PDA

View Full Version : Why are these two conf.ini lines missing from PF?

SlickStick
02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I posted this in another thread, but didn't get a response. I'm wondering why these two lines are not installed in PF's conf.ini file by default:

checkTimeSpeedDifferense=0.03
checkTimeSpeedInterval=5

Are these settings no longer valid? The function they perform is very useful for Hosts to help stop space-time continuum cheaters. Just curious why they are not a part of the conf.ini by default.

Thanks for any info.

SlickStick
02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I posted this in another thread, but didn't get a response. I'm wondering why these two lines are not installed in PF's conf.ini file by default:

checkTimeSpeedDifferense=0.03
checkTimeSpeedInterval=5

Are these settings no longer valid? The function they perform is very useful for Hosts to help stop space-time continuum cheaters. Just curious why they are not a part of the conf.ini by default.

Thanks for any info.

CPS_Shadow
02-04-2005, 01:45 AM
I would think it's because they are only needed by hosts. Setting them on a client computer does nothing. They do have default values that are used if the lines are not in the config.

They appear to be still valid, the game is still showing the values set by the host at the start of each game.

If you are hosting and you want to tighten up these settings, just add them.

ElAurens
02-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Yes, the anti speed hack controls are still in place and still operate.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SlickStick
02-04-2005, 06:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CPS_Shadow:
I would think it's because they are only needed by hosts. Setting them on a client computer does nothing. They do have default values that are used if the lines are not in the config.

They appear to be still valid, the game is still showing the values set by the host at the start of each game.

If you are hosting and you want to tighten up these settings, just add them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understood that they're only needed by hosts, but if hosts do not know about them, they can't use them. The host in question may be new to PF and does not even know about those settings or where to get the lines from to copy into their conf.ini.

I'm just thinking that they should install by default.

SlickStick
02-04-2005, 01:47 PM
After perusing the PF manual, I see that they detail the MAX LAG settings quite nicely, but no mention of the speed check settings.

Newcomer Hosts to PF will not be aware of these lines nor will they know how to use them. I think it would be beneficial to have the lines install by default and have the explanation on their use added to the manual.

CPS_Shadow
02-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Would have been nice to have them in the Manual. I think the only place they are officially documented is in a post on this forum, they were accidentally omited from the readme when they were added to the program.

Unfortunately I think it's a little too late to add them to the manual now.

I don't think it's a big deal not having them in the config. If your going to change them you really need to know what it is you are changing.

And, any documentation for them would also give you the lines that you can paste in.

New hosts would probably be better off using default settings at first and then once they know their system can stably handle hosting. Find a set of settings from another user that are already tested, then tweak those settings to suit thier system.

BTW these are not the only options that do not appear in the config, so it is not that unusual.

SlickStick
02-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Good points, but Hosts don't see their settings for speed check, only those who join the server see the speed check % and seconds come up.

Adding to the manual could be accomplished with an easy .PDF update in a patch or to the next ReadMe, and making the conf.ini file have the two lines at default timings, at least will give new hosts the option to use them.

Any Host's server that does not use MAX LAG and Speed Check settings shall be exploited by cheaters.

Be sure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif