PDA

View Full Version : QTE in AC2

Riiku2
03-29-2010, 12:46 AM
For those who dont know, QTE stands for Quick Time Events, and represented by the events where you have to quickly press certain buttons during sequences or cutscenes. AC2 also have some of QTE, but I have a major bone to pick with them.

Imagine: The sequence starts, I move away from the monitor, resting myself on the chairs backrest (or putting my pad away on the couch if i'm plating on console), watching it. Then suddenly QTE icon shows up. I quickly grab mouse/keyboard/pad but doesnt make it, missing the button. Wtf? I know the game continuies after that, but it still leaves a feel of failing after that. And the game is saved after the sequence and you cant go back to retry it. How about warning us that QTE is coming up? Or how about making success in them a mandatory, and if you fail the sequence would restart.

Alot of games fail in this regard, it ****es me off.

adarwinter
03-29-2010, 01:08 AM
yeah, im with u on that one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

there are no implications for not pressing that button but still - i am totally not ready for the button presses (as they are too rare to always concider) and i am all relaxed in my chair watching the... BOOM, PRESS HEAD BUTTON! WHATS THE HEAD BUTTON?? WHERES MY MOUSE?? OH ITS ON THE KEYBOA.... oh, it's gone...

bokeef04
03-29-2010, 03:18 AM
then what would be the point of having them? the whole point of them is much like the glitches in AC1, would you rather it paused on that screen and asked you to press the button before it would continue?

@adarwinter: you say the combat is too easy, then complain because the game asked you to press a button quickly? that confuses me, so you want combat to be harder, but these tiny insignificant QTE's to be easier then they already are?

I'm sorry if i don't understand, but i thought QTE were meant to be just that, quick, involving the player to pay attention and react quickly

El_Sjietah
03-29-2010, 06:24 AM
A warning for a warning? That makes sense.

Just don't put your controller away, problem solved. It's not like they matter anyway.

Riiku2
03-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Yes, bokeef04, you misunderstood a bit. QTE isnt hard at all. In fact it is easy to react and press the right buttons. What we complain about is the time when those QTE happens. I would understand if they happend right during the gameplay (like in God of War for example), but to have them during cutscenes, when I usually relax and use that chance to rest my spine and fingers, and not expecting them. I dont consider this a challenge at all. A challendge is somthing you try to accomplish. How can I try to accomplish something I dont expect?

bokeef04
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
maybe they should have just done them like DDR then, have them fall down the screen and you press it either before it reaches the bottom, or when it reaches a little circle towards the bottom of the screen

i see the whole point of QTE to be quick and without warning, one of the best i can remember is an old PS game(think it was just called D) the buttons flashed on the screen for half a second and that was it, there was practically no room for error, nowadays they slow them down and take the challenge out of them, consequences is what makes it rewarding.

a_non_moose
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Actually the only 1/2 way decent ones were in Max Payne 1 and 2, but they were more story boards.

Honestly the AC series has the second worst of the lot of games with them:

First, unskippable = unforgiveable and horrible design.

Second and unlike the last Tomb Raider I played takes the cake for horrible design where you had do go up to a ledge during the event and it gave a random arrow key, which beats out AC because 1/2 the time it seems when the camera aid trys to "help" and it seems sometimes directions behave normally, others not so much.

Only saving grace is the QTE's in AC2 don't have any consequence. Nice touch, but entirely pointless.

So 1/2 a point for no consequences, but major point loss for unskippable cutscenes and inability to replay specific memories.

At least AC1 could replay, but having to sit thru 2+ minutes of QTE is just utter nonsense.