PDA

View Full Version : Why so many servers with with everyone flying Late War uber aircraft.

Maximus_Raptor
11-26-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to the IL2 community. I've noticed a sad trend that seems to favor late war aircraft with the early war aircraft thrown in for target practice on HL. There are virtualy no good early war servers around anymore. Greatergreen is empty( One of my favorite servers) most of the time now. There was a real cool P-40 vs Zero server and also a early spitfire versus 109 server... They were both jammed packed all the time and those servers are no longer around after PF was realeased. The aircraft matched up well and everyone on the server was just having a blast. There were times when I would have to keep trying for an hour to get in. But it was worth the wait and I had options. If the P-40 vs zero was full I would just go and hop on the spitfire5 versus 109F server. If those two were too busy I could hop on Greatergreen and get my fix. When pacific fighters was released I was realy looking forward to the classic Wilcat versus Zero carrier battles.
Unfortunately now all that is available now is just laggy servers full of aircraft with tactical nuke cannons. Everyone has to fly the fastest and most heavily armed aircraft available that saw limited combat in order to be competitive. I was on a server the other day with aircraft carrier bases and to my suprise, everyone was flying off the land bases. The sky was full with Ki-84s, P-51s and land based corsairs. The server had rediculous lagg and the host was just not a pleaseant personality. Please can anyone point me to a good early war historical matched up server. I miss my Greatergreen, P-40vs Zeke and 109f versus spitfire 5 servers. I better shut up now.. You guys have a nice day.

Brutal Maxim on HL

Maximus_Raptor
11-26-2004, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to the IL2 community. I've noticed a sad trend that seems to favor late war aircraft with the early war aircraft thrown in for target practice on HL. There are virtualy no good early war servers around anymore. Greatergreen is empty( One of my favorite servers) most of the time now. There was a real cool P-40 vs Zero server and also a early spitfire versus 109 server... They were both jammed packed all the time and those servers are no longer around after PF was realeased. The aircraft matched up well and everyone on the server was just having a blast. There were times when I would have to keep trying for an hour to get in. But it was worth the wait and I had options. If the P-40 vs zero was full I would just go and hop on the spitfire5 versus 109F server. If those two were too busy I could hop on Greatergreen and get my fix. When pacific fighters was released I was realy looking forward to the classic Wilcat versus Zero carrier battles.
Unfortunately now all that is available now is just laggy servers full of aircraft with tactical nuke cannons. Everyone has to fly the fastest and most heavily armed aircraft available that saw limited combat in order to be competitive. I was on a server the other day with aircraft carrier bases and to my suprise, everyone was flying off the land bases. The sky was full with Ki-84s, P-51s and land based corsairs. The server had rediculous lagg and the host was just not a pleaseant personality. Please can anyone point me to a good early war historical matched up server. I miss my Greatergreen, P-40vs Zeke and 109f versus spitfire 5 servers. I better shut up now.. You guys have a nice day.

Brutal Maxim on HL

WIFC_Phantom
11-26-2004, 04:37 AM
well maximus...if you look around for our WIFC server...we often have just early war aircraft (just wilcats, early p40's, zeros, vals etc.)

SeaFireLIV
Perhaps it`s due to the new patch with the upcoming add-on today? I`ve not being able to fly online since it`s release, but I know they`re a lot of pilots who enjoy flying `****` early war planes, including myself.

Maj_Death
I tried opening a 1941 DF server last weekend. I had an incredable 6 players in there at the peak http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif. And of those only 1 other than me stuck around for more than 10 minutes. The rest did one flight, promptly got shot down cause they tried turn fighting a Ki-43 with a P-40B and then left just as swiftly. The one guy who did stick around with me gave me a good fight though, so not all was lost. I will try again this weekend but I seriously doubt the results will be much different. Generally the early war servers don't start filling up until people have flown the 1944-45 stuff for six months and are bored out of their minds with that planeset.

SeaFireLIV
11-26-2004, 04:41 AM
D a m n. forgot it censored c r a p. Might as w e l l w r i t e like t h i s f r o m n o w o n!

CHDT
11-26-2004, 04:41 AM
I fully agree.

Except for a very few servers, hosts lack of subtility for aircraft choices.

Especially for servers with very limited choices, with an historical background. Some examples of servers I would like to play on:

- Japan-USSR, late war with Ki-84 againt P-63.
- Luftwaffe 190A against FAA Hellcats like in Norway.
- Me109E against I-16 like in the Spanish war.
- Hawk against Ki-43, like in China before WWII.
- Mustang against Yak-3 and Yak-9U like in Korea.
- Kittyhawks against 109F like in Lybia.
- Hungarian F-8 against Lufwaffe F-8.
- Hurricane against Ki-43.

and so on....

So many cool servers could be set up, but nobody seems to care of http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

P.S. I've not a connection for being a host, for the people surely coming with the " why don't you start a server yourself" argument.

CrazyDonut
11-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Im with WIFC_Phantom. If you want to give it a go, look for the WIFC servers at ubicom, it is normal 100% games early/mid war planes....cool games and cool pilots......

STENKA_69.GIAP
11-26-2004, 04:52 AM
Yes I couldn't agree more, we have found that the only way to have fun is to run our own server =69.GIAP=- it's up most nights from around 20:00 Londontime. I limited the planesets to 42 with the exception of adding the odd 43 bomber as the ground pounders have comparatively little choice. Mostly it's for the squad to practice and let off steam before or after co-ops but anyone's free to fly (and login to TS) as long as they don't have an outrageous ping - I've had to limit it to 12 flying due to bandwidth.

However - you still get the same old questions "where's the P51?" "why can't I see outside the cockpit?" "my minimap doesn't work!" Etc.

Currently we're doing a lot of Pacific with mixed carriers and land - but I need to update my Malta dogs - biplane dogfights were a lot of fun and Fiat v Sturmovik is always a LOL.

Click on my badge to see the world!

CHDT
11-26-2004, 05:24 AM
And a dogfight server with Beaufighter against Me-110?

OneTinSoldier77
Hi Maximus_Raptor,

If you use Hyperlobby I recommend trying out the 'Fallen Angels' server. It's mostly early war birds on there and they have some very good maps! I believe a good portion of the maps were created by FA_Cheech, I could be mistaken though. The server is also very smooth. It's one of my favorites!

Cheers,

One Tin Soldier

Jambock__01
As soon Oleg release the new Dedicated Server, =AIRWARS= (The History Server) will return. We have a huge map rotation and LOTS of early war maps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
11-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Hi,

I try to avoid anything later than 1943 if I can help it; it just begins to get a bit silly after that.

I had a variation on this one the other week:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
However - you still get the same old questions "where's the P51?" "why can't I see outside the cockpit?" "my minimap doesn't work!" Etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It went:
"No P51? - this server is boring and you people are boring" (moron leaves)

Class act!

I notice that you get something cyclical going on; servers have late war scenarios then someone sets up an early war one and people move to it because they forgot how much better early war was then someone gets bored of that and sets up a late wer server..etc...etc. Just human nature.

Cheers,
Norris

Kootenai
11-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Another Greatergreen refugee here. I believe they've been working on new missions for combined FB/PF and are just waiting on the dedicated server release. For anyone else who likes Greatergreen and finds the "all late-war all the time" servers boring, I highly recommend the Fallen Angels server (can be found at Hyperlobby) as an alternative. I've been flying there almost exclusively since Greatergreen has been dormant. They are running a nice variety of '42-43 missions there. Planesets vary from mission to mission but most often include F4Fs and A6M-21s along with SBDs and Vals. Other aircraft available in various missions include P40s, P39s, P400s, P38s, Beaufighters, KI-43s, A6M3s, A6M5s, B-25s, F6Fs and Corsairs. I don't think there are any post-43 scenarios there right now.

TacticalYak3
11-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Don't lose heart. Early war was popular on HL a while back (and a lot of fun with bi-planes). It will make its way back for another season soon enough.

Waldo.Pepper
11-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Give the -

cha cha --

People -

cha cha --

What they want!

TacticalYak3
11-26-2004, 01:06 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

TooCool_12f
11-26-2004, 01:08 PM
I hosted a server, not long ago, wildcats vs zekes, great fun, but only guys form my squad joined... onle a handful of people made a short appearance...

strange, on HL there are more people than ever, but my servers have rarely been so empty

Lav69
11-26-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree Maximus and am familiar with the servers you speak about. Their names elude me at the moment. I think part of the problem is the lack of a dedicated server patch at the moment. Hopefully this change. Hang in there.

Hendley
11-26-2004, 01:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kootenai:
Another Greatergreen refugee here. I believe they've been working on new missions for combined FB/PF and are just waiting on the dedicated server release... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, great! Greatergreen was the first online server I ever joined. Had the greatest maps and missions for the mudmover-inclined. I was wondering where it had gotten to...

Eraser_tr
11-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Too many servers are simply not giving many plane choices. I actually see more early war servers than others. It always ends up being zero vs wildcat and no other options. I selected the merged install for a reason: huge plane choice. I love early war planes but i'd like to fly a variety.

haven't been able to try stuff such as polikarpovs vs early p-40's or ki43s or other planes from diff nationalities instead of strictly USN vs JPN. I like What-if games, we all know how history turned out.