PDA

View Full Version : Best Wild Weasel

Beirut
02-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I've found one of the toughest and most enjoyable mission types is running Wild Weasel (anti-AAA) ops in advance of a strike force.

Now that the Mosquito is here, I'm wodering what others think is the best Wild Weasel plane.

The Beaufighter is excellent, as is the Mosquito, both high speed, with rockets, good cannons, and dual engines. The IL2 is very good with it's cannons and armour, but suffers, obviously, in the speed department.

Anyone flying Weasel missions have a favorite as far as plane type and armament?

Beirut
02-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I've found one of the toughest and most enjoyable mission types is running Wild Weasel (anti-AAA) ops in advance of a strike force.

Now that the Mosquito is here, I'm wodering what others think is the best Wild Weasel plane.

The Beaufighter is excellent, as is the Mosquito, both high speed, with rockets, good cannons, and dual engines. The IL2 is very good with it's cannons and armour, but suffers, obviously, in the speed department.

Anyone flying Weasel missions have a favorite as far as plane type and armament?

Doug_Thompson
02-14-2006, 01:49 PM
I'd be curious to know what you think of the Do 335.

It has a variety of different loadouts, as others have already pointed out. You can have as many as eight separate bomb drops in one mission, IIRC.

It's a big target, but smaller than a Mosquito and much more manuverable.

It has a much better climb, allowing diving attacks with a quick recovery of altitude.

If one engine is shot out, flying with the other one is no problem.

At first, I thought ammo was too limited for ground missions. Then I saw what all that firepower in the nose does to ground targets.

Beirut
02-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Interesting choice. Not sure about the eight separate bomb drops though unless you can release them one at a time. Also, the bombs are small, 70kg each. There is a 500AB and a 1000 loadout as well so the thing certainly has potential.

Guess I'll just have to play around with it a bit more. At least it's fun to experiment.

Any thoughts on tactics? I tend to go for very low and very fast with a slight pop up at the last moment so as to bring the nose down on target followed by the fastest getaway I can manage, hopscotching over any houses or building that can get in between me and the AAA both on the way in and out.

Nice to run Wild Weasel missions prior to a para-drop flying about two minutes behind you. That gives you only a short time to do your business otherwise you get to watch all your Dakotas lawn dart in.

If only the FMB had triggers. I used to set up missions like this in Janes WWII Fighters where I had to kill the AAA so the paras could fly over. When the paras dropped, that triggered the enemy armour to self-destruct, that would allow in the mobile infantry that was moving in as well (which would have been blown to bits if I hadn't done my job). Triggers are great! Hope we get them one day.

Doug_Thompson
02-14-2006, 05:48 PM
You can release the small bombs one at a time. It surprized me as well.

The A-20 looks like it would be good at this, too. Can it carry parafrag bombs? I forget.

CORRECTION The Do 335 drops the smaller bombs in pairs, so you can only make four bombing attacks, at most.

Interestingly, it also can carry two air-burst (ab) bombs. I think those are for attacking bomber formations, but I wonder. If you knew how far it fell before detonating, you could get a nice air burst abov some light AA.

The-Pizza-Man
02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
yes it can. The Tempest should be good as well.

Max.Power
02-14-2006, 07:03 PM
The Do, hands down. It is uninterceptable as you approach the target, and its internal bay allows for clean aerodynamic lines.

WWSensei
02-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I prefer the Mothership for SEAD...

Beirut
02-15-2006, 05:22 AM
What a riot. Sure enough on my first pass over the AAA in the Do-335, my front engine gets whacked and the prop bocks half the gunsight. Still managed good speed though. Came back around and hammered him with the guns.

Nice plane. God fun to fly and not at all bad for Weasel work. Still prefer a Mosquito or a Beaufighter, though, with lots of rockets, cannon and machine guns. Love the extra ammo option on the Mosquito. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

LameDuck.
02-16-2006, 09:07 AM
With only a minute or two to try out the Mossie last night, I tried a four element flight against an airfield, as coincidence would have it. Four flaming matchboxes. No way; for this task, I would rather have an IL-2 with either RS-82 or those neat-o carpet bombs (AO-10 is it?). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

bogusheadbox
02-16-2006, 10:10 AM
From my experience (very little ;-) ) the best aircraft would be one that carries rockets. Against a heavy AA / AAA presence, i would prefer the range a rocket gives over the sitting duck option of dropping a bomb load.

Unfortunately, the current state mossie does not have rockets available so i would discount it. Inview of this loss. I would then vote Beaufighter as best allied and tempest second.

I chose beaufighter first as its always handy to be able loose an engine under heavy fire and still have an opportunity to bug out. Tempest second as it is such a solid platform to fire from (with cannons) it makes ground attack easy, even though it has a disadvantage of only one engine.

Unfortunately i have not a lot of experience over axis aircraft. But definitely rockets over bombs, for sure.

Doug_Thompson
02-16-2006, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LameDuck.:
... for this task, I would rather have an IL-2 with either RS-82 or those neat-o carpet bombs (AO-10 is it?). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I came to exactly the same conclusion last night.

The IL-2 can only fire two volleys of rockets instead of the Beaufighter's four, but those cannons can open a tank. They can certainly take care of an AA position.

The plane's armored, handles well, and has a rear gunner. It doesn't have the ammo the new Mosquito does, but what would?

Tried out the A-20. It can carry a bombload that allows for six seperate releases of 2x100 bombs apiece. It has six forward-firing .50-cal with plenty of ammo, but not as much as the Beau or the Mossie, and no cannon. It has a dorsal turrent, if enemy aircraft are a problem. It also has a ventral MG, but that would be of little use close to the ground.

I didn't try out the Bf-110, but I don't think it has rockets. It does have amazing gunpower with gunpods, and a rear gunner.

dbillo
02-16-2006, 04:33 PM
P-47 seems to do a nice job!

Akronnick
02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
What about P-38L, ten rockets, two 1000lb'ers, Ma Duece x 4 plus twenty Mike-Mike (all in the nose) and two engine just in case.

Beirut
02-17-2006, 03:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug_Thompson:
The IL-2 can only fire two volleys of rockets instead of the Beaufighter's four, but those cannons can open a tank. They can certainly take care of an AA position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gues you're talking about the IL2-3M. Good choice if you're a good shot. I'm partial to the IL2-Series 3 model myself. Decent speed, lots of 23mm cannon and four volleys of rockets. (And a guy made me my own private custom skin for it as well.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I didn't try out the Bf-110, but I don't think it has rockets. It does have amazing gunpower with gunpods, and a rear gunner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding. You can set up the guns on that thing to hit like a battleship's broadside. With a FFB stick you can barely hang on when they fire.

Been playing around with this the last few days. Still partial to the Beaufighter. Good ammo load, good cannons, rockets, speed, twin engines. Though the IL2 packs a more serious punch but less speed.

For me, the P-38 isn't my first choice. Need more cannons, and I like having lots of cannons for repeated low level passes ans snap shots, but like Akkronick said, what a payload! Hey, whatever works for you.

Maybe we need a poll. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Wolkenbeisser
02-17-2006, 04:00 AM
P-47 for me. Reason?

- Radial-engine can take more hits than other engines
- It has Rockets
- It is more maneouverable (how the h*** do you spell that - english is not my language) than bombers

Wolkenbeisser
02-17-2006, 04:02 AM
...or F-4U-1D and F-6F

Beirut
02-17-2006, 05:22 AM
F6-F? Why that one?

I love the plane, great fun to fly, but what advantages do you think it offers as a Wild Weasel?

jds1978
02-17-2006, 05:29 AM
anything with rockets works fine

Wolkenbeisser
02-17-2006, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beirut:
F6-F? Why that one?

I love the plane, great fun to fly, but what advantages do you think it offers as a Wild Weasel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rockets and a radial engine.

Badsight.
02-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Beaufighter

its speed over the IL2 trumps it - you got to love the IL2 for GA tho , so much ammo bombs & rockets . for G/A work i prefer the 41 models

best ever IL2 sortie for me netted 1800 points

if we get the IL-10 (*fingers crossed*) , it will become the premiere G/A aircraft

Beirut
02-17-2006, 07:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Badsight.:
If we get the IL-10 (*fingers crossed*) , it will become the premiere G/A aircraft </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds tasty. Do you know the payload on the IL-10?

I'd love to see the Il2 series have gunpod options in the loadout screen. Give me my IL2-Series 3 with twin 20mm pods or double sets of twin .50s on each wing and it would be pure lawnmowing bliss. AAA wouldn't stand a chance. Kind of a forward firing Spooky gunship. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

That loadout must have been possible, I wonder if the Russians ever tried it.

gthgrrl4game
02-17-2006, 08:19 AM
For any gound attack, including 'wild weasel' I prefer the Beaufighter overall. Rockets, speed and gun power.
The Mossie is fast and has good gun, but no rockets. Plus it is vunerable to ground fire if you have to make more than one pass http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
The Beau is simply far faster and more agile than I thought it would be!!!

WOLFMondo
02-17-2006, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beirut:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since we don't have the RAF's real anti flak aircraft, the Typhoon, I'd go with the Tempest, for historical reasons mainly.

ronison
02-17-2006, 07:29 PM
This title really bothers me. Does anyone really know what a Wild Weasel really is... when it was first adopted as a term for taking out AA... what plane was actully used fist in this roll etc...?

Because it sure wasn't during WWII

Akronnick
02-17-2006, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronison:
This title really bothers me. Does anyone really know what a Wild Weasel really is... when it was first adopted as a term for taking out AA... what plane was actully used fist in this roll etc...?

Because it sure wasn't during WWII </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This term was first used by the USAF during Vietnam. The first Weasles were two seat F-100's armed with cluster and GP bombs, and later with AGM-45 Shrike missiles. Later aircraft used in this role were F-105G's armed with AGM-78 Standard ARM missiles and Shrikes.

In Operation Desert Storm, these missions were flown by F-4G's armed with AGM-88 HARM missiles.

Today SEAD is flown by block 50/52 F-16CJ equipped with AGM-88 missiles and HTS targeting pods.

Beirut
02-18-2006, 04:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronison:
This title really bothers me.

Because it sure wasn't during WWII </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the term. Sounds cool and appropriate to the mission.

Then again they weren't flying PC flightsims in WWII either, so what can I say...

LameDuck.
02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
In this game it should be called
Select your Coffin
Because I'm getting hammered! I can survive the first pass in QMB ~%50-%75 of the time, but the second pass...0. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

VF-29_Sandman
02-18-2006, 03:12 PM
put the crosshairs just a bit under the aaa gun during approach. u will get bagged in a hurry if u just make a straight in approach. in this way, the gun shoots over u instead. at the last second, bring the nose up, and plaster his a$$ with a 'shrike'.

Akronnick
02-18-2006, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
put the crosshairs just a bit under the aaa gun during approach. u will get bagged in a hurry if u just make a straight in approach. in this way, the gun shoots over u instead. at the last second, bring the nose up, and plaster his a$$ with a 'shrike'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and by 'shrike' you mean 5" HVAR right?