PDA

View Full Version : First, you have to find them....(the Red Fleet)

MarkSynthesis
06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm playing GWX, and during my last patrol, Operation Barbarossa began.

Now, during every previous SH3 campaign I've played, I've yet to sink a single ship belonging to the Soviet Navy. Kind of ironic, if one considers the 75 to 80% of German casualties suffered on the Eastern Front (last I checked, anyway).

Besides one ship I saw moored in either Brest or Lorient, when the USSR was a neutral nation, I've yet to encounter any in this campaign either. My question is, where would one go if they wanted to target ships of the Russian Navy? I thought about either the Liverpool-Murmansk or Murmansk-England lines, but even that seems very hit-or-miss.

Or would I have better luck in the Mediterranean, which is an option, even in my large Type IXB.

wm4668
06-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Try the Black Sea, plenty of opportunities there, mind you it is prone to CTD when you sink one of their destroyers.

MarkSynthesis
06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by wm4668:
Try the Black Sea, plenty of opportunities there, mind you it is prone to CTD when you sink one of their destroyers.

Sooo....there's a chance my PC will crash if I sink a Soviet Destroyer?

Wow. That's a that's got to be the best ASW/Countermeasure I've seen yet. Anyone else had this problem thusfar?

Starforce3
06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm only a couple months from the russians entering the war and there's russian **** in every neutral port east of kiel. strange they'd all dissapear, seing as how there's no way out except past german waters.

wm4668
06-19-2007, 11:35 AM
@MarkSynthesis Yeah, smacks of that old 50s "deterrent" - MAD

MarkSynthesis
06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by wm4668:
@MarkSynthesis Yeah, smacks of that old 50s "deterrent" - MAD

Yup. Destroy a Russian vessel, and the universe ends abruptly. Very Dr. Strangelove-esque.

Karl_Donitz_Jr
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
What about if you sink the Lutzow? Not the Pocket Battleship Lutzoe, but the Admiral Hipper Class Heavy Cruiser that WAS to be called Lutzow once finished that was sold to the Russians and renamed Perbolsivk... I can't spell it lol!

The German built, Russian Heavy Cruiser...?

Messervy
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Then your U-boat instantly transforms into the brigantine Mary Celeste. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MarkSynthesis
06-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Messervy:
Then your U-boat instantly transforms into the brigantine Mary Celeste. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I dunno. A ghost U-Boat is pretty scary in its own right, ala U-1234 in an episode of Black Lagoon.