PDA

View Full Version : Taxxing problems in Hurricane Mk. I

arjisme
11-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Inspired by the GD discussion on user-made campaigns, I got Battle over Britain and have been getting acquainted with the Hurricane Mk. I. One thing I have run into though is when I taxi around on it, it will suddenly nose over. At first I thought I was going either too fast or drifted off the taxiway, but I was just trying again and, from a dead stop, I carefully added throttle until the plane just started to creep forward, then backed off the throttle a bit (to about 30%). I did not touch the brakes, the plane barely moved forward and then suddenly rotated over onto its nose. This doesn't happen all the time. Typically, I have just landed after a mission, and then I leave the runway for the taxiway. I will be going down the taxiway and, without warning, the plane will nose over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a bug in the game or am I doing something wrong here?

VW-IceFire
11-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Check to see if your brake key is sticky or something like that. Hurricanes are pretty darn stable on the ground unless you give them too much power...then they nose over like Spitfires.

arjisme
11-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks, I'll check into the input devices. I use the toe brakes on my CH Pro Pedals to brake & I know I wasn't pressing those. In fact, my feet were off the pedals. I was rolling forward very slowly when it nosed over.

Thing that's strange is it only ever happens on the taxiway. Also of interest is that I can apply the brakes fairly heavily on landings w/o nosing over. It never feels hyper sensitive to having the brakes applied, except when it does this nose over stunt. Then it is like the plane suddenly became nearly weightless or something and rotates as if by a gust of wind.

sparty7200
11-13-2005, 03:43 PM
I've noticed the same thing...it's like rolling over a speed hump!
.no brakes, 22% throttle, pitch 85%...WALLOP...nose over http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif.

IIJG69_Kartofe
11-13-2005, 03:52 PM
The brakes on the Ch pro pedals work with PF ??

I've heard they are not implemented in the game.

VW-IceFire
11-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Well I'll go have a test with this and see if something has changed...

Just to be clear...its a Hurricane Mark I that only has this problem? I've only been flying the Mark IIb and IIc recently so maybe thats it?

arjisme
11-13-2005, 06:16 PM
I can't say it is only the Mk. I that has this problem. I have only been flying the Mk. I in this campaign, so I have no info on the other variants.

sparty7200 describes it well -- like going over a speed bump. The first time it happened to me, I immediately went to the outside view to look at the ground. I thought I must have hit something, but there was nothing but pavement there.

Petey78
11-17-2005, 08:13 AM
I had something similar happen in a Corsair the other day. Put it on the deck, caught the wire rolled to a stop with the tailwheel on the runway and the engine idling and then BAM! Like there was a pnuematic ram under the tailwheel. Broken prop and engine inoperable... It only happened once but I saved a track of it.

arjisme
11-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I was wondering if it isn't some kind of map problem. In the first couple of missions (still in England) in the campaign, if I taxi toward one end of the airfield on the taxiway, I seem to always do this flip at the same spot. Sorry, I don't recall which direction is which, but the runway is on my right, the hangars on on my left. Very soon after I pass the tower, it does this flip. I've looked with external view, though, and there is no obvious thing that could cause it to do this. If I choose to taxi to the other end (with runway on my left) and park down there, I seem to do fine. So this is what I've settled on doing.

ElAurens
11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by IIJG69_Kartofe:
The brakes on the Ch pro pedals work with PF ??

I've heard they are not implemented in the game.

You can map your brakes to one or the other brake pedal pots, but they do not work like real differential brakes, you still must apply rudder pedal in the direction you want to turn when applying the pedal. The variable pot works nicely for modulating brake pressure though.

Be sure to check for a spiking pot though. I've had one go bad and it caused me 2 days of trying to figure out why I was ripping off landing gear on every touchdown...LOL!

BSS_Vidar
11-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Yes, CH Pedals work with brakes, but via only one axis. I have the left toe-brake assigned to the brake axis. I can apply as much braking as I wish and control differential braking by appling rudder. It works like **** ever since 4.01 came out, but it's still there.

Tip for taking off in a Spit/Hurricane:

Start your roll at about 50% power till you get about 30MPH for rudder authority. Allways keep full back preasue on the elevator throughout the take-off... and even the landing roll outs. While you're taking off, the plane will gently get airboarn from all three wheeles and will cut down dinging the prop significanly.

Give dat a try.

~S~