PDA

View Full Version : flaps.... help a new guy?

stukabomber44
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to IL-2 altogether. When I'm dog fighting or just flying around to be simpler... I noticed there are 4 variations of flaps. (depending the plane you use... my preference is the bf109)
Now i know landing and take off are obvious hehehe but I'm wondering whats the difference between combat and raised... if anyone could be helpful and explain the pros and cons of each one id be very grateful...

FlatSpinMan
05-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Raised just means that they are flush with the upper surface of the wing and therefore not causing any drag or extra lift.

Combat flaps - they're deployed slightly, let's call it one notch. At this setting they can help you to turn faster. Don't keep them on the whole dogfight though, just as you are starting a turn. Also handy when your opponent dives and you follow him. As he nears the bottom of the dive and is starting to pull up, reduce your throttle and deploy combat flaps then raise them and hit the throttle. Using flaps in this case will flatten out the bottom of your dive. when you slam on the throttle you can cut across the bottom of the loop and hopefully be in a good firing poistion on his high 6.

horseback
05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Most aircraft in the sim have four flap settings: Up, Combat, Takeoff, and Landing.

Since flaps add both lift and drag, you have a limited choice of times to use them. They are sometimes useful for takeoff, and almost always necessary for landings, because they allow you to fly & maintain control at much lower speeds as you make your approach.

In maneuvering combat, the Combat setting can help you tighten your turns or pull up more sharply, but at the expense of greater drag, which will slow you down a bit if you leave them down for an extended period. If you have tried dogfighting with the AI in a Quick Mission or one of the stock Single Missions, you may have noticed that they ˜flick' their flaps open and closed all the time, even the types that supposedly only used flaps to land, like the Hurricane, Spitfire, or I-16.

The AI ˜bots aren't subject to the limitations you are, though, so you must be more careful. Extending your flaps too far at too high a speed will result in jammed flaps, which means that you aren't going to be able to get to top speed, or extend your flaps all the way so you can slow down to a safe landing speed. Combat setting is generally safe at most speeds in most aircraft, but after that, you need to be at least under 300kph/180mph to go to Takeoff or Landing settings.

Obviously, as you attempt to land, you need to slow down and lose altitude, and flaps are critical to this exercise. You will generally want to be at 500m/1600ft alt, with an airspeed under 300kph/180mph and dropping as you start your approach. As you throttle back and drop your nose, you'll add combat flaps and some nose down trim. As your alt and speed continue to go down, you'll need to add more flaps to maintain your glide path and control. For most aircraft, your desired airspeed will be a bit under 200kph/120mph just before you cross the edge of the landing strip.

Hope this helps.

cheers

horseback

Chris0382
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
SOME Combat reports tell that deploying 20% flaps assists in firing. I dont understand this and can someoe shed a light on this as it relates to this thread. I have analog flaps and a button on my combats stick to deploy 20% of the analog axis but dont know ow to use it to my advantage.

p-11.cAce
05-03-2007, 09:50 AM
In early war scenarios where you are "mostly" turn fighting do not be afraid to use flaps to their fullest advantage. In Flatspins BoB campaign there were several times when I'd be locked in a turn fight in my -109 against hurri's or spits and would go all the way to landing flaps to keep from falling off into a spin while trying to maneuver into a decent firing position. Just remember to crank them back up as your airspeed rises!