PDA

View Full Version : The great weapons debate

georgeo76
04-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Article (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/2530001.html?page=1&c=y) about the mismatched prioritys of the Pentagon and the battlefield.

RCAF_Irish_403
04-09-2006, 03:39 PM
The military would be much better off spending that money training people how to speak Arabic languages.

there is way to much money to be made by the military industrial complex for any sane budgeting regarding the defence budget

TX-Zen
04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
An interesting book related to the topic is 'The Pentagon and the art of war' by Edward Lutwak I believe.

georgeo76
04-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I guess it's normal for the military to prepare for the war it fought last, but it's infuriating why we are not preparing for the war we're fighting now.

It's hard not to conclude it's a money thing. Defense contractors getting sweet-heart deals to build expensive equipment. The song remains the same, except when you consider that even with a post 911 carte blanche defense budget they are having to down size manpower to afford the technology. Duke Cunningham wasn't mentioned in the article but I couldn't help but wonder how much of this is bona fied corruption instead of pin-head management.

FritzGryphon
04-09-2006, 04:52 PM
You have to admit though, the F-22 and DDX are stylish. The ABL is just downright cool.

And wars aren't about whether you win or lose. It's about how good the stock footage looks on CNN. Especially if don't happen to live in any of the nations involved!

That, and sim games. I'm still waiting for the flight sim equivalent of America's Army. Though, I fear the MiG will be nerfed...