PDA

View Full Version : Manual Targeting

gadflyjs
03-11-2006, 03:34 AM
Never use Manual Targeting, so want to ask some questions about it.
I try to learn it by using "Wazoo's Manual Charting & Targeting Tutorial [v 2.3]", however it doesn't mention anything about targeting at night. How could you make recognition at night? I can't even see the damned ship!

Thanks in advance. I may come up more questions, so thank you for your patience.

U734
03-11-2006, 03:38 AM
I wait the distance to be some <1500 to start identifying the ship;
If you aren't able to do that even at small distances maybe you should correct your display settings (brightness and/or contrast) and/or do the same in your nVIDIA Control Panel (if you have a nVIDIA videocard of course).

gadflyjs
03-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Thank you! But, That's it?! Increase the brightness is not an option for a real captain in sea without any light sources, right?

Is there other way? or just give up attack at dark?

Dugong_sea_cow
03-16-2006, 05:37 AM
If its night have a Watch Officer on the bridge to call out the bearing and range of the target. Seems he can see the ships from around 6km away. Then you can plot the target course and move yourself into position where you can easily identify the target as you are lined up for a shot and waiting...

I like using the wazoo guide just for plotting enemy course. From this I work out the angle of bow only. I still use the timer on the notepad to determine the speed as I like to take many quick target fixes -it being easy to do with the watch officer calling them out while u are in the plotting room.

The_Silent_O
03-16-2006, 05:43 AM
I get the impression that later in the war, real U-boat captains really didn't bother trying to identify ship, inasmuch as it's nationality.

Normally they would just set there torpedos for impact and fire them at 3-4 meters or so at the shapes.

It you read some of the log books all they mention is "...fired spread at large cargo"

But for the game, if you can identify it, fine, if not...set for 4 meters and fire for impact (after you are certain it is enemy).

As far as friend or foe, I thought the German nation put out rules about lights on board if it was an Axis ship.