PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or does the FW-190A seem to hold speed better?

Zacast
11-13-2004, 09:18 AM
I got pacific fighters 2 days ago and tried out the 190 yesterday. Maybe I'm just imagining things but I swear it seems to be holding speed better in turns. It doesn't feel like it drops most of it's speed after a 180 the way it did (for me) before.

Has anyone else seen / felt this?

Zacast
11-13-2004, 09:18 AM
I got pacific fighters 2 days ago and tried out the 190 yesterday. Maybe I'm just imagining things but I swear it seems to be holding speed better in turns. It doesn't feel like it drops most of it's speed after a 180 the way it did (for me) before.

Has anyone else seen / felt this?

Heavy_Weather
11-13-2004, 09:37 AM
it used to be the A-5 model, i havent tested any LW aircraft since getting PF. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

KGr.HH-Sunburst
11-13-2004, 09:42 AM
yes the A6 feels very nice now ,FW holds E a little better now

also the Dora accellerates faster now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zacast
11-13-2004, 09:49 AM
It seems like it's happening with all focke wulfs. What surprised me the most was how I could take an A8 and make at least 2 beam attacks on a flight of B-17s (doing 180 degree reversals after the pass) and still maintain an attack speed somewhere above 500 KPH on the firing runs.

That nasty muzzle flash being gone is absolutely wonderful btw :P

OldMan____
11-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Much people is noticing same kind of thing in several planes.

despites oleg´s word on no changes on Flyght model, somethign must have changed (intentionally or not) in the physics simmulation dynamics or input system. Most people noticed the game as more fluid, and many also noticed much more CPU agressive. Need much more research, but something seems to be reducing the effect of sharp commands and like, so planes like 190 that suffered from excessive E loss on small instant control actions now retain E much better. Even a more fine grained time step could have achieved such results. But no one but C1 team can answer that (and by my experience as developer.. sometimes not even them)

Hunde_3.JG51
11-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Despite what some others say, it is obvious to many that all planes from AEP became easier to fly after PF install, not just the FW-190. Oleg mentioned before about "hundreds of small changes" and about "more precise calculations" so there were changes IMO and it seems very obvious in-game. Try the La-5, P-38, Mig-3U, etc., they are all easier to fly now (not that they, or any plane were difficult to fly before).

OldMan____
11-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I would not say easier, since for anyone with a few hours of practice the only plane that was remotely presenting any difficulty were the Antons. Every other plane had ZERO difficulty level.

I would say now flight is SMOOTHER and controls are less nervous. I would say in overal cahnges are for the better, simmulation looks much more fluid, although these changes may require that some planes have their FM data revisited for adjustments. I think FW190 are EXACTLY what everyone ever tought they should be, so you do not need special joy calibration for 190 flying neither a piano master touch.

Some new planes seems strange, but I can´t say anything about being right or wrong.. the can be exactly like that (due to good L Speed handling required for carrier) or not.. can´t say. have no pilot experience.. but lot of physics simulation programmer.. and things look better as when I implement a better integration method on my simmulation, almost like the jump from euler method to Improved Euler method.

TX-Gunslinger
11-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I agree, sir. They have all changed and are just a bit smoother to manipulate.

Everything is smoother. It feels to me as if the "sharp corners" in the stall curves have been rounded off.

The energy bleed feels damped down a little bit. But, a little bit feels like a whole lot if you've been flying this sim for a while.

I think the Corsairs are good examples of what you are all referring too. In real life, I believe they were more like 190's than say, Spits, Mustangs or LA's. They were VERY fast with very high rates of climb, dive and good roll, but they were quirky with respect to stall. Radial engines, big ailerons, etc....

The flight characteristics of the Corsairs are very docile now in this sim/game. They are easy to fly, for me, compared to the old FW FM. I can't ever decide if the modelers tend over-empasize differences in aircraft just to make sure people notice that the flight models are different or what, as:

1) I am not a real pilot
2) Even if I were a real pilot, I did'nt fly these aircraft 60 years ago

I won't say which extreme is better or worse, as I have flown long enough to know that happiness with the product has more to do with adaptability than anything else. I want to be happy with the sim becuase I care about the community, love to participate and really believe that the IL2 series is supremely ahead of every other like product by a long shot. Therefore I decided a while back to not argue my perception of history and aircraft characteristics so much, and just try to fly my virtual aircraft as well as I can.

It really is more about the pilot, than the plane.

But that does'nt make me love my FW-190 any less, in fact only more because learning to fly in it, with all it's challenges has certainly made me a better pilot.

OldMan____
11-13-2004, 03:19 PM
for sure indeed. Now with a decent E loss, no muzzle flash and soon incendiary ammo at german 7.92 mm guns.. the Buther Bird will be invinclible!! May send the corsairs, mustangs , even Tomcats if you want.. we have no fear anyomre :P