PDA

View Full Version : prop pitch n other stuff, how to?

alphalvr
03-31-2009, 08:22 AM
okn i grasp the blades `bite more ` with lower percent prop pitch but its how to best use this feature thats eluding me.

radiator cowl i realise suffers drag if i open it

im flying hurricane mk1

lets say i go into a dive (lets imagine for boom n zoom purposes)

1. should i go full throttle?? or rely on gravity and get as much from throttling back a bit?

2. prop pitch, would it be better to stay at 100% or bite more with added rpms from dive

3. rad, should i keep this closed or use the fact im diving for a quick engine cool moment?

4. as i come out of dive and wish to turn my speed back into height obviously id say rad closed (for sure) 100 or 110 throttle, and prop pitch??? i normally go with 100%.

basically my simplified way of playing with prop pitch atm is if im getting 3000 rpms (the red line i think) ill drop the prop pitch to get me between 2600 n 2800 ish rpms but to be really honest ive read up on it but cant really put what ive read into practise for max benefit in the game.

guess i should count my chikens that fuel mixture isnt reallyy needed on the mk1 cane.

any tips guys, im trying to get my kite to give its all speedwise, hell i need it.

ps. lets say its all over (as usual) and im floating like a butterfly due to catastophic engine failure. obviously glide is my only saviour (well apart from eject) so in this instance i shut the rad cowl but have been wondering about prop pitch for least drag. in this instance should i drop prop pitch as low as possible?? or am i waaay off

kind regards

x6BL_Brando
03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
1. I always throttle back and coarsen the pitch when doing a diving manoeuvre, for two reasons. Firstly, I don't want to over-rev the engine and secondly I don't want to over-speed the descent and chance the control surfaces stiffening up. I know that you state your intention as being a 'boom & zoom' - but don't forget that tactics may have to be changed at any time during a combat situation. Say, for example, that you look up during your dive and see a pair of 109s are diving at you, with another pair waiting up top. In those circumstances a zoom would be suicidal, while a 'split-S' might just carry you clear and allow you to carry on diving away but in a reverse direction. Or whatever. The important part is that you still can control the machine in order to make the necessary action.

2. See above

3. Depends on the temperature you are seeing on the gauges. If the engine is near overheat then yes. If not, leave the rad flaps as near closed as you feel good with.

4. I think this depends on where your rev. counter gets to in the dive. The important point is to keep the engine below the red line while retaining control. Coarsening the pitch will help to control this, as well as a steady movement of the throttle. From what I've read, RAF pilots used to have to submit a report if they pushed the throttle "through the gate" during a sortie, as 'flat-out', fine pitch, '110%' throttle was a recipe for dramatic engine-wear if over-used.

I never found feathering to be much use in a single-engined aircraft. It certainly helps in a multi where you're still flying on the other engine(s), but I always considered that it's about the damage and fire risk that a wind-milling prop can cause to a broken engine.

B

deskpilot
03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
More knowledgeable people than I will hopefully reply to your question, but for what it's worth, I've discovered that if in any doubt , leave it at 100% prop pitch. some pepole have said that particular planes like the tempest are best kept cool by adjusting prop oitch as opposed to radiator but think in the hurricane you'd be better to stick to 100%. i remember a post ages ago when one gut saifd he'd tested planes at different prop pitch settings and not found significant gains in speed by reducing it below 100. I have to say my experience is starting to confirm this. I am prepared to be corrected in this though!

Bobbo_Tabor
03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Some of the planes, like the Tempest, have markings on the instruments that tell you were the manifold pressure and engine RPMS should generally be. If I recall correctly the Tempest uses the white=idle, green = normal operation, red=danger bar system around the edge of the instrument dial.

alphalvr
03-31-2009, 01:58 PM
actually i used boom n zoom as a diving example....im absolutely useless at it, i miss completely.

but i figure if i have a `e` or altitude advantage id be foolish to do much else, especially as a cane mk1 doesnt really excell at anything, but i figure if i can master that other planes will come much easily??

my boom n zoom....

my alt 2650m
enemy alt 1000m (usuually in a 1937 plane that i loadout with the heaviest **** i can, its practise http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

i get over them , rollover, pull the stick, goin to a dive, dreaming of cockpit or wing tank shots .....and 0.00001 sec later im underneath it trying to get back up high having missed completey http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, now ill read the other answers/suggestions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

edit,

ok so by throttling back in a dive im not going tio lose much speed for when i need to return that speed into height then? i was thinking dive with everything u got to retain speed for getting back up oringinally.

the control surface stiffening is a good point, trhanks for that

thanks to everyone really.

also (maybe i need a new post 4 this but dont wanna hog the forum) `rudder` i really went to town gettuing the `simpeds f16` thinking this was the difference between hitting n missing, but now i have them im strarting to wonder if they hinder more than help in shot lining.

what exactly is the time for rudders??? (take off and barrel rolls is my main use atm)ive also read using rudders to line shots somehow makes you miss due to slip or somthing?? again anything to make me a combat ace is appreciated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the main reason i bought em is cuz i found that the rudder twist on my stick although funtional, when in combat somtimes i reelise ive been gripping so tight that i had full rudder on without even realising until i needed opposite rudder ....then i had the learning cureve of using my feeet for my old hand job http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

ROXunreal
03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
I use rudder for fine adjustments when diving rather than the ailerons.

DKoor
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
To comment the original question...
If you are unsure how that stuff works and what you will gain by it, don't use it yet. Rather check out the Manual.PDF and some other documentation about your specific aircraft and other features.
More specifically, what you will gain mostly is better “heat” control by opening radiators and lowering prop pitch (and also sacrificing the speed).
While it may be beneficial to some aircraft such is P-51 (to a small degree mind you), using different prop pitch on Hurricane and such earlier aircraft will give you only headache if you forget to set it right (on 100%) in the middle of a fight.
Playing with fuel mixture, other than being necessary to lower on some planes as altitude rises, gives you literally nothing regarding performance.

Chevy350
03-31-2009, 03:45 PM
i dont know if im doing it right, but this is what i do. in say, a mustang.

cruising ill have my prop pitch 70-85 depending on how fast i wanna go. even lower sometimes if im trying to save gas.

diving ill drop it 65-80 depending on how much speed i wanna build up

in combat im 85-100 usually 90-95

and i only really use 100 if im climbing or in a bad situation and need to get speed fast, because it seems to overheat my engine pretty quick.

i leave my radiator shut during any combat and with these settings i pretty much never overheat, especially if i open it for a bit at the top of a zoom or just while theres a break in the action.

like i said i dont know if this is right, but this is how i do it, and it seems to work pretty good. someone fix me if im doing it wrong.

alphalvr
04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
cheers guys, ive read the maual a gazillion times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

why would reading this again help me?? manual extract

ADVANCED ENGINE CONTROLS
The engine control routines have been reworked and expanded for Pacific Fighters; you now
have more detailed control over your engines, with more realistic feedback. However, some
tasks (like the engine start-up procedure) remain simplified and can usually be performed
with a single keystroke.

Throttle Control: Notice that on many aircraft you may push the throttle farther than Combat
Power mode (100%) to force your engine into the War Emergency Power (Emergency) mode
(up to 110%). Note that there is no Power 110 keyboard shortcut, so you’ll have to use the
Increase Engine Power control key (keyboard + by default) to gain War Emergency Power
(Emergency) when controlling throttle with the keyboard.

Emergency Power: Many aircraft modeled in the game have special systems allowing an
engine to gain advanced performance over a short period of time (as in the notorious nitrous
oxide injection system). The principles of operation vary for these systems, but for all aircraft
that are equipped this way, their systems may be engaged using the Boost (WEP) On/Off control
button.

Supercharger Control: High-altitude engines are equipped with superchargers or turbochargers
of different design. While many of these are automatic, others have manual controls. In
aircraft with manual controls, you have to use Supercharger Next Stage and Supercharger
Previous Stage to adjust the supercharger gear as your flight altitude changes. Most of the
chargers are two-stage, and only require shifting up one gear when passing altitude at around
2,500 meters. Note: This function will not work for planes that have fully automatic pitch or
superchargers with multiple stages.

Mixture Control: Most of the engines allow the pilot to adjust mixture richness manually.
While the nominal position of this control (Auto Rich) should provide normal engine operation
in all flight configurations, some input may be required at high altitude or when the engine
has taken damage in battle. It is common to use increased (Full Rich) setup during takeoff or
as a means of emergency power.

Radiator Control: Pacific Fighters has advanced radiator control. In Advanced Engine Controls
difficulty mode, you now have five cowl or radiator-flap positions to provide more accurate
control. Plus, on certain aircraft, you may put the radiator flap in automatic mode.

--------------- this bit?

Propeller Pitch Control: You can control propeller pitch with the numerical keys, setting them
to a specific value, or by using the Increase Propeller Pitch and Decrease Propeller Pitch control
keys for a more convenient and accurate propeller control.

Fixed Propeller: Some older airplanes found in the game are equipped with simple fixedpitch
wooden propellers. Those, of course, have no automation or control, and require no pilot
input.

------------

i assime theres a more detailed manual for the game im overlooking??

thanks everyone, its starting to look like this stuff is more for saving fuel which currently isnt a big problem.....well apart from my daily fuel leaks :P

crucislancer
04-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by alphalvr:
i assime theres a more detailed manual for the game im overlooking??

Well, not really. One of the things that seem to have been forgotten with the IL-2 1946 release is any kind of tutorial or what not about engine management. There are bits and pieces in various readmes or what not, but nothing concrete. I think part of that is the sheer number of flyables, and what works for one might not work for another. IIRC, there was supposed to be a training video in game that covered CEM, but it's not there for some reason.

I posted these a while ago, something I found on the internet. I was told these are from the Forgotten Battles disc, and have the engine management details for the planes in FB. It’s a start, at least.

Engine Data from FB (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3144)

woonks73
04-02-2009, 03:32 AM
does IL2 model the over rev damage? Manual mentioned the combat mode is at rpm 3000. nothing about over revving.

In QMB, I rev the HurriMKII to 4000 rpm or more (in a dive) and pull out at 600kmph, but nothing happened. no kaputt, no nothing.