PDA

View Full Version : Start Points

henkslayer41
05-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I was wondering, at the beginning of the XO6 demo of Assassin's Creed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOk5j-iGuTM) it seems as if the character stands at a startpoint that are used in lineair platform or adventure games. In this case I'd best compare it to Super Mario Sunshine, where you are transported to a free roaming level (it isn't too much of free roaming in that game, I know, but officially it is). While it's obvious you won't be transformed in a physical way as in Super Mario Sunshine by portals, in the beginning of the trailer, it seems as if you will in some sort of way. Perhaps by movie scenes that connect the levels in a logical way, as done in for example Splinter Cell. So that Damascus won't be 100 meter away from Jeruzalem. With that as a reason to do so, it's good. But I still question if I prefer one free roaming game, like in GTA, but then on scale and without a logically sense of order, or apart from each other levels only connected by movie scenes but historicly correct. Then I'd eventually certainly would prefer the last one, as the first one would mean you can't backtrack unless there are cheap menus or a small caricature that roams a maplike world like in Mario World (that was a joke..). Maybe I'm just dragging, and the start points are divided over one big world, and you start at one of the divided startpoints after you've reseted the console (like in Zelda), but the fact they just turn the camera a few inches to the left and the right and won't turn in 180 degrees, scares me a little bit.

What do you think, is it one big world, or is it maybe even officially released if it is or isn't ?

knife_X
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I didnt understand anything what you said but I dont think startpoints are anything to worrey about at this point actually on any point start points couldent care me less!

bobbylucifer1
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
From what i've read of the interviews the maps are going to be pretty huge so i wouldn't worry to much over that. Oh and again from the interviews etc it sounds like there will be alot of free roaming aswell, so its very unlikely you'll be forced to go somewhere then be unable to return later. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I hope that answers your questions but it's kind of hard to make out what you're asking.

randman2007
05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Henkslayer41,

What you wrote was a bit long, but I understood exactly what you said. I don't know if you've ever played Oblivion, but that's what I imagine the start points to be like. You wake up where you shut down previously. This is all just speculation on my part... speculation and hope.

Yes, he started off in a very definite spot on the demo. The city was just off in the distance. His horse was right next to him. But I would also think they the developers / designers knew that they were giving an appearance and thought "we need to save this in a good spot to show the audience."

I'd be slightly disappointed if the wake up / shut down cycle worked like that of zelda. I'd be even more disapointed if the place selection was like that of Mario or... Mega Man or something like that.

Karl_93
05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
I think it might be like whereever you save you start, or that there might be certain, "save places" like in GTA. But I doubt it's anything to worry over. They probably didn't turn the camera 180 degrees because
1. He was just checking if the controls were working.
2. He didn't need to.
or 3. There is something there we shouldn't see, like some ancient plaza that you will have to travel to later on in the game or something like that.

I highly doubt that they didn't turn around because there is "nothing there" lol, so ya basically free roam. The only thing I'm worried about is the release date http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

henkslayer41
05-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Was it that hard to read, I've read way less proper english on this forum. Ahh well..

I'd be not even slightly disappointed if they'll use the element you refered with megaman en I to zelda, randman2007. I'd be glad, very glad!

Imagine, that it really is one big free roaming world. Free roaming in the different towns apart from each other is one (unbelievale cool) thing, but traveling between the cities on your horse, meet some people on the way, or just gaze at the so cool done realistic medieval setting, that would be.....well, let's say that it's cooler then choosing levelmenus.

And oh, Bobbylucifer1, could you send me a link of those interviews, I'd like to read them, even if it doesn't say a thing about what I wanted to know.

Comfy_Numb
05-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Last night, in the bed, My dear Jade told me that the game will be a cheap copy of super mario. That sucks, doesn't it ?

bobbylucifer1
05-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll have a gander through my history at some point, and put them up for you when I find them but a good number of the ones i've seen have been posted on this site at some point. I've got revision at the moment (damn uni http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif ) but when I get a chance i'll put a link up for you

Barthe7ruth
05-20-2007, 03:28 AM
To include accurate distances between those cities would be ridiculous. I'm no expert with horses, but it's at least a few days hard riding between each of them. And it would have to either include other cities nearby or employ some kind of cheap boundary system (the kind of thing they claim to be going out of their way to avoid) to keep you on a straight path. Much better would be to have a certain amount of surrounding countryside with each city, with travel between them skipped over as a cut-scene or loading screen. Of course, I'm assuming in all of this that the cities themselves are their accurate sizes (for example, as big as Imperial city in Oblivion seems compared to previous games, it's smaller than the actual Old City of Jerusalem).

I really hope they don't have some kind of forced save-point system. I hate that ****. Let me save wherever I damn well please!

MicroBlue
05-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Barthe7ruth:
To include accurate distances between those cities would be ridiculous. I'm no expert with horses, but it's at least a few days hard riding between each of them. And it would have to either include other cities nearby or employ some kind of cheap boundary system (the kind of thing they claim to be going out of their way to avoid) to keep you on a straight path. Much better would be to have a certain amount of surrounding countryside with each city, with travel between them skipped over as a cut-scene or loading screen. Of course, I'm assuming in all of this that the cities themselves are their accurate sizes (for example, as big as Imperial city in Oblivion seems compared to previous games, it's smaller than the actual Old City of Jerusalem).

I really hope they don't have some kind of forced save-point system. I hate that ****. Let me save wherever I damn well please!

Yeah I agree with you, the maps should be as big as the cities werea t that time, but I really doubt if they will make the road between cites as far as in reality, it takes 5 houres in a car to get from Acre to Jerusalem, not talking about a horse http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

knife_X
05-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by MicroBlue:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barthe7ruth:

Yeah I agree with you, the maps should be as big as the cities werea t that time, but I really doubt if they will make the road between cites as far as in reality, it takes 5 houres in a car to get from Acre to Jerusalem, not talking about a horse http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol auto walk over night while you sleep... then you wake up and found out the gamr crashed hahaha!

Saudus
05-20-2007, 08:57 AM
lol... don't think that.

I think/hope that they will either use waypoints where you can "teleport" yourself to another waypoint or like the oblivion fast travel. Seriously doubt that they'll have roads between the cities. And i really really really doubt that they would then use acctual distances. This isn't flightsimulator ffs!!!

Btw just so you know Henkslayer41 it wasn't that nice reading your opening text SINCE it was ONE BIG CHAIN OF WORDS AND SENTENCES. Use some spaces in between and no1 complain....... just helping.........

henkslayer41
05-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Saudus:
lol... don't think that.

I think/hope that they will either use waypoints where you can "teleport" yourself to another waypoint or like the oblivion fast travel. Seriously doubt that they'll have roads between the cities. And i really really really doubt that they would then use acctual distances. This isn't flightsimulator ffs!!!

Btw just so you know Henkslayer41 it wasn't that nice reading your opening text SINCE it was ONE BIG CHAIN OF WORDS AND SENTENCES. Use some spaces in between and no1 complain....... just helping.........

I'll use that information for in the future. But still then, I don't get how spaces in between can help it to get it more understandable. It might get boring, but my point stays clear.

As for accurate distants, of course I don't ask that or even have the slightest idea that that's ever gonna happen. I'll be even happy when not, cause it would mean it gains cost of the quality of the surroundings.

But some roads and trails in between would be nice, even when it's not historical correct. Everything's better than loadingscreens or storyscenes to connect the different cities.

About when to start after you've reseted the game, I don't really care. Neither do I about how you'll have to save. For those who do worry about that, it's made clear several times that everything will be made out in a logical way. Like in PoP where the whole game is the prince telling you a story, and when you die he says "no, no, that didn't happen, let me tell you again. ". In this game they might do the same, then only with that memory theme. That also might count for saving, maybe if you want to save the piece of memory into the computer of that organisation or something (just making that up).