PDA

View Full Version : Do you reload a save when you die or start a new career?

Liddabit
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
My sonar man fell asleep and I didn't get any warning that I had a destroyer on me until it was 300 yards away while I was 20m underwater, and BAM I was dead so fast from depth charges.

It made me wonder, this game puts heavy emphasis on realism, and it seems so does this community with all the mods. So do you all start new careers when this happens? or do you just reload :P?

Kaleun1961
02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
The diehards, me included, play by rules known as "Dead is Dead" [DiD.] This means you don't get to reload from a saved game, just because you got stupidly aggressive or your gamble shot against a destroyer failed and you got clobbered. Some people make exceptions for time compression accidents, because time compression is something that wasn't available in real life and can be forgiven. If my Kaleun dies, or is retired by SH3 Commander, I start a new career at the time when the previous one ended. This gives me exposure to the course of events over the duration of the entire war.

VikingGrandad
02-22-2007, 04:23 PM
I play DiD, with the exception of silly gameplay accidents caused as a result of time compression, talking on the phone, etc.

Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
If my Kaleun dies, or is retired by SH3 Commander, I start a new career at the time when the previous one ended. This gives me exposure to the course of events over the duration of the entire war.

The prospect of never experiencing the later stages of the war has been the reason I've never used the 'realistic career length' in SH3 Commander. That's a neat way around the problem.

Stingray-65
02-22-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm playing by [DiD] rules. I'm only on my 2nd career; I haven't been playing as long or as much as some ppl here. But when I get killed (excepting time compression accidents) I start a new career in 1939. I've yet to make it into 1942. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

HeibgesU999
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Start a new career.

I wish they had an Eternal Patrol like the original Silent Hunter where all your lost ships and captains were listed.

[]_---_[] KITT
02-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I used to reload a save game whenever i dies. Recently i've decided not to.

But i think reloading a save game is fine under certain conditions:
1. You left your PC
2. You didn't pay attention AT ALL/were busy at something else

People make mistakes by neglect. And this is 'forgiven' in my opinion.

make sure to:
1. Pause the game when u are not in your desk
2. Pay full attention when playing. If you're bored then don't play http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

In short i wouldn't reload a save game if I died because of my own decision/in action. As this will encourage me to be sloppy in game.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
02-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
The diehards, me included, play by rules known as "Dead is Dead" [DiD.]

Yep... I'm a DiD as well!

Liddabit
02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Interesting! are the time compression accidents where the game suddenly locks up when time compressed and no amount of clicking will take it off time compression :P? I crashed into wilhemshaven with that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AWesome name and sig VikingGranddad! My current captain is Kiska Wolfdottir... which I just made up for vikingness after seeing the kiel location and the longship look the uboats have! And I know I know, there were no girl uboat captains.. but phooey :P! I just need to find a good 40s portrait for my captain in SH commander http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I am tempted just to photoshop a captain hat on Veronica Lake. :P

Kaleun1961
02-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Time compression accidents are such things as running into land, when clearly in real life you would have seen the danger in time to avoid it. Another might be the sudden bouncing by an aircraft or enemy vessel under long range visibility conditions. The game calculates the positions of various vessels and aircraft at intervals or "ticks," rather than in a continuous stream. Such calculations would probably require huge resources and bog down a game tremendously. So, the positions of various items are calculated at intervals. Between intervals, an object can move many miles, depending on the level of compression. Sometimes a calculation takes place very close to you, which leaves you practically no time to react before the event is upon you. In real life, under ideal conditions of visibility, a competent watch crew could see an aircraft well enough in advance to dive away. In game terms, the first tick could be just beyond your visual range, then the next tick takes place when the plane is 500 metres away. Obviously, a real plane does not warp the intervening distance, but in game terms it does. If you get clobbered because of the vagaries of interval calculations, it is permissible to reload.

This phenomenon can also work in your favour. Planes that might spot you actually ignore you because they get warped past your position. This is something that can be exploited, for instance, by jacking up the time compression while traversing the Bay of Biscay. Voila, no pesky flugzeugen to harrass you as you sail to the Atlantic or return.

Liddabit
02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Ahah!

I was just googling for a suitable picture for my SH commander profile... with no luck.. but I stumbled across the picture in your avatar and found out who he is! Fascinating! I am learning so much history from this game.

WilhelmSchulz.
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Im a diehard DID.

lecek
02-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I am DiD as well.

Crosseye76
02-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Both.

I have one career that's strictly DID. I also have 2 or so careers that are just for fun. They let me try new boats, new weapons, play with different tactics, and explore the world.

SH III is a very complex, immersive game and even after all this time I still have not seen or done it all. So DID for "serious" patrols, Save and Load for fun and adventure !!

Antrodemus
02-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm a diehard copout... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I struggle enough to find time to even play SH3 these days, or any game for that matter, so I'm afraid I'm a reload freak. If I played DiD, I'd be lucky to see the end of my career in 2025, just in time for "Silent Hunter 17 - The Mars Conflict".

Bonesattack
02-23-2007, 02:28 AM
I play on 100% realism....if my torp misses a juicy target, I reload...until I sink it!

that my be considered cheating but I get a heck of a lot of practice when ever I reload.

recently my targeting has improved so I only save when I'm about to enter Scapa Flow or if I'm in mid patrol & need to make coffee & stuff.

I take my had off to all you DiD 's on the forum!

hueywolf123
02-23-2007, 04:39 AM
I play at 89% realism + DiD, I'm now on my third career. My first Kaleun was retired after surviving to '43, second was last seen hand feeding crabs, I'm still on my third, now '41, three patrols and evading DD's like an expert (not)

demigod151
02-23-2007, 05:53 AM
I play on 52% realism as for me that is the perfect balance of realistic and gaming enjoyment.

I play DID though I will reload if I am the victim of time compression in any way. So basically if an aircraft pops up at me 150m away I will reload. However if I get bombed to hell by depthcharges and don't survive then that's that as well. Though, this has never happened to me yet. I always get away, eventually.

I play DID but I would do what K1961 does, I would continue on from the point the old captain died. Having said that, I think if I was in a situation whereby I knew I was a goner, I would surface and surrender the boat rather than get everybody killed.

klcarroll
02-23-2007, 07:02 AM
"Dead-Is-Dead" is probably the way to go if you're a 75%+ Realism Type who is thoroughly experienced with the game, history, and tactics.

If you are still learning, however, I think "DID" is a mistake: .....Most of the "Newbie causes of death" relate to inexperience or ignorance, and "DID" robs you of the opportunity to push back, think about the failure, and then try it again.

When I was learning the game, I saved VERY frequently, ....and when I did get killed, I would go back again and again until I understood what went wrong, and what to do about it!

Very few of us would be very effective adults if "DID" kind of thinking had been applied to our first efforts to walk as children: .....You simply have to be able to pick yourself up and try the exact same thing over again!

logman01
02-23-2007, 11:09 AM
I admit it! I reload!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I guess it is the game tester in me, I like exploring the possibilities and limitations of a game and then go back and play it seriously. I am not sure if I will have the time to do that, since once I am done with the stock game I will install GWX and take that for a spin. About that time SH4 will be out and I will have to work on that.

To all your purests out there...bless your heart! I just want to make it to 1945.

Antrodemus
02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
You simply have to be able to pick yourself up and try the exact same thing over again!

lol... indeed.

"Mum! Can you give birth to me all over again, I seem to have fallen, and it would be so unrealistic for me to stand up and try again."

TheRealPotoroo
02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I reload. Otherwise I'd still be sailing in 1939!

demigod151
02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I reloaded today, I was the victim of a hurricane TC attack!

Carotio
02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Since I spend too much time on modding, so I like the game my way or adding new mods and making them compatible with previous mods etc etc, I have yet to try playing from and with 1942 and forwards.

So I DGAF for DiD! IRL I can play DiD, when I'm Dead!

Kaleun1961
02-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Antrodemus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You simply have to be able to pick yourself up and try the exact same thing over again!

lol... indeed.

"Mum! Can you give birth to me all over again, I seem to have fallen, and it would be so unrealistic for me to stand up and try again." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah! But in real life if you do something stupid like swallow poison or stick metal objects in electrical outlets [both of which I did as a kid] you can't reload after saying, "that was a dumb thing to do."

Antrodemus
02-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Ah! But in real life if you do something stupid like swallow poison or stick metal objects in electrical outlets [both of which I did as a kid] you can't reload after saying, "that was a dumb thing to do."

No, but the point is you learn from the experience. Or at least, I hope you did... either that or I'm talking to a ghost. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Kaleun1961
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't believe I survived some of the things I did as a kid. When I was about four or five, I swallowed bleach from my parents' grocery cart. My Dad turned around to find me with the bottle up to my lips. This was around 1964-5, before childproof containers were developed. I remember being rushed to the hospital and having my stomach pumped.

My parents were the superintendants of our building. My Dad had a board with key blanks, for making apartment keys. I used to grab some and experiment with sticking them into the wall outlets. I remember doing it more than once, getting a jolting tingle travel up my arm. My older brother caught me doing it once and slapped me a good one upside the head and told me he would really kick my *** if he caught me doing it again.

In games we get to be much bolder than real life people. We can afford to play around with staying on the surface to shoot it out with a plane. In real life, an incoming plane was a terror to U-boat men. A few skippers managed to pull off closing shots on destroyers, but I bet they needed a change of laundry afterward.

wm4668
02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Reload every time (not that it happens too often). I tried DiD for a few Kaleuns after my first 1939-45 lower realism runthrough. Sailing 4-5 patrols and dying somehow spoilt the experience for me. Still only play on 69% realism as I admit that the manual calcs required for unassisted targetting would mean most of my sightings being on the return trip before I could shoot (maths never my strong point), plus I leave external camera on for screenies. Besides, having got hold of a Type XXI on my first career but still being too green to fully utilise its capabilities , I'm looking forward to getting far enough to buy one and see how I get on with her with my improved experience.

PhantomKira
02-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Reload. I'd like to get to the end of the war, and to experience the different boats available. If I didn't, I'd never get much into 43 for sure. Heck, got killed on my 2nd 94% patrol just the other day!

geoffwessex
02-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Well, I was a re-loader for my first two careers - eventually reached 1945 in them, getting to drive the XXI.

Then again, I've just started a brand new career in 1939 with GWX and the 1.02 patch - only found one target in three weeks, so I got a bit silly and tried an attack on a straight-running destroyer (I'd done it successfully about five times before). This time I fired from 2000m - I set for impact because I did as the radio messages advised (I think) in not using magnetic pistols on anything less than about 4000 tonnes. Anyway, the two fish missed and the DD reversed his course. I thought it might be just coincidence so I fired two more. He swung toward me and stayed on a straight course without zig-zagging. OK, I thought, I'll give him two more - no idea what happened to them but they missed and, within half an hour, he'd got me. End of career. So, I think, on this occasion, I'll start again. Just this once. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bit worrying about the lack of targets, though. Wilhelmshaven was quite empty, too. I wonder if my installed mods worked. If all patrols are going to be so short of targets, perhaps I'll go back to plain GWX without the 1.02 patch.