your helpful suggestions.

While waiting to hear from someone, I found a SafeDisc driver fix suggestion on one of the other posts.

I ran the driver fix and after re-booting I was able to get the game installed.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to play but I believe that your suggestions will help to rectify that situation.

Thanks again for your help and I will let you know how it goes, Melas.

Heimdall_G
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Try running Revelation using Windows Compatibility Mode. See How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911) or HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533/). Try "Windows 98 / Windows Me" and sub-options first, then the other main options if that doesn't help.

Also, install the Revelation patches, available here (http://www.ubi.com/US/Downloads/Info.aspx?dlId=708). I recommend applying the 1.02 patch and then the 1.03 patch. The 1.02 patch is 41.1 MB, while the 1.03 patch is only 15.4 MB, which may mean there's "good stuff" included in 1.02 that isn't included in 1.03. Apply the patches as follows:
-- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.
-- b. Click on Start &gt; Run.
-- c. Browse to where you saved myst4_v1.00_to_v1.02_pc.exe, and double-click on the file to put it in the Open: box.
-- d. Click on OK to start the install process.
-- e. Follow the Wizard's instructions, and accept the install defaults.
-- f. Reboot when installation is complete.
-- g. Close all open applications.
-- h. Click on Start &gt; Run.
-- i. Browse to where you saved myst4_v1.0_to_v1.03_pc.exe, and double-click on the file to put it in the Open: box.
-- j. Click on OK to start the install process.
-- k. Follow the Wizard's instructions, and accept the install defaults.
-- l. Reboot when installation is complete.
-- m. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.
-- n. Start Revelation.

melas
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif Greetings Heimdall G, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I followed your suggestions and have finally taken a ride with Yeesha into Tomahna.
I really love the games back of the hand cursor.
It reminded me of the hand writing on the wall found @ Daniel 5:5<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> At that moment the fingers of a man's hand came forth and were writing in front of the lamp-stand upon the plaster of the wall of the palace of the king, and the king was beholding the back of the hand that was writing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_BLUE">Pretty Cool!</span>

I'm now looking forward to a wonderful adventure and would like to thank you again for your help, Melas.

Heimdall_G
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM
You're welcome. Enjoy Revelation!

melas
05-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Just for the record, the main problem here turned out to be Fast User Switching.
Somehow that feature had been engaged without my knowledge and once I turned it off all of the problems seemed to be resolved.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

Squee_tracks
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I have the same promblem as everyone else does with disk 2, I get the message "Please insert disk 2 that contains file common/data/english/data.m4b". Has anyone got around this?
I have a dell xps 400, windows 2000. The pc will be 1 years old in December. I have 2 disk drives, one plays the dvd movies, and the other is a Philips dvd+-rw dvd 8701. I have had no problems playing other games and Myst 1, 2 and 3. According to dell, they do not carry this Philips dvd products anymore. I went to the Philips website and they do not have an upgrade for this product. If I am understanding this correctly, in order to play M4, I need to get a better dvd drive?

Heimdall_G
10-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the Forums!

As a first pass, try the following:
-- a. Create a new folder on your Desktop or wherever is convenient on your hard disk.
-- b. Using the drive that plays movies, copy all of the files from both Revelation discs to the new folder.
-- c. Remove the Revelation disc from the drive.
-- d. Click on Start &gt; Run.
-- e. Browse to Setup.exe in the new folder, and double-click on this file to put it in the Open: box.
-- f. Click on OK to start the installation process.
-- g. Follow the installation Wizard's instructions. If you don't accept the install defaults, make very certain to correctly set all of the paths. Double-check your entries for typos!
-- h. Even if you get a "Finished" message from the install Wizard, wait for all hard disk activity to stop - then and only then close the Wizard back to the Desktop.
-- i. Insert Revelation Disc 2 into the movie drive, and allow it to spin up to speed.
-- j. Click on the Desktop icon to start Revelation.

If you can't copy the files from both discs to the new folder using the movie drive, try the Philips drive (and use that drive for Disc 2 when starting Revelation). Also, if Revelation installs properly but won't start with Disc 2 in the movie drive, try starting the game with Disc 2 in the Philips drive.

xiaoniao
02-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Indeed, I'm having the same problems that a lot of people are. I recently bought Myst IV: Revelations for my Windows XP and have tried to install it. Naturally, Disc 1 runs smoothly, but when I get to Disc 2 and it asks me to find 'common\data\english\data.m4b', and I can't find it...you can guess the rest.

So, after reading through the thread here, I'm pretty sure that I need a dual layer drive. I saw the link to cdr-info for firmware installations, and I looked through all of the categories to try and get to the model of DVD drive my computer is using - ASUS CD-S480/A5 - but I can't find it. Hooray...

Is there somewhere else I can go/something else I can do? Or do I need to buy a new DVD drive altogether?

Heimdall_G
02-13-2008, 05:09 PM
You may have other problems in addition to your CD-S480/A5.

Please post a DxDiag report in a new topic (at top of page, click on New tab &gt; Discussion) in this Forum, so that we can take a look at your system. See POSTING GUIDELINES, To post a DxDiag report, in Myst IV: System Requirements and Posting Guidelines (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/580100736/m/8731096885) for a how-to. Run all of the graphics and sound tests you can before saving the report to a file, and post *all* of the file!

If the manufacturer and exact model number of your PC aren't shown under 'System Information' (System Manufacturer and System Model) at the top of the report, also include that information in your post. Or, if you built your system or it was put together locally for you, include the manufacturer and exact model number of your motherboard.

xiaoniao
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry! Problem solved...kind of. Turns out I do need a new DVD drive, which I'm buying after my next pay day. Sorry if I've only caused trouble! My sincere apologies. *Bows in shame*

Liv4bsball
06-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I am having a problem installing Myst 4. It was installed on my computer previously and I then removed it. I tried to install it again recently,but it is saying that it can't find the file common\data\english\data.m4b on the second disc. I updated my DVD-ROM firmware to the latest version, and disabled my virus protection, but it still wouldn't install. It seems strange to me that I was able to install it previously with the same DVD-ROM drive, but now I can't.

My DVD-RFOM drive is an HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L and the firmware version is S853.

Any help would be appreciated since I am trying to install the game so I can play it with my daughter.

wstrohm
06-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Off-topic, maybe, but would like to mention here the DVD drive in my Mac G5, which reads all the Myst games perfectly, in case a change in drive is needed for your system:

SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A:

Firmware Revision: KAS7
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

I realize that a Windows version of firmware/software might be different for the corresponding PC application, but at least the basic drive itself is a keeper.

nanoukmetal
06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
One other easy possibility:

Clean the DVDs and the Laser lens of the drive.

pippypie2010
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
how do I find out what DVD drive I have? I'm having this problem and would also like to know how I can upgrade the firmware.

Heimdall_G
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
You can use Nero's InfoTool to determine your DVD drive's model number and firmware version.
-- b. Download Infotool.zip (http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html). If Infotool.zip doesn't unzip automatically when downloading is complete, use WinZip or WinRar to extract the zipped files to a folder on your hard disk.
-- c. Click on Start > Run and Browse... to the folder in which you saved the extracted files.
-- d. Double-click on InfoTool.exe to put it in the Open: box, then click on OK to run InfoTool.
-- e. Allow the "retrieving information" progress bar to move completely to the right, at which point the InfoTool interface will appear. This may take several minutes, so wait for it.
-- f. Your drive's model number is shown in the box at the top right corner of the interface page. The firmware version is shown on the "Drive" tab under General.

To find a firmware update:
-- a. Go to your PC or disc drive manufacturer's website, and search for disc drive firmware updates.
-- b. Go to CDRinfo's firmware page (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Firmware/Home.aspx) (select drive type > manufacturer > model to find your firmware).
-- c. Search for your drive in the rpc1.org database (http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php).

No matter how you find your firmware update:
-- a. Make very certain that you know *exactly* which drive model drive you have. Installing the wrong firmware on a drive is almost guaranteed to kill it.
-- b. Follow the firmware installation instructions *carefully*. In particular, do NOT run any programs or access the Internet, or shut down your PC, while the firmware update is in progress.

surajpanday95
01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
i have the same problem as said above .... my pc installs data from disk one...bt it dont read disk 2(it dont even read it)
i have ST500LT012-9WS142 UPDATED BT STILL FACING THIS PROBLEM
I M REALY HELPLESS AND FELL LIKE CRYING COZ I PURCHASED IT WITH ALL MY POCKET MONEY..
PLZ PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!:(
:( :( :( :( :( :(

Heimdall_G
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

You have an ST500LT012-9WS142 and it's updated. However, the ST500LT012-9WS142 is a (Seagate) hard drive and certainly can not read DVD/CD discs. You must be confusing your hard drive and your disc drive.

Questions:
-- a. What operating system and version are you running, and have you updated with all available service packs?
-- b. What are the manufacturer and model number of your disc drive, and have you updated its firmware to the latest version? See my post of 01-25-2010, 10:01 AM for details.
-- c. Have you cleaned the shiny sides of both Revelation discs using a mild dishwashing (NOT dishwasher) detergent solution and a soft, lint-free cloth? You can also use water-clear rubbing alcohol, that is, additive-free, no witch hazel or whatever, no green or blue color.

funkymunkysdh
09-18-2015, 02:30 AM
Sorry to be asking about this problem after so long, I'm sure the answer will more than likely be different. I own a drive by ASUS (the BW-12B1ST, to be more specific). I am having this same switch dvd error myself for this game. I'm using Windows 10 Pro and it is up to date with updates. I haven't tried cleaning the discs yet, but I've had this problem on an older computer way back in the day, and for some reason I believe the problem was I only had one drive. Using two separate optical drives did the trick back then. Does this solution sound familiar?

Heimdall_G
09-18-2015, 09:23 PM
In general,
-- a. Install Revelation to your C: drive.
----- 1. If you have a very small C: that's reserved for system files only, install Revelation to D:.
----- 2. Do NOT install the game to an external drive, either USB or E-SATA.
-- b. Start Revelation from a fresh boot.
----- 1. Disable all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background.
----- 2. If you have only a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, for example), do NOT disable it!
----- 3. Do NOT run any other programs before starting Revelation.
-- c. Do NOT boot up with a CD or DVD in any drive.
-- d. If the Revelation disc autostarts when you insert it into the drive, cancel back to the Desktop.
-- e. Start the game using the Revelation icon on the Desktop, NOT the menu item on the Revelation disc.

Questions:

1. What is the exact wording of the error you're getting?

2. Are you having problems with reading any other DVD's and/or installing any other programs from DVD?

funkymunkysdh
09-19-2015, 02:17 AM
Answers:

1. the exact wording of the error I'm getting is this: "The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume Myst4_1 into drive E:."
I only have one optical drive, the one I mentioned, and it is the E drive.

2. I have had no other problems with reading DVD's nor installing programs from DVD.

An additional note: After I put Disc 1 back in the drive and hit cancel, I found another error message that says this:

"Feature transfer error:

File: E:\common\data\english\data.m4b
Error: The device is not ready."

Hope this helps even the least bit.

Heimdall_G
09-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Suggestions:

1. On one of the Revelation DVD's is a folder \common with a subfolder \data. This subfolder contains folders for all of the six supported languages. Inside each is a file data.m4b.
-- a. Can you read (or at least see) all of these data.m4b files?
-- b. If you can do so, proceed to Suggestion 2. If not, post back with details.

2. See How to Open the Control Panel in Windows 10 (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2691-control-panel-open-windows-10-a.html).
-- a. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > View Devices and Printers.
-- b. Under “DVD/CD-ROM Drive”, check whether there are any errors: Question Mark (?), Red cross (X), or Exclamation Point (!).
-- c. If there are no errors shown, proceed to Suggestion 3. If there are errors, post back with details.

3. Do a fresh boot, especially disabling all anti-virus/spyware/adware/pop-up programs running in the background, then install Revelation.

4. Carefully clean both discs as detailed below. Then do a fresh boot, and install Revelation.

funkymunkysdh
09-22-2015, 12:36 AM
On step 2 I go to the Control Panel, into Hardware and Sound, then View Devices and Printers, but I don't see my drive under there. No optical drives whatsoever. Perhaps because Windows 10 doesn't recognize it in that route. It does see it in the Device Manager, however.

funkymunkysdh
09-25-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry to bother, but is my problem beyond help? :(

Heimdall_G
09-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Have you successfully carried out all four Suggestions?

funkymunkysdh
09-26-2015, 10:08 PM
My Drive is not showing up under 'View Devices and Printers'. It only shows on Device Manager and under This PC as my E: drive. I haven't been able to get it to show up in the area you said to find it under. I'm not seeing any error messages anywhere, however. I'll try step 3 in that case.

funkymunkysdh
09-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Step 3 did the trick. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate the help! :)

Heimdall_G
09-27-2015, 08:35 PM
You're welcome. Enjoy Revelation!