PDA

View Full Version : how to calibrate trims (rudder, elevator and aileron) on rotary buttons?

rbuchner
03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I assigned my trim commands to an old joystick which I canibalized.

Sometimes I notice that even though I have put the rotary all the way to the left for rudder trim, I still have to go beyond that because I could not be able to trim.

Seems to me a calibration issue, but Im not sure how it works.

Every start up, before taking off, am I supposed to center all my rotaries? Im not sure how the game loads the "initial" settings for trim...

I have IL2 joy control installed, but looking at the red and green squares, Im not sure if mine is set properly.

Can you share some correct input settings for the trim commands using rotary buttons?

Thanks.

jayhall0315
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Hello Flight School Buddy - With IL2 Joy Control keep the Trim Elevator settings to all 100s across the input scale range. As you move your finger over the rotary or slider the 'center' value (elevator trim neutral) will be zero and the high input (trim elevator positive full) will be 100, as will the low input (trim elevator negative full) go back up to 100.

Most guys take a marker or make a scratch to indicate where elevator trim neutral is, so they can look down for it easily and quickly.

When the game loads up, it will read the physical location of how far advanced your trim dial is currently rotated and use that initial input value when you are on the runway. All you need to do, is move that slider or rotary dial with your finger back to the 'middle' (trim elevator neutral).

You dont need to worry about aileron trim or rudder trim much, at least for combat's sake. One of the secrets to Il2 (at least when you are a new guy and primarily fly TnB circling combat moves) is having elevator trim set to a slider. If done correctly, and you and your opponent fly the exact same plane, then no one will be able to out turn you.

Jay

squareusr
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
i have sliders on a cannibalized logitech.

the most im important thing is that the pots are roughly in the middle position when the device is powered up. after that, you can move them up and down to make the chip fully aware of the available electrical range, but that's not so important.

If you have multi-rotation pots you probably want some more advanced electronics like the bodnar unit, i guess they don't suffer as hard as those cheapo joystick chips we like to scavenge. throttle units somehow manage to pull that trick off too, after all.

M_Gunz
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Assign keys to NEUTRALIZE TRIM for each axis. Center the rotaries/sliders and hit the keys. That should solve it.

na85
03-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
Assign keys to NEUTRALIZE TRIM for each axis. Center the rotaries/sliders and hit the keys. That should solve it.

This.

rbuchner
03-04-2009, 06:18 AM
hi,

thanks everyone for your answers.

I tried this neutralize commands but didnt work.

My impressions in IL2 joycontrol:

trim elevator is doing fine, no adjustments are needed.

aileron trim, almost non-used, so I wont bother with that yet.

rudder trim: here lies the issue. When I move the pot to the LEFT, the red dot goes all the way down to zero (the red dot on CURVE), than it starts going up again until mark 236, which is the end of the pot amplitude.
If I move the pot to the oposite direction, which is to the RIGHT, the red dot stops at the end of the pot amplitude, corresponding to value -922 in the curve.

The zero point here is supposed to be the center of it, I mean, the neutral value, right?

If the answer is yes, then I found the problem, but I dont know how to solve it. Do I need to have equal values for each end side of the pot, right? How?

thanks!

M_Gunz
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
You need to calibrate the rotary as an axis in Windows. It will then give full range.

Assign keys to NEUTRALIZE TRIM for each axis. Center the rotaries/sliders and hit the keys.

After calibrate in Windows, then do *this* above in IL2 and any time you have drift even during play you can reset center.

Calibrate in Windows through Start->Settings->Control Panel->Game Controllers

rbuchner
03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
You need to calibrate the rotary as an axis in Windows. It will then give full range.

It worked!

Thanks everyone for all the help provided here!