PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for BOB: Bailing out

Lord_Rhah
10-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

At the moment in FB/PF we have a very simplified bail out precedure and "sequence", and i was wondering what the chances are that in BoB this might be rectified.

It obviously doesnt affect the gameplay that much, but it does look kind of strange that now, when you bail from a plane, the pilot just floats thru the plane. He can be killed by a nearby explosion, or shot, but isnt affected by the falling aircraft.

Perhaps in BoB it would be possible to make it so the pilot can be killed by his aircraft. this would also force people to be more careful when bailing out (if they have the time to!)

Also, how about having it so it isnt just one command to bail? how about having a key to unclip the harness, open the canopy (which we have already for some Aircraft), actually bail out, and then deploy the chute.
would be a nice little touch, and add a little extra danger to getting shot down.

HayateAce
10-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Yeah, and I want to do some wingwalking before I actually leave the ship.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

This came up a year ago and the replies were interesting. Personally, yes I want to at least open the canopy, put my ship into the proper attitude so I don't hit the tailplane, and leap out with a First Person view.

Give me a .45 to shoot at other parachutists and it will be nirvana.

J_Weaver
10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I totally agree. I remember back when I used to play European Air War, bailing out was no sure bet. IIRC EAW had the posibility of hitting part of the aircraft, chute failing to open,and not being able to get out due to high G forces. It made ditching the aircraft the best bet if possible. Sure would be cool to see something similar in BoB (or PF http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

Bartolomeo_ita
10-20-2005, 03:53 PM
It obviously doesnt affect the gameplay that much, but it does look kind of strange that now, when you bail from a plane, the pilot just floats thru the plane. He can be killed by a nearby explosion, or shot, but isnt affected by the falling aircraft.

i feel you all.

elephant_il2
10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
"...In BoB we will try to use a bit different technology and and for each nation we plan to put diferent helmets (better to say basic models of pilots inside the plane and bailed out with animation)..."

Quote from Oleg's reply to my e-mail about pilots in FB/PF.

Aaron_GT
10-21-2005, 07:09 AM
One of the immersive touches from Janes WW2F was the fact that canopies could get jammed. Some planes should also be rather harder to bail from, and be virtually impossible to bail from at high speed unless the canopy is already open (hence the tendency for some Soviet pilots to fly with the canopy open).

Aaron_GT
10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Yeah, and I want to do some wingwalking before I actually leave the ship.

Can we get Oleg to model a Boeing Stearman and the Utterly Butterly Fliers as an Easter Egg in BoB?

Popey109
10-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Yes pleas!!! let me pull my cord http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif than I can free fall out of combat...these are all good, jumping should always be the last option, and never easy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Archangel2980
10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
First person view with the sound of rushing wind.

Jetbuff
10-21-2005, 11:48 AM
When did BoB switch to a bail-out simulation? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Honestly, unless everything else was already wrapped up tight, I really don't think this is a worthwhile investment of effort.

skycaptain_1
10-21-2005, 12:06 PM
When did BoB switch to a bail-out simulation?

Honestly, unless everything else was already wrapped up tight, I really don't think this is a worthwhile investment of effort.

well yes thats true, but its a good thread none the less.

can we have it so that when you bail out of a C47 we can do some formation skydiving http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Popey109
10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Really?...I've bailed out of aircraft doing 500kph with one wing gone...had the stab cut me in half...made it home safe and sound!...how realistic is that? I think it's very relevant if we want the best second generation sim. You can have an option to disable if you want http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

bolillo_loco
10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I do not even know how to bail out, this is a feature of the game I have never had to use :O

hahaha I beat RedDeth to the punch!

J_Weaver
10-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Jetbuff:
When did BoB switch to a bail-out simulation? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

True, resources shouldn't be pulled away from the major parts. However, its the little things that can break or make the immersion factor. IMO its the small details that bring a sim to life. IL2-PF is a good example. We have (IMO) very realistic flight models and technical aspects of the sim. However, It totally lacks the little things that make its immersive.

TheGozr
10-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I just hope that they will not add teh pilot inside the cockpit, that would kill the game.

Jetbuff
10-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Agreed that it's often the small touches that add to the immersion. I'm still not convinced the bail-out sequence is one of those things though. I'd much rather have a more populated and 'active' landscape or more interesting post-mission debrief than the former for the purposes of immersion.

Mind you, nothing against having it all, just hope the priorities are straight.

Kuna15
10-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Good idea, @ Lord_Rhah although I think I remember that this issue has been discussed. Considering Oleg's work so far, I think that we will get improved bailing sequence for sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Originally posted by HayateAce:
Give me a .45 to shoot at other parachutists and it will be nirvana.

Well I will wait 'till some poor guy glues on my 6, then I would cooly open my canopy and the last thing the poor bandit would see is a big muzzle flash from my .357.http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/smileys/gun_1.gif

LEXX_Luthor
10-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Pilot can get killed by his falling plane. To do this, pull up vertical with engine off until you are as slow as you can get near the top and then BAIL. It takes some repeated experimenting with bail timing and bail orientation but you eventually will see it. Sometimes the falling plane hits the open chute and the chute collapses and the pilot falls to death. Sometimes the falling plane hits the pilot and chute and the pilot gets killed outright by collision with own plane (or other planes) and the pilot hangs limp under the chute. It's been a while since I did these experiments (MiG-3) but it worked several Patches ago (pre-PF).

Grue_
10-24-2005, 09:19 AM
At least a manual chute release should be easy to implement and will help to avoid chute shooting.

I've read several pilot accounts of waiting until they had fallen into cloud or getting close to the ground before releasing their chute.

Dew-Claw
10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Pilot can get killed by his falling plane. To do this, pull up vertical with engine off until you are as slow as you can get near the top and then BAIL. It takes some repeated experimenting with bail timing and bail orientation but you eventually will see it. Sometimes the falling plane hits the open chute and the chute collapses and the pilot falls to death. Sometimes the falling plane hits the pilot and chute and the pilot gets killed outright by collision with own plane (or other planes) and the pilot hangs limp under the chute. It's been a while since I did these experiments (MiG-3) but it worked several Patches ago (pre-PF).

You have the plane fall on you all the time if you fly the p-39.
bail high in a flat spin and you have a good chance of the plane coming down on you.
the pilot free falls faster than the flat spinning p-39.
As soon as your chute opens the plane drops on you.

LEBillfish
10-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Your own plane if not set to not drop or fly back into you OR even if you get hit by falling debris will wreck your chute to even wounding(maybe)/killing you.

Snuffly
10-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I think the sound when bailing out should be improved. well for example, if its first person view and stuff, you got a good 2 inches of glass and a good 18 inches of metal blocking out the sound of the engine.

Lets say that in the future when bob comes out, your flying your spitfire and get shot in the engine, you imediately, shake your tail, barrel roll and scissor ur but out of the huge scramble you where just in. When you feel that your safe, you start to notice that your engine is constantly spraying your canopy with oil, and u further noticed that some of the bullets that came at you earlier on, actually made it inside the cockpit. You look at your gauges to see how well your plane is holding up, you see that your compass, radio and your fuel indicator are all shot up. So you decide; "ok I can't see s***, I don't know where im at, I cant call for buddies, and I could be leaking fuel and not even know it"
So your first decision is to see were your heading to, you look to the left where one of the only parts of the canopy is not smeared with oil, and you see those darn beutifull dover cliffs, so you decide to turn towards them obviously because its friendly territory.
As you pull back on the stick, you fell a jerk in the plane. Then you hear a TINK and you look at your right wing, and theres a bullet hole you didnt see earlier. As you try and swivel your head to see your 6:00 you notice the glass is fogged up from the heat inside your cockpit. You then decide you may need to bail out, you grasp your hands on the lever to open the canopy. As you pull back the lever your face is caught with such a blast of air and sound you instictevly pull your throttle down to 40 %
You take a look at your six over the edge of your damaged spitfire, and notice YOU ARE LEAKING FUEL, YOU ARE NO LONGER HEADING HOME, YOU NO LONGER SEE THE BATTLE YOU WHERE JUST IN 10 minutes ago. and as you grasp the edge of the cockpit for dear life you see a beutifull 109 tear out from what seemed like nowhere, it comes in close, closer then you ever thought anyone would have the guts to do, your engine now sounds like a bell compared to his. you decide your need to bail out, as you bring your self back in the cockpit to unbuckle your saftey belt and grab the picture of your girlfriend back home, BOOM your plane nose straight down to the deep sea, you then thank god you grabbed the picture first and not the seatbelt, you stick your head our of the cockpit to see what happened, as you lift your head to try and see over the back of your plane again, GASP - you no longer have your plane anymore, you realize the back part of your plane must have been hit my a cannon shot and flew away on its own. You have no choice but to bail. You cut your throttle, unbhuckle your belt, and your suddenly thrown away from your plane withing seconds. As your twirling toward the water yourself, yourfrantically trying to find the pullstring to realease your chute.
you take a quick look to see how high you are and **"SPLASH"**

Too late you didnt realize you where in more trouble then you could handle and didnt bail out untill it was too late.

Once you realized that you where an easy target and your radio was gone you should have gained some altitude choped your throttle and unbuckle the seatbelt, and rolled the plane over and just let your self casually drop from your cockpit.

the end

Daiichidoku
10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
IMO the idea for a simple two-step sequence of canopy jettison followed by a bail command

many times i have hit bail, thinking in panic that my wings have been nulled, only to discover that they arent, and i can still fly with control enough to attempt a RTB, or that nasy BBQ fire goes out...

would be nice to "change one's mind" and stay with the ship to attempt RTB or at least cross friendly lines

bailed too many time, watching my planes fire go out, or that its suddenly flying quite contently on its own

be nice also if jettisoned canopies could impact trailing machines, too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

btw, why do parachutes detonate explosive shells? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

darkhorizon11
10-28-2005, 08:06 PM
How about first person view in the bail?

Falling through the airplane is kind of dumb I agree.

Waldo.Pepper
10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I want maps and all the other 'stuff' that is loose in the cockpit to fly out of the plane as soon as you ditch the canopy.

Seeing loads of paperwork leaving the plane was a common observation when you shot down a plane back ni the day.

I'd also like to be able to get out of a downed He-162 in the game now.

triggerhappyfin
10-29-2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:

You have the plane fall on you all the time if you fly the p-39.
bail high in a flat spin and you have a good chance of the plane coming down on you.
the pilot free falls faster than the flat spinning p-39.
As soon as your chute opens the plane drops on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The other day during online dogfighting in a FW-190 I entered this flatspin witch I couldnt do nothing about, so I bailed...When the pilot got out of the pit the tail of the aircraft came swinging and "WHACK" hit the pilot and killed him no chute ever developed and he fell right into ground head first.

I´ve never seen this before.

darkhorizon11
10-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Id like to add a little more. A lot of people will argue this is a waste of code but I think a realistic FP view or at least a canopy jettison then bailout command is very pertinent.

Its the little things that makes games great. Just look at Call of Duty, it stood out over other games for stuff like this. The shell shock feature, realistic sighting, soldiers grimacing, the feeling of being insignificant in a battle much greater than you and the other two guys your shooting at... its this stuff that sets games apart.

Of course every game strives for the best flight models, realistic damage models, etc. But what makes it makes it memorable is stuff like this, a FPV bailout, realistic ATC commands, running out to your aircraft from the barracks, ground crews pulling out the chocks and telling you need to go easy on the engine because a coolant leak isn't totally fixed, realistic system failures, having probable and shared kills... etc etc etc

This is what makes you remember a game.

RidgeR5
10-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Jetbuff:
Agreed that it's often the small touches that add to the immersion. I'm still not convinced the bail-out sequence is one of those things though. I'd much rather have a more populated and 'active' landscape or more interesting post-mission debrief than the former for the purposes of immersion.

Mind you, nothing against having it all, just hope the priorities are straight.

Remember CFS1, where it would show a map, and talk about what happened? Same for CFS2, but not as nice...

GT182
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Bailout changes would be nice but first I'd like to see my legs and arms in the cockpit. Nothing's worse than to look down and not see anything but the seat and nothing human while the stick, throttle and rudders move.

An empty cockpit while you fly is like being a part of the "Twilight Zone". It just plain sucks being amputated from the eyes down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif