PDA

View Full Version : Codex Page 24 and Assassin's Creed Revelations [spoilers]

WegaZAC
10-31-2011, 10:56 AM
In Assassin's Creed II, there was written on 24th Codex page as follows:
Some days I miss my family... or at least the thought of them. I never knew my parents well, despite them both having lived within these walls. It was our way. Perhaps they were sad, though they showed no sign – it was not allowed. For my part, so much of my youth was spent in training, there was little time left to reflect upon the separation. And so when they were finally lost to me, it seemed no different than the passing of two strangers. Al Mualim had been as my father, and his was a weak and dishonest love, though at the time it seem enough – better, even. Or so I thought. Someday I will have a child – such is the way of our Order. And I will not make the same mistake. Nor any who call themselves an Assassin. We shall be allowed to love our children – and, in turn, to be loved. Al Mualim believed such attachments would weaken us – cause us to falter when our lives were on the line. But if we truly fight for what is just, does love not make such sacrifice simpler – knowing that we do so for their gain?

Now we know that Altair's mother died at birth, and Altair's father wanted to save Abbas' father, captured during the siege of Masyaf, so he went for exchange and let the enemy to slaughter him like a pig. Altair was 7. And he saw his father going out. He knew him and didn't want him to go. Abbas knew his father, too, and he was very important to him. He could not believe that his father commited suicide and he hated Altair, because he thought Altair lied about the whole thing.

What is the reason for the inconsequence?

LightRey
10-31-2011, 11:14 AM
May the Father of Misunderstanding guide you.
Lol, I see what you did there.

There are quite a few discrepancies between the novels and the games. If the games contradict the novels, then what the game says should be considered canon and what the novels say should be considered non-canon.

WegaZAC
10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
It's not about the novel. I have read this also in Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia, so the events are bound to be in Revelations. We played some in Instanbul, there was not much difference in the game (but we saw only Al Mualim's burial and moment when Altair went back from Mongolia).
When I read The Secret Crusade, I wished it was only Oliver Bowden's wild imagination.

LightRey
10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by WegaZAC:
It's not about the novel. I have read this also in Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia, so the events are bound to be in Revelations. We played some in Instanbul, there was not much difference in the game (but we saw only Al Mualim's burial and moment when Altair went back from Mongolia).
When I read The Secret Crusade, I wished it was only Oliver Bowden's wild imagination.
They're not going to be in Revelations. The earliest memory is the one shown in the gamescom demo.

WegaZAC
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
They're not going to be in Revelations.
Well, maybe this one not, we'll see. It still was the explanation of Abbas' hatred and his actions. There's still the question why it was changed in the encyclopedia? We cannot say it's not canon.

LightRey
10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They're not going to be in Revelations.
Well, maybe this one not, we'll see. It still was the explanation of Abbas' hatred and his actions. There's still the question why it was changed in the encyclopedia? We cannot say it's not canon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was confirmed that the earliest memory of Altaïr shown in the game is the one we saw a part of in the demo. There's not going to be anything from any earlier part of his life.

The encyclopedia merely states that they knew who their parents were, not that they had any kind of intimate bonds with them. That is not contradicted by the games. Besides, they might not have been close to their parents, but Altaïr's father apparently had quite a reputation, so it's very possible that regardless of whether they had a "proper" parent-child relationship, they could still have looked up and admired them, which would've been enough cause for these characters to have behaved as they did.

WegaZAC
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
I think the explanation is much simplier... It was just another Animus glitch! Seriously, someone has forgotten about the Codex. Your words make sense, I do not deny. But Altair stated: I never knew my parents well, despite them both having lived within these walls. If he knew who they were, he wouldn't write these words, because he would know they were dead.

LightRey, please tell me - are you really convinced it's all ok?

they could still have looked up and admired them, which would've been enough cause for these characters to have behaved as they did.
We know the relationship well, as Altair stated: when they were finally lost to me, it seemed no different than the passing of two strangers

Serrachio
10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Altair's mother and his father, Umar, would have probably lived within the walls of the fortress, perhaps his mother was an Assassin as well?

And when he said that it seemed no different than the passing of two strangers, it is probably to say that Altair never really had any bond with them, for his mother died when he was born, and his father wasn't allowed to love him like a proper parent.

LightRey
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I think the explanation is much simplier... It was just another Animus glitch! Seriously, someone has forgotten about the Codex. Your words make sense, I do not deny. But Altair stated: I never knew my parents well, despite them both having lived within these walls. If he knew who they were, he wouldn't write these words, because he would know they were dead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they could still have looked up and admired them, which would've been enough cause for these characters to have behaved as they did.
We know the relationship well, as Altair stated: when they were finally lost to me, it seemed no different than the passing of two strangers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then I would again refer to the fact that it's never stated either in the encyclopedia or the games that Altaïr cared. It was only Abbas that cared about his father.

WegaZAC
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WegaZAC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they could still have looked up and admired them, which would've been enough cause for these characters to have behaved as they did.
We know the relationship well, as Altair stated: when they were finally lost to me, it seemed no different than the passing of two strangers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then I would again refer to the fact that it's never stated either in the encyclopedia or the games that Altaïr cared. It was only Abbas that cared about his father. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's not the answer to the question, if you believe that everything is alright. Still, no explanation about Altair's words. So if it was forgotten, the rest about separation children and parents might be forgotten as well.

LightRey
10-31-2011, 01:57 PM
That's not the answer to the question, if you believe that everything is alright. Still, no explanation about Altair's words. So if it was forgotten, the rest about separation children and parents might be forgotten as well.
I thought the answer would be obvious. At this point there's no reason to assume that there's any contradiction between the games and the encyclopedia. There's no indication within either source that Altaïr had a strong emotional bond with his parents.

Lamb3rt1
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I think Wega is right. Ubisoft failed with changing this element of AC lore and what worse - doesn't want to admit this fail, insisting that WE are wrong, not them.

LightRey
10-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Lamb3rt1:
I think Wega is right. Ubisoft failed with changing this element of AC lore and what worse - doesn't want to admit this fail, insisting that WE are wrong, not them.
You're jumping to conclusions. This discrepancy is caused purely by what's written in the novels and it's by far not the only one. The novels are riddled (I'm exaggerating a little here) with contractions with the actual story. This is merely one of them and they're simply there because Oliver Bowden is given relative creative freedom and the story can often undergo last-minute changes before a game is released.

WegaZAC
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
There's no indication within either source that Altaïr had a strong emotional bond with his parents. It's not about emotional bond, when Altair writes I never knew my parents well, despite them both having lived within these walls. What is here not clear? It suggests they both lived and Altair knew them. And then someone stated, that his mother died at childbirth. There is inconsequence.

So we can assume the page in Codex was simply forgotten when creating encyclopedia or Revelations.

LightRey
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
There's no indication within either source that Altaïr had a strong emotional bond with his parents. It's not about emotional bond, when Altair writes I never knew my parents well, despite them both having lived within these walls. What is here not clear? It suggests they both lived and Altair knew them. And then someone stated, that his mother died at childbirth. There is inconsequence.

So we can assume the page in Codex was simply forgotten when creating encyclopedia or Revelations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well Altaïr's mother did live within the walls of Masyaf. Altaïr's father died when he was quite young too. I very much doubt that he actually knew either of them by more than just their names. He specifically states that he didn't know them well even though they lived within the same walls. That means that he didn't know them, but he could have, had he taken the chance. His mother died during childbirth, so she died as a stranger to him and his father died when he was 7(?), while he was already being raised by the ways of the order, meaning he had little to no contact with him. They both died as strangers to him, even though they lived within the same walls. There is no contradiction, at best there is a mild suggestion of a possible contradiction, but that gives little reason to assume there is one.

Sarari
10-31-2011, 02:51 PM
This maybe my favorite codex page.