PDA

View Full Version : So...skins are a thing of the past?

Hawgdog
10-04-2004, 07:43 AM
I dont see any servers allowing custom skins.
Further (this really cracks me up) they let AI planes and have four dozen trip A on the ground and say custom skins make too much lag! pfffft
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/plane.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/plane1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/vertical.jpg

Hawgdog
10-04-2004, 07:43 AM
I dont see any servers allowing custom skins.
Further (this really cracks me up) they let AI planes and have four dozen trip A on the ground and say custom skins make too much lag! pfffft
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/plane.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/plane1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/vertical.jpg

T_O_A_D
10-04-2004, 07:48 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

F19_Orheim
10-04-2004, 08:15 AM
yeah it's too bad-- I started out with Skins download on F19_Cr@pGalore but due to some warping problems I turned it off... Now it is smooth as silk.... I LOVE skins but not on the cost of bad flying..

Hawk_9th
10-04-2004, 09:10 AM
The 1024 lay out hurt more then it helped i think. the skins look better but no uses them any more so its all default skins lol

georgeo76
10-04-2004, 09:34 AM
I never cared about skins. Now, I like them. I've even painted a few, but never used them in-game. I fly cockpit-only and can't see my opponent's skin well, and only see my wing. They make nice screen shots, but the way I fly and fight, there irrelevant.

Osirisx9
10-04-2004, 09:47 AM
BTW Birds of Prey does allow custom skins. And the server runs just fine when there is a full house. All we ask is that there are no clown skins

RAF238thOsiris

TheJoyStick
10-04-2004, 09:49 AM
I rely on my camo skins heavily, so if the server disables them, or people don't DL them til late in the game, I have a harder time putting things down.

Hawgdog
10-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Yes, skins do make a difference even with closed cockpit. Theres some like the P-39, I-16 that are that dam green color, and on winter maps they stick out like dark dots, on the ground or if you're under one.
bring back the 512x512 skins!!
IL2 skins is on its death bed LOL

lil_labbit
10-04-2004, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
yeah it's too bad-- I started out with Skins download on F19_Cr@pGalore but due to some warping problems I turned it off... Now it is smooth as silk.... I LOVE skins but not on the cost of bad flying.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you SURE it was skin d/l that gave lag ?
I have them on when hosting and the DO NOT induce lag here...
The 25mm AAA does however (any that have smoke-trails realy - like ships http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) - ooh boy PF has ships...
80+ mm AAA does a far better job - no lag then (if you don't over-do it)...

Zen--
10-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Many people, myself included, experience freezes when coming into firing range of enemy planes when skin DL is on. I don't have this problem when I host for some reason, but everytime I am on a DL on server I get this freeze.

I love the 1024 skins but they are pretty much useless online, which is a shame because they look so nice. Hopfully in PF they will be suable after all.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
10-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I love custom skins and I wish I could see them all. But they caused so much lag and it took so long for the game to download them that I had to turn it off.

A possible suggestion for the development team is to have the server stream the skins in only when you are in the flight map area (i.e. on a dogfight server). It'll tell you in a little window that skins are being downloaded and how long to completion. If you click fly...then all downloads are stopped and they will resume when you hit refly the next time.

xTHRUDx
10-04-2004, 11:40 AM
it will be interesting DL'ing 127 people's skins at once if hat is the case.

RedDeth
10-04-2004, 12:07 PM
AFJ Server allows skins.

skins are not what causes the screen freezes on peoples sixes.

the most common reason for that is you allow too many flyable planes in a server.

limit your maps to 25 planes and have each flyable as a static somewhere on the map.

that will completely eliminate screen freeze and youll feel good about using skins once again

SKINS ARE A SCAPEGOAT FOR LAGG. skins aint the problem folks..... folks are the problem

georgeo76
10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
P39s as well, but on a winter map all AC stick out like sore thumbs, regardless of color. Besides, @ the range where it matters, All AC look the same, regardless of type or color. I don't think that skins make a difference when the AC is represented by a 2 pixel dot. When your close enough that the AC begins to be drawn you'd better have spotted him already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawgdog:
Yes, skins do make a difference even with closed cockpit. Theres some like the P-39, I-16 that are that dam green color, and on winter maps they stick out like dark dots, on the ground or if you're under one.
IL2 skins is on its death bed LOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

adlabs6
10-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Too bad that the IL2 engine doesn't allow for the BMP skins to be compressed before transfer, most 1024 res skins look ok as 100k jpgs, and are still half the size of 512 res bmp skins.

georgeo76
10-04-2004, 12:38 PM
here are two 109g2s, one in default white paint, and the other in black/gray @ 3k. it's hard to tell which is which, but easy to see how skin doesn't matter when spotting AC. (@ least on a winter map)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/georgeo76/skin.jpg

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-04-2004, 12:51 PM
BRING BACK WORKABLE SKIN DL!!!!

crazyivan1970
10-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Few reasons i wont bring back skins...

1) Lag - don`t lie to yourselfs.. skin download on = laggy server whenther you like it or not. Confirmed 10000 times.

2) Texture cheat, not a problem on relaxed servers, but try seeing plane on full switch server when skin creater used landscape textures. I`v seen it... it`s not pretty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

3) More people then you think can`t tell the difference between 109 and Spitfire, do you think they will have time to admire someones skins?

Bottom line, Skin download is useless, unless it`s relaxed server with external views. FR servers that turning it on, just asking for trouble. But i`ll leave it up to the hosts. Your server, your rules.

Cheers!

Hawgdog
10-04-2004, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgeo76:
P39s as well, but on a winter map all AC stick out like sore thumbs, regardless of color. Besides, @ the range where it matters, All AC look the same, regardless of type or color. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawgdog:
Theres some like the P-39, I-16 that are that dam green color, and on winter maps they stick out like dark dots, on the ground or if you're under one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a better graphics card! I run perfect settings and average 45fps online. I can certainly see a difference, I can spot a P-38 on the deck from 1800 no problem.

Ivan- skin cheats?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

crazyivan1970
10-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Never heard of it eh? Try to spot plane like that on server with no or really short icons

609IAP_Recon
10-04-2004, 02:57 PM
agreed, and as far as georgeo76 post, that is pixel distance there - it's an issue when you are closer and need to render the aircraft.

Hawgdog
10-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Nope.
And if, IF, I'm in a server and I suspect something less than proper- I bail, too many servers popping up all the time to tolerate anything

oh, and shorten your sig, you bandwidth eating foo! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

lil_labbit
10-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Ivan should know better than calling it cheat...

He means you can't make out a plane with copied game-trees-cammo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

That's what cammo is for Ivan ! roflmao !

crazyivan1970
10-04-2004, 03:20 PM
You calling it camo? I rest my case then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

georgeo76
10-04-2004, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hawgdog:
I run perfect settings and average 45fps online.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

congratulations

I can certainly see a difference, I can spot a P-38 on the deck from 1800 no problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice, but what's your point? are you saying you couldn't if it were painted white? 1.8k isn't that far away. And P-38s are pretty big

Let me start over. My point is that AC are easy to spot on winter maps regardless of their skin. they're easy to spot because moving black dots are easy to see against a white background. As you get closer, of course white AC are harder to make out than dark ones, but @ close range it doesn't matter because your talking about the difference between obvious and slightly less obvious.

I don't know about you, but I like to know who's around before they're 1.8km away. .

adlabs6
10-04-2004, 04:29 PM
I think that on winter maps, spotting is indeed easier.

As a 'former' skinner, I was interested at one point in making a camo that was effective for in the FB engine, history not withstanding. What I found, was that for near range, making skins match the ground was the most effective result. What I found interesting was that beyond a certain range, the lower LOD aircrafts all returned to a basic darker toned dot, even with light textures on them.

Aside from using ground copied camo without icons and padlock at closer ranges, I didn't see much camo effectiveness on my setup.

pacettid
10-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Ivan is right on...we did extensive testing on the FallenAngel's server and skin downloads are out...warping and lag are definitely a problem with them on.

clint-ruin
10-04-2004, 05:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adlabs6:
Too bad that the IL2 engine doesn't allow for the BMP skins to be compressed before transfer, most 1024 res skins look ok as 100k jpgs, and are still half the size of 512 res bmp skins. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are compressed using the texture compression setting used in your 3d graphics portion of il2setup.exe or your driver. I know that's not what you mean :&gt; .. but because many people will use different schemes [DXT/S3TC extensions, 16bit mode, custom driver optimised lowered texture levels, whatever], the game just sends the pure file instead. You can't render a .jpg to a 3d object, you would need to transfer it, then decompress it and generate 3x lods as BMPs from the source. You would probably swap a lag hit on slow connections for a frame rate hit on slow machines.

The lag effects people get when they get to close range of a custom skin is almost certainly caused by just not having the nearest LOD cached in RAM or VRAM at the time. Some graphics cards offer precaching tweaks via hidden registry settings [Nvidia users should download and use Rivatuners advanced registry control panel to turn this on].

OpenGL does not provide the game with an ability to tell which textures are currently sitting in your video cards memory. When it needs to load a new texture in, the texture is either going to come from the hard disk or from system RAM - both of which will cause a minor performance hit as it's loaded and transferred over. Don't forget that the 1mb of skin file is used to generate LOD/mipmap level skins as well, and they have to be transferred over too when needed.

The best thing I think that could be done is to have a 'skin pack', similar to 'map packs' that FPS servers will use. Just to make sure that anyone who's playing the game does not need any skins used transferred. Of course to make this work properly we'd need skin locking / custom pure server options added to the server portion of FB.

128 players using 128 different custom 1mb skins for 100 odd flyables in PF should be fun. Fun fun fun for dialup users :&gt;

One other thing - I think the skin transfer issue might be remebered as less bad in Il2 not just because of the 512x skins, but because there was less encryption used in the games network model, player per server, and other traffic going on at the same time for many players who remember it as a golden age.

Hawgdog
10-05-2004, 04:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgeo76:
I run perfect settings and average 45fps online.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

congratulations

I can certainly see a difference, I can spot a P-38 on the deck from 1800 no problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's nice, but what's your point? are you saying you couldn't if it were painted white? 1.8k isn't that far away. And P-38s are pretty big

Let me start over. My point is that AC are easy to spot on winter maps regardless of their skin. they're easy to spot because moving black dots are easy to see against a white background. As you get closer, of course white AC are harder to make out than dark ones, but @ close range it doesn't matter because your talking about the difference between obvious and slightly less obvious.

I don't know about you, but I like to know who's around before they're 1.8km away. . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whats my point? I made it. re read my post if you'd like or keep on pontificating your excellence

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 05:25 AM
It's hysteria and it's too bad. I suspect, for some people with not so good upload speeds on their internet connection and/or not so great computers, that skin downloads could be a bit of an issue.

I do think that those people that use ground textures as paint schemes are a bit pathetic but that doesn't change the fact that there is very little that you can "customize" about this game, as opposed to CFS, and skins are one of them. With this "skin download" hysteria, we can't even fly our favorite skin on-line anymore.

-btw, I did try that "static plane" thing, and I didn't get any improvement. Screen freezes when any player switched a/c still persisted but had nothing to do with skin d/l's though.

ElAurens
10-05-2004, 05:26 AM
I for one miss skins. Whenever I serve the DL lamp is lit. What we desperately need are some good default skins, for all aircraft, with all the proper markings (yes the German ones too, rules be ****ed). Nothing is worse than flying on a desert or winter map in a bright green aircraft. I sure hope the skins on the Zero are re-done for PF, because that bright chrome green is totally wrong....

And I must *choke* agree with RedDeth. If you are hosting on your home computer and have a standard cable connection, you are insane to have more than 14 flyable slots open. I have seen this on every server I have flown on. even the ones that say they are lag free. Get more than 15 or so players and things start breaking up. When I can hear someone elses compressed air flap deployment I know it's time to bolter ....

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
And I must *choke* agree with RedDeth. If you are hosting on your home computer and have a standard cable connection, you are insane to have more than 14 flyable slots open. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgr this

I found on my server that with 200 upstream, 18 ppl was the threshold. Skin Downloads on didn't make much noticeable difference one way or the other.

Once 18 ppl were exceeded, the server went downhill fast with slewing.

I also noticed that ONE player with a bad computer or bad connection seemed to translate problems to other players - again, skins didn't have much to do with this.

My provider has upped my upstream to about a steady 400, so, if I ever get the blazing magnums server back up and on line again, I will set for more players and Skins WILL be on, so show em off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

edit- got locked out in the middle of posting....some forum problem I think.

AFJ_Locust
10-05-2004, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
AFJ Server allows skins.

skins are not what causes the screen freezes on peoples sixes.

the most common reason for that is you allow too many flyable planes in a server.

limit your maps to 25 planes and have each flyable as a static somewhere on the map.

that will completely eliminate screen freeze and youll feel good about using skins once again

SKINS ARE A SCAPEGOAT FOR LAGG. skins aint the problem folks..... folks are the problem <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RED SKINS CAUSE LAG TRUST ME http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

I Love Skins especialy since Mantis makes such beutys but I never use skin DL or Upload & I get lots less pausing & junk altho there are some dirtbags who know how to make lag no mater what.

RedDeth
10-05-2004, 11:09 AM
PRE LOADING static planes only works if you also keep about 25 flyables or less. its a package guaranteed to eliminate screen freezes on peoples sixes...you know the ones that everyone screams printscreen??? yea those go away if you have 25 or less flyables and static planes of the flyables.

skins have NOTHING TO DO WITH LAGG once you fix this problem

lil_labbit
10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
I'll keep skins on - if I get lag (and after optimizing there is very little to none) I might reduce players from 16 down but then it's still going fine so far http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've measured up/download (my limits are 4Mbps down and 512kbps up) when hosting (only normal games - not dedicated) and the results were about 3kByte/s/player upload for the host.

It seems skin downloads are "smeared out" over time taking less bandwidth than I expected, and my cache is collecting them - so not all will have to be downloaded/uploaded (many players return and have their skins already in-cache).

Could it be the dedicated game handles skin d/l different ?

RedDeth
10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
locust you havent been in my server since i changed my maps to low flyables with preloaded statics. lagg and freeze are gone. forever. and i use skins. no lagg none nada zilch. for 3 days now . everyone says its a totally different server.

heck i could even watch videos while server is running and no lagg now...not that i would..

crazyivan1970
10-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Do as you please, it`s your servers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BM357_TinMan
10-05-2004, 11:21 AM
So the selection of planes has to be less than 25 types then? Is that what you are sayng?

I'm pretty sure when I tried it, it was less than 25 types, but maybe I was wrong.

I will have to check into it because when I tested, for every type of plane, I added one static plane of the same type on the map and I still got that "spawn pause" That is how you mean to do it, right?

-hysteria http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RedDeth
10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
rgr several squads told me about it and when i did it 3 days ago it all disappeared.

in fullreal servers skins can be off cuz....well....it doesnt matter but in pit off skins are necessary

SithSpeeder
10-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Good discussion. I started a similar post a month or two ago both here and in the tech forums. At the time, everyone convinced me that the 1 Mb skins were definitely a stutter/lag problem.

But now, some of you guys seem convinced that it is NOT. I look forward to trying some of your servers with my skins.

RedD...I disagree with you about skins for full real, though. A good camo skin does make a difference in both gameplay _and_ in saving tracks later on (historically correct skins, for example, which further adds to the "full realism"...or just being able to pick out your own custom skin in the bunch).

* _54th_Speeder *

T_O_A_D
10-05-2004, 01:41 PM
I host small servers 10 or less. So I have skins on. But with that being said. Any of the clients could have skin download turned off, thus making your winter camo or any other nice paint usless. He would see default skin.

IL2 skins is on its death bed LOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hawgdog
10-05-2004, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
I for one miss skins. .... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif THAT WAS MY POINT

Man, I miss the skins big time.
In a P.11 only server back in the day we ran solid blue skins and solid red skins with little variation and no icons. What a hoot
Man, I miss the custom skins- bring back the 512 skin data base!!!!!!

adlabs6
10-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Since I fly on dialup, I often don't use skins, but for a while I was resizing my favorites to 512 so they would transfer faster for others to see. If more people would take the time to do this it would be for the general good. I can just imagine the situation with 128 player servers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

On servers with around 5 to 8 people, I have a chance of viewing other players 1024 skins during a couple hour play time if there aren't frequent skin changes. I clearly recall seeing more skins get loaded over my dialup back in the 512 skin days, it was quite fun to Shift/Ctrl F2 and view them all.

JG54_Arnie
10-06-2004, 05:31 AM
How can anyone say it wont make a difference to have skindownload on or off?? Ofcourse it wont make a difference if you test it with people having a good connection as generally it is a fast enough download for those. But when hosting a server and drawing lots of different people in, you will without a doubt also get people in that know nothing of skindownload and are on 56K or a slower cable. If you allow 20 players in and half of them has their own skin, those 56K'ers are gonna download 10Mb in total, ever tried downloading that on 56K without trying to run a game next to it? It takes 20 minutes if you are able to download full speed continuously. Even if it gets smeared out over a longer period it hampers their connection to the server. Plus by the time they are done flying they still havent finished those skindownloads.

For the small ammount of time being in visible range of enemy aircraft its alot of datatransfer if you ask me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Its more suitable for Coops with a few good friends where you fly formation alot.

RedDeth
10-06-2004, 02:15 PM
i really dont have an opinion on FR skins whether off or on.

just as a clarification.

and as an aside some keep saying skins on will cause a difference. this may be true but it is so minimal so as not to be noticed.

the real lagging is caused by not preloading planes and having toooo many planes as flyable.

also try not to load bombers and strafing planes as these cause tons of smoke columns at airbases which in turn cause major lagg.

with no bombers and no IL2s and no vulching ground targets and preloads and smaller planesets you can have everyone flying with skins and there will be no Noticing any lagg, freeze, or stutter.

once in a blue moon i have some fool flying with a 900 ping and probably a 28k connect and that one person laggs out the server. i just bann them and keep on keepin on.

oh and my conn is only 3,000/384

to be moved to my job soon sitting on a main internet node. speeds are off the chart above 12,000 each way i believe.

BaldieJr
10-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Good camo is a cheat?

Great.

Hey Ivan, what about the jerkfaces that paint the default skins to match the army colors? Like, all german planes end up blue and such.

Which is more game-the-game to you? A good camo or a distinct lack of camo?

crazyivan1970
10-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Baldie, don`t change my words... i said use of map texture for camo is a cheat in my book.

BaldieJr
10-06-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm not changing your words. I'm just pointing out that you inadvertantly allow one cheat when you disable the other.

I'd rather fight someone with a ground-texture skin than someone who changes all the default skins to blue/red

crazyivan1970
10-06-2004, 04:19 PM
can`t get around lamers, can we. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Hawgdog
10-06-2004, 05:00 PM
http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/images/smiles/loser.gif http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/images/smiles/wave.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/camo.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/HawgDog/grab0000.jpg

lil_labbit
10-06-2004, 08:57 PM
ROFL Hawg http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And hey! BaldieJr - nothing wrong with red http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilskin.jpg

JG54_Arnie
10-07-2004, 03:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
and as an aside some keep saying skins on will cause a difference. this may be true but it is so minimal so as not to be noticed.

the real lagging is caused by not preloading planes and having toooo many planes as flyable.

also try not to load bombers and strafing planes as these cause tons of smoke columns at airbases which in turn cause major lagg.

with no bombers and no IL2s and no vulching ground targets and preloads and smaller planesets you can have everyone flying with skins and there will be no Noticing any lagg, freeze, or stutter.

once in a blue moon i have some fool flying with a 900 ping and probably a 28k connect and that one person laggs out the server. i just bann them and keep on keepin on.

oh and my conn is only 3,000/384

to be moved to my job soon sitting on a main internet node. speeds are off the chart above 12,000 each way i believe. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you read my post? I'm interested to find out what you think about it...

Obviously, you choose the side where lagg isnt caused by the connections, but by the performance limits of the computers running at all the clients that come into the server..

Jasko76
10-07-2004, 04:34 AM
Cool skin, Labbit!

Hawgdog
10-07-2004, 05:46 AM
"Obviously, you choose the side where lagg isnt caused by the connections, but by the performance limits of the computers running at all the clients that come into the server.."

Packet loss is one thing, crappy computers, I think, contribute GREATLY to lousy online games.
I've been in games where the pings were under 100 (squad games) and we all knew who was making the lag- the amd with a 1.8, 512SDR and Ti4200 vid card http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
And I've been online where some pings were 200 and the game had less lag on respawn than in other games with lower pings.
Gotta be the PC,no?

JG54_Arnie
10-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Hmm, an AMD with those specs is perfectly able to run IL2 fine. So that shouldnt be the culprit, unless the owner of that PC has all options competely turned on and has his viruschecker running all the time.

I agree that the PC that runs the game on the other side can have a lot of influence on that particular player in the game. But I think you're overrating its influence on the game compared to the ammount of data that has to be sent with skins on. People with low end PC's should optimize where they can to get the game running fluently, nobody likes stutters and such. And a PC that is tweaked to run the game with quite a bit of action going on wont show problems. Around the time FB came out, just a little later, I started playing this game on an AMD 750 Mhz, with 512Mb memory and a Geforce 2. I was able to play the game online at a server allowing 8 people and had a blast. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif So dont tell me the specs you mentioned should be a problem.

But ofcourse there might be lots of people flying online without having their system tweaked to a level that allows them to play fluently online. So where the border lies between PC's or connections causing problems is hard to say.
But for the sake of 56K'ers and people with a low end connection, turning of skins should help alot. At least they themselves should know to turn it off. Then the server can run it without problems, but the same goes for this problem, how many out there know about it and will actually turn it off on their end?

Guess there's too many unknowns to say what is what here. But I know I dont want skin downloads on at the server for those that join without any knowledge on the game, have a nice phoneline that allows them to fly online and leave skin download on.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

georgeo76
10-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Maybe, but I'd say the larger problem is the opposite. Hosts w/ high-end computers designing and running servers w/o thought to those run the game w/ less.

A perfect example: map selection and object placement. the size of the map you choose makes a big difference as well as the # of objects you place on it. All of this is resident in RAM, and if you run servers w/ 4 hundred Megs of map/objects, then players w/ 512Mb of ram have little overhead to work w/.

It seems that too many Hosts believe that if a map works well for them, then it should for everyone.

Bottom line is that the host has control of his server. They control the map, planeset, # of players, skin DL, and quality of connection allowed to play on their server. If a server is lagy, then their is only one person who can be @ fault.

Packet loss is one thing, crappy computers, I think, contribute GREATLY to lousy online games.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JG54_Arnie
10-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Hmm, where´s all the experts? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BPO6_PANP
10-09-2004, 12:29 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif~S!
If skin DL is on in a server I allways try to use a 512 size skin to keep lag to a mim

all you have to do is use a paint program open up your custem skin and resize it to 512 and rename it ( p-39 camo ) to ( p_39 camo 512 )

then while joining a DF server pick your 512 skin to use online instead of the 1024 and help keep the lag down http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Hawgdog
10-09-2004, 12:33 PM
512 mem is bare minimum to keep it from dipping into your hard drive- like over cities, heavy smoke crash sites etc.

I think they should, on the next patch, redo all the skins BACK to 512

Simjock
10-09-2004, 01:46 PM
There are so many talented people out there shareing their skin designs it does seem a shame not to use them.

Now I have to admit when flying in Hyperloby all those skins can bog down the game, but I still use them with my regular groupies. It takes us 10 minutes to get organized, and by then all the skins have downloaded.